Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, recommendations for LA, Detroit, Chicago, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Washington DC, Philly and NY thanks fellas. Off in a couple weeks, can't wait.
LA: Venice, Echo Park/Silver lake area, Sunset Strip. If stand up comedy is your thing then you absolutely have to go to the comedy store. Go to a late show in the original room and be amazed at who turns up

Chicago: Logan square/Wicker park, Milwaukee Ave is great for a brewery/bar crawl

NY: Don't be afraid to spend some decent time in Brooklyn. Williamsburg, prospect park are and bushwick are sick. East village and west village/greenwich for all you good restaurants/bars. Walk the high line from west village to hudson yards then go check out the edge nearby

Heading back next year for summer. Looking for 2 more recommendations for a week stay each. Already heading to LA, NYC & Austin. 30 year old, love the bar scene, sports, scenery, nowhere to full on (already doing NYC). Done norleans, Miami, Nashville, Portland. Don't feel the need to go back. Any tips would be great!

Heading back next year for summer. Looking for 2 more recommendations for a week stay each. Already heading to LA, NYC & Austin. 30 year old, love the bar scene, sports, scenery, nowhere to full on (already doing NYC). Done norleans, Miami, Nashville, Portland. Don't feel the need to go back. Any tips would be great!

Never been to Chicago? not as full on as NYC.

I think Denver fits your criteria as well.

If you haven't been to San Francisco it's an absolute must, amazing quirky city with tonnes to do. Many sick neighbourhoods with different vibes, awesome Mexican food, very scenic and and the national parks/beach are awesome.

Chicago is cool, quite a good bar scene.

Boston is also good for all you've mentioned.

If you're looking for something more chill, San Diego is a hidden gem, tonnes of breweries.

If you haven't been to San Francisco it's an absolute must, amazing quirky city with tonnes to do. Many sick neighbourhoods with different vibes, awesome Mexican food, very scenic and and the national parks/beach are awesome.

Chicago is cool, quite a good bar scene.

Boston is also good for all you've mentioned.

If you're looking for something more chill, San Diego is a hidden gem, tonnes of breweries.

Thanks heaps!

Philly is good for a day or 2. Plenty of history and plenty of good food and bars about.

I'm there for one night for a gig, any cheesesteak/beer recommendations?

I'll be keeping the Cowboys beanie firmly in the suitcase
For cheesesteaks I did the famous cheessteak corner of Gino's and Pat's and rated Gino's the better of the two. Also did Cleavers downtown and that was the best of the 3 I had. The Reading Terminal Market is a good spot for food and I highly recommend the Roast pork sandwiches from DiNic's.

Bars nothing stood out but was told by the owner of the Whiskey Tavern in Chinatown NYC that Fishtown was a great spot for bars. Didn't actually make it there at nighttime to see and it is on the rough side of town near Kensington. Although it seem fairly safe any further North of there turns sketchy quick.

I was wearing my Niners beanie and did get a few sketchy looks. You do kinda forget that they are pretty territorial with there sports teams when you have grown up in Melbourne with multiple teams being supported.

For cheesesteaks I did the famous cheessteak corner of Gino's and Pat's and rated Gino's the better of the two. Also did Cleavers downtown and that was the best of the 3 I had. The Reading Terminal Market is a good spot for food and I highly recommend the Roast pork sandwiches from DiNic's.

Bars nothing stood out but was told by the owner of the Whiskey Tavern in Chinatown NYC that Fishtown was a great spot for bars. Didn't actually make it there at nighttime to see and it is on the rough side of town near Kensington. Although it seem fairly safe any further North of there turns sketchy quick.

I was wearing my Niners beanie and did get a few sketchy looks. You do kinda forget that they are pretty territorial with there sports teams when you have grown up in Melbourne with multiple teams being supported.
Yeah a 9ers beanie will get you looks in Philly, a Cowboys beanie will get you stabbed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely uninformed, ignorant and incorrect.

Have you even been to the US?
About 25 trips now. Been four times this year.

people who havent been to the US much need to know the cities are mostly the same. I certainly wouldnt do a domestic flight just to see a different city outside of new york, new orleans, las vegas or Orlando (if you have kids) unless you are a life long fan of a certain sporting team that you must see.

its the rural areas in the western half of the country that make the USA a great travel destination. Not the cities. They are pretty boring. If you are interested in cities go pretty much anywhere else in the world.

people who havent been to the US much need to know the cities are mostly the same. I certainly wouldnt do a domestic flight just to see a different city outside of new york, new orleans, las vegas or Orlando (if you have kids) unless you are a life long fan of a certain sporting team that you must see.

its the rural areas in the western half of the country that make the USA a great travel destination. Not the cities. They are pretty boring. If you are interested in cities go pretty much anywhere else in the world.
It's a bit disingenuous to make that generalization.

