Toast Vale Garry Sidebottom

Remove this Banner Ad

Close but not quite! Would have been difficult for Jezza to replace him after 2 rounds in 79 seeing he captn coached the Blues to a flag that year!
We came last in 79 after just missing the finals in 78! It was after Rd 2 in 80 when Patto was sacked and Jezza took the gig!
Cheers mate. It was a long time ago...

Did we lose the players after 78 or 79?

Sidey was a fantastic player especially in his first season at the Saints . He absolutely dominated and he was very tough too . He copped 4 weeks for knocking out the Essendon player , and the Saints loss those 4 games . When he came back I think we started winning again . Yes we had Sidey , Big Carl and Jeff Sauru but we also had Robbie Muir terrorising everyone. Muir also missed games through suspension of course . But when they all played the other sides spent the game looking over their shoulders .
Back to Sidebottom . After starring that first season something happened to Sidey , he seem to lose his hardness and his form completely dropped away . So much so that he was traded to the Cats , not even sure who for , at the end of the next season. It was a dramatic fall from grace . He struggled at Geelong and he is often laughed at for missing a bus ride in for a final . But the facts are different. One of the Geelong staff forgot to tell Sidey that he was back in the team for the final . At the time Sidey copped the blame but it wasn’t his fault . However the staff at Geelong kept their mouth shut for a few years about the blame . Sidey was traded to Fitzroy to make him seem the scapegoat. Eventually he went back home . But all through the troubles Sidey kept his cool and remained a respected man by all except some people in the media who still to this day blame him for missing the bus.

Don’t Panic !!
I could be wrong but I think our mid season slump in 78 had more to do with internal matters of St Kilda being typical St Kilda.

Might have been player payment issues. Plugger66 would know more.

I think Sideys form slump coincided with the loss of big Carl.

I could be wrong but I think our mid season slump in 78 had more to do with internal matters of St Kilda being typical St Kilda.

Might have been player payment issues. Plugger66 would know more.

I think Sideys form slump coincided with the loss of big Carl.

You could well be right , was a long time ago and my memory isnt very reliable these days , lol.

Close but not quite! Would have been difficult for Jezza to replace him after 2 rounds in 79 seeing he captn coached the Blues to a flag that year!
We came last in 79 after just missing the finals in 78! It was after Rd 2 in 80 when Patto was sacked and Jezza took the gig!
Jezza made an immediate impact for memory in 1980 winning one & drawing one I think. Geez the Roys finished last in 1980, after making the finals in 1979. The Saints didn't have a very good year either as I recall. Still I love that era of footy. And I did like watching the Roys play the Saints at Moorabbin too.

Had the pleasure of meeting Gary & Alan during a trip to Perth in the early 2000’s (the game v Freo where Guerra ironed out Byron Schammer early & we managed to hold off the Dockers after we’d made a fast start).

The WA Saints had organised a prematch & we were then ferried to Subi on double decker buses. My mate & I headed to the top deck of one to see the Sidebottom bro’s sitting across the aisle. Lovely fellas.

Vale Sidey, another wonderful Moorabbin memory that I was lucky enough to share with my late dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back