FTA-TV Vale Bert Newton

Remove this Banner Ad

Truly one of the funniest men I've ever seen on TV. In his prime, as the second banana to Don Lane, as I knew him, he was amazing. His years with Graham Kennedy were during my early childhood so I never really saw them except in a few clips. But Bert's performances with Lane, especially at the wheel, were legendary. He made watching The Logies a must because he was truly a great host of a show like that. Bert had a long history of working in radio too and was a host of a pop music show on 9 in its early days. His real break came when he started working with Graham Kennedy on IMT. He was always my favorite Australian media performer for as long as I can remember. Old Moon Face is no longer with us, and the world is a little colder as a result. RIP Bert Newton.

Wow, he from the first era of television in Australia. From the generation of Olivia-Newton-John, John Farnham, Bee Gees etc and obviously a tv presenter of sorts but comic style before our time and of older generations.
Meet his wife through that industry too I believe and seem like such a great couple. Despite the fame when no longer on tv it always seemed like they were their for their mentally sick son and just lovely people beyond the tv industry. Sorry for their loss as a family.
He was fun character I enjoyed as a little kid staying up late trying to watch The Don Lane show with Moon Face the Yanks sidekick.

You were a wonderful entertainer from pioneering years in Australian tv entertainment when you all making it up when it was something new for your generation.
R.I.P Bert.

Pete Ford on AW just shared a couple anecdotes about Bert, including the one time he showed up to a funeral- except it was the wrong funeral. The congregation was honoured tho that Newtown was in attendance and called him up to do an impromptu eulogy. And then the time they tricked Don Lane into believing they were live on air (they weren't) and giving out Lane's private details like his address, phone number etc, giving him a legit heart attack. :tearsofjoy:

Hilarious and just so quick with the humour and was always happy to give as well as get the barbs.

Sadly the world is too scared to do half of what he (and his era) did for fear of maybe upsetting someone today, or in a few years when the rules on what we are allowed to say will no doubt have changed again.

If you're a certain age, then you grew up watching this bloke just having the time of his life.

He's almost a de facto uncle to a generation of us.
I mostly remember the late 70's-early 80's era, mum and dad roaring watching the Don Lane show.

The last of his kind "Moonface"

Radio, TV, theatre and numerous philanthropic and charitable contributions for 6+decades

Always so generous with his time. A class act and a true gentleman.

Graham, Don and Bert reunited at last. I bet they have everyone rolling on the floor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn't begin to think how much of Bert's work I've seen across so many shows and outlets. We will never see the likes of his quick wit and spontaneous on air nature again because even if there was one similar - PC would have him muzzled and toned so far down that it would be pointless. Worked so seamlessly with both Don Lane and Graham Kennedy yet somehow redefined himself altogether with hosting Good Morning Australia for 14 years in a great illustration of how adaptable he was.

A diehard Fitzroy supporter also. True giant of Australian TV who doesn't deserve to be remembered for one speech very late in his time at the Logies but for every moment of the career before that.

While going through some of my late mother's things tonight that I brought from the states four years ago, I came across a note on 3UZ stationery from Bert to my mum who had written to him after seeing him on the Don Lane Show on TV during my parents' visit in May 1979. Very nice. Very personal. Mum kept it in a box with other personal notes and mementos from her trips here. She thought that he was hilarious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back