Vale Catman

Remove this Banner Ad

A sad day for the Bay. Catman is hanging up the whiskers.

Colourful Cats footy fan Troy ‘Catman’ West has hung up his make-up and his blue and white costumes, citing online hate as one of the factors for his decision.

West posted a “public statement” on social media confirming he was “severing all ties with the Geelong cheer squad and Geelong Football Club”, hinting at a falling out.
West — the son of 1961 Carji Greeves medallist and 1963 Geelong premiership player Roy West — never had an official role at the Cats, but was well known for his lavish costumes and vocal presence at games.

He was often asked to pose for photos with fellow footy fans and his face was regularly shown on the TV coverage of Cats games. But he no longer plans to attend games as Catman.
“I will still come to the footy but only as a general member,” he said.

In his statement on Facebook, West conceded the high public profile of his Catman persona had attracted unwanted attention and affected his mental health.
“I need to take control of the Catman persona that I’ve worked hard to create. I’m an openly gay, confident, loud, abrasive, energetic, creative, colourful and popular person and that sometimes isn’t what some sections of the community like,” he wrote.
“With fame within the AFL community, there are drawbacks. There’s another side of life. There’s the constant online hate on footy forums. It’s not fun when a video of me goes viral, and I read through 20,000 comments of absolute hate, abuse, homophobia, discrimination and the worst things imaginable you can say to people.

West said the dramas had made him angry and bitter, and conceded he had responded to others with inflammatory comments on social media.

“I do respond with aggression and say some things in response as I struggle to ignore things. I just don’t get why people can hate me so much when they don’t know me.”
After issuing his 1100-word statement, West asked for privacy, saying he would continue to support the Cats and wished the club’s cheer squad well, but did not want to discuss the matter further.

“There just isn’t room in this day and age for an outrageous colourful gay man with a big witty mouth. I’m old school. I’m not politically correct. I wasn’t brought up that way,” he wrote.
“I struggle to adapt to the new cancel culture that’s insidiously infiltrated society. There are just too many people out to get me. I no longer wish to be under such scrutiny.”
He closed with: “Just give me a few weeks to process the fallout from this and then start messaging me to check on me or chat. I’m fine. I’m strong and resilient. I am Catman, hear me roar”.

IdleCraftyFoal-max-1mb.gif

images

To clarify Catman has cited the following reasons for his departure.
  • The rigors of fame
  • Mental health
  • Footy forums (I wonder what he means by that?)
  • Online hate described as abuse, homophobia, discrimination
and also
  • Cancel culture :drunk:

Taking off my Bay 13 hat for a moment, Catman is a legend - always happy to stop for a chat and a photo with Cats fans and oppo fans alike and I think it's a lesser footy community without him (and others like him at other clubs).

It's a shame he's decided to hang up to face paint, but you can understand the decision.

I hope Bosk is okay

images - 2021-04-20T121402.879.jpeg

(just kidding, Bosk never goes to games)

I liked this bit......

......... when complaining about old school, non-politically correct people who weren't brought up around loud out-there homosexuals

Political correctness has gone mad except when people are being politically incorrect to me.

Taking off my Bay 13 hat for a moment, Catman is a legend - always happy to stop for a chat and a photo with Cats fans and oppo fans alike and I think it's a lesser footy community without him (and others like him at other clubs).

It's a shame he's decided to hang up to face paint, but you can understand the decision.

I hope Bosk is okay

View attachment 1107162

Anyone over 15 who puts face paint on at games (unless it's a grand final) is an emotionally stunted flog, but it must be a Geelong thing

images

Anyone over 15 who puts face paint on at games (unless it's a grand final) is an emotionally stunted flog, but it must be a Geelong thing

images

Yeah look, I can understand why you wouldn't want to be identified as a Carlton supporter after the game finishes. Easier just to tuck your scarf into your backpack and blend into the crowd 🥳

President, CEO, List manager, Half Cat, Catman...........when does it end. Can we blame the exodus on Chris Scott?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Bosk is okay

View attachment 1107162

Well said, there should always be room for passionate supporters who love a friendly sledge without taking it too far. s**t talking on here is one thing, but online abuse of another is completely out of bounds.

......in other words Geelong's window has slammed shut and the bandwagoner is jumping ship. :laughv1:

Really though its amazing this flog dresses the way he does and then has the temerity to complain he's getting the wrong reaction out of people.

No s**t sherlock! That's the price you pay for blatant attention whoredom and dressing like a complete twat.

Well almost but they’re not in fancy dress & facepaint.
"fancy dress"?? please use "costume" to be more PC and not offend anyone, I'm tired of dealing with all these reports.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back