LA is very different to NYC, which is very different to SF, Boston has it's own character.

NYC and Chicago are somewhat similar but still have their own traits which make them worth seeing individually.

It's a bit disingenuous to make that generalization.

LA is very different to NYC, which is very different to SF, Boston has it's own character.

NYC and Chicago are somewhat similar but still have their own traits which make them worth seeing individually.
If you dig deep enough there is always nuance. There just isnt a lot In my opinion.

was in Seattle a couple of months ago and I literally felt like I was in Chicago or Washington on the other side of the country. Seattle is a dump by the way. Dont get what the appeal is. Walk down by the bay where in modern cities there would be entertainment districts but instead its mostly derelict factories. Just appalling. Night life was absolutely dead despite it being summer season. infrastructure just hasnt been upgraded. American cities are quite small too.

Yeah a 9ers beanie will get you looks in Philly, a Cowboys beanie will get you stabbed
If I'm not going to be stabbed in New York wearing a Red Sox jersey, or shot in New Orleans in an Atlanta jersey, I'm not gonna be harmed anywhere in America :innocent:

Why would you go twice let alone 23 times more when everything's the same?

Going on my experience Nashville felt different to Memphis

San Diego was different to LA

Chicago is different to New York

Seattle wasn't the same as Portland

I've been twice

2018 THANKSGIVING and WINTER 5 weeks
LA Houston New Orleans Memphis Nashville DC Philly NY then a week at my Aunt and Uncles in NJ

2023 MAY-JULY SPRING and SUMMER 10 weeks
LA Vegas Denver Chicago Buffalo Niagara Falls DC Philly New York Boston Springfield Syracuse Cleveland Cincinnati Columbus Pittsburgh Baltimore Atlantic City then 2 weeks at my Aunt and Uncle's in NJ

Going back FEB 2026 for WINTER and AUTUMN for 6 weeks
New York Miami Orlando Jacksonville Savannah Charlotte Richmond DC Philly Harrisburg Gettysburg Pittsburgh Canton Cleveland Cleveland Buffalo Niagara Falls (Canadian side) Syracuse Cooperstown then a week at my Aunt and Uncle's in NJ

I've been twice

2018 THANKSGIVING and WINTER 5 weeks
LA Houston New Orleans Memphis Nashville DC Philly NY then a week at my Aunt and Uncles in NJ

2023 MAY-JULY SPRING and SUMMER 10 weeks
LA Vegas Denver Chicago Buffalo Niagara Falls DC Philly New York Boston Springfield Syracuse Cleveland Cincinnati Columbus Pittsburgh Baltimore Atlantic City then 2 weeks at my Aunt and Uncle's in NJ

Going back FEB 2026 for WINTER and AUTUMN for 6 weeks
New York Miami Orlando Jacksonville Savannah Charlotte Richmond DC Philly Harrisburg Gettysburg Pittsburgh Canton Cleveland Cleveland Buffalo Niagara Falls (Canadian side) Syracuse Cooperstown then a week at my Aunt and Uncle's in NJ

Seems like a waste of a holiday with all the cities being the same apparantly.

I went 3 times

1997 - Los Angeles (Anaheim), San Francisco, San Diego

2014 - Miami, Atlanta, Orlando, New Orleans, Baltimore, New York, Boston, Las Vegas, Boise, Los Angeles (Santa Monica)

2017 - Houston

The only places I want to go for non sporting reasons (Buffalo and Oklahoma City) are Philladelphia, Seattle and Washington DC.

Though, I wouldn't be opposed to going back to Orlando (I need to do Epcot), Los Angeles (California Adventure), New York (I went in ignorant last time, I want to give it another go) Boston (Loved it), Boise (Loved it) and Las Vegas (I want to focus on the non-resort aspect next time as I now know Vegas offers a whole lot more)

Going on my experience Nashville felt different to Memphis

San Diego was different to LA

Chicago is different to New York

Seattle wasn't the same as Portland

Of course they are. Not sure what the poster was smoking - bizarre comment from someone that either has not experienced real America or has an unhealthy hate. His work trips must be a hoot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back