Vale Catman

Remove this Banner Ad

Who was his old man?

Played in the 1963 flag

Roy West

His father, Roy West, was a premiership full back for Geelong in the 1960s – a member of the 1963 flag-winning side, and also among the Cats team that lost the 1967 flag to Richmond.

I remember back in the 90s there was a cheersquad leader at Geelong who would actually lead farken chants. None of this 'potato patch' bullshit that goes on now. Some raucous, LOUD cheering

The boys and girls on the Ablett Terrace are much better

Could grow up to get dressed up every week as a cat to go to the footy :p*

Wonder what the other kids were called? Joy?

*I joke, but I reckon Troy's a ******* legend
Maybe also has a brother Leeroy and a sister Illinois :)

But yeah, AFL would be worse if fans like Troy were not part of it and all we had for points of difference were cousin-lovin' Croatian flogs.

There is something about the whole cheersquad thing that attracts flogs like a magnet. Maybe it's cause there's no age limit?

There were certain adult members of that cheer squad who belittled him and really made his life hell. Troy was there for the kids. They loved him. He would probably love the game more then half the a/holes who were making his life hell. They hated seeing him having a good time and obviously he was catching attention. But your statement could not be anymore correct. I've seen it first hand. Most are all middle aged men who think their Sh*t dont stink. Then if you "cross" them lookout. The suns had sooooo much infighting with their cheersquad. i think theyve had 5 or more leaders now. Troys a good bloke. He does put himself in situations that trigger the trolls to come after him and its not needed.

There were certain adult members of that cheer squad who belittled him and really made his life hell. Troy was there for the kids. They loved him. He would probably love the game more then half the a/holes who were making his life hell. They hated seeing him having a good time and obviously he was catching attention. But your statement could not be anymore correct. I've seen it first hand. Most are all middle aged men who think their Sh*t dont stink. Then if you "cross" them lookout. The suns had sooooo much infighting with their cheersquad. i think theyve had 5 or more leaders now. Troys a good bloke. He does put himself in situations that trigger the trolls to come after him and its not needed.
Yeah this. We love to have passionate supporters like this in the game, just look how “off-the-wall” some American fans are and everybody loves it.
Unfortunately a few old sticks in the mud take that enjoyment away. Subiaco oval back in the 90s was horrendously filled with these ass-holes. 😢🤦🏻‍♂️

We need more of this;

B8824036-FF81-48F0-B641-2F6FDB43271C.gif

Things got so bad a few years ago that the Bulldogs basically sacked the cheersquad and started again. A few people run them like their own little fiefdoms. Power-trippers.

Things got so bad a few years ago that the Bulldogs basically sacked the cheersquad and started again. A few people run them like their own little fiefdoms. Power-trippers.
Yep, power-trippers for sure. I reckon after the GF in 2016 it would have been rife at the dogs

Yep, power-trippers for sure. I reckon after the GF in 2016 it would have been rife at the dogs
I just checked it was the end of 2013. That was around a dismal few years for us too.

I don't know exactly what happened with the Bulldogs Cheer Squad, but I felt bad for their former leader David Porter (the big man) who actually played a big role in saving Footscray from going broke/merging with Fitzroy in 1989.

Doesn't go to AFL games anymore, just Footsvrsy VFL games and I think it's a real pity he missed out on their 2016 flag

Cannot condone any bullying or cheersquad supporter abuse though.

Cheersquads probably should try reorganize themselves more like A League Active Supporter groups (of which I have been a member on and off of Melbourne Heart/City since the club started, including this year's memorable Premiership and Toilet Seat/Grand Final double which was 2 of the best nights of my life)

We have zero tolerance for kind of homophobic/racist or any other kind or discrimination and this had always gone on even before the A League cracked down on Militant A League Active Supporter Groups (Melbourne Victory and Western Sydney Wanderers being the prime offenders for Hooliganism)

Anyhow the only logical reason for an adult to join an AFl cheer squad these days is apparently there are greater chances of getting a grand ticket (least before the covid pandemic hit us)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah this. We love to have passionate supporters like this in the game, just look how “off-the-wall” some American fans are and everybody loves it.
Unfortunately a few old sticks in the mud take that enjoyment away. Subiaco oval back in the 90s was horrendously filled with these ass-holes. 😢🤦🏻‍♂️

We need more of this;

View attachment 1237413
Went to an Eagles / Cats game at Subiaco in 2007, and we were forced to sit next to the Eagles cheer squad. Got cracked over the back of the head with a flag pole by some old bat, for the crime of clapping a Geelong goal.
The 22 goal+ margin might have had something to do with her angst.... but without doubt, Eagles crowds are the worst by far

Went to an Eagles / Cats game at Subiaco in 2007, and we were forced to sit next to the Eagles cheer squad. Got cracked over the back of the head with a flag pole by some old bat, for the crime of clapping a Geelong goal.
The 22 goal+ margin might have had something to do with her angst.... but without doubt, Eagles crowds are the worst by far
The old bat was DanWA and you ducked into the flag pole.

Went to an Eagles / Saints game at Subiaco in 1998 and we sat next to the Eagles cheer squad too, after they were leading all day we stormed home in the last quarter to win the game. I ended up getting in a tug of war with my Saints scarf with an Eagles cheer squad numpty after I waved it in their face after the siren, they were all going apeshit and booing the umpires as we won with a controversial holding the ball free kick, it was hilarious.

Went on a gameday outing in 95’ in Perth. Started with a Cats club breakfast at their famous Observation City hotel on Scarborough beach with Conan Ayers doing his best speech as new coach followed by champas and such.
They organized busses to Subi and as soon as we arrived it started. “* you pricks”, “you don’t belong here” blah blah etc. Ended up ripping the eagles brutally that day and my god they were pissed.
Return buss to the hotel was repeatedly hit with bricks and stones before it even left the carpark.

The indigenous females were especially bitter, hitting the windows, spitting etc.

Great day. 👍

Went on a gameday outing in 95’ in Perth. Started with a Cats club breakfast at their famous Observation City hotel on Scarborough beach with Conan Ayers doing his best speech as new coach followed by champas and such.
They organized busses to Subi and as soon as we arrived it started. “fu** you pricks”, “you don’t belong here” blah blah etc. Ended up ripping the eagles brutally that day and my god they were pissed.
Return buss to the hotel was repeatedly hit with bricks and stones before it even left the carpark.

The indigenous females were especially bitter, hitting the windows, spitting etc.

Great day. 👍
West Coast supporters certainly are vile people! I can’t believe you were one of them for two years!

They organized busses to Subi and as soon as we arrived it started. “fu** you pricks”, “you don’t belong here” blah blah etc. Ended up ripping the eagles brutally that day and my god they were pissed.

Great day. 👍

At that same game back in 1998 the numpties in the West Coast cheer squad told me to go back to Melbourne which was amusing since I'm from Perth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back