Vale: Philippoussis - career over

Remove this Banner Ad

kretchy said:
Philippoussis has got himself into the Scottsdale event this week and is drawn to play Tomas Behrend first round, in what is a pretty weak field.
#29 Ancic will await in the 2nd round.

Past Tournament Champions at Scottsdale:

2004 - Vincent Spadea
2003 - Lleyton Hewitt
2002 - Andre Agassi
2001 - Francisco Clavet
2000 - Lleyton Hewitt
1999 - Jan-Michael Gambill
1998 - Andre Agassi
1997 - Mark Philippoussis
1996 - Wayne Ferreira
1995 - Jim Courier
1994 - Andre Agassi
1993 - Andre Agassi
1992 - Stefan Pescosolido
1989 - Ivan Lendl
1988 - Mikael Perfors
1987 - Brad Gilbert
1986 - John McEnroe

red+black said:
his latest ranking should be posted on Steve within a few hours. Molik is up to #9.
The new rankings are up on atptennis.com. Arthurs is +10 (in the past week) to #99, Luczak is +40 to #115 (!!!) and Poo Head is -2 to #201.

This from the Age about the likely line-up of our Davis Cup squad:

The Australian squad for next week's Davis Cup tie against Austria in Sydney will be announced today, with the selection of the increasingly enigmatic Mark Philippoussis the cause of most conjecture.

Australian Davis Cup captain John Fitzgerald would not comment on the make-up of his initial four-man squad.

But because he missed the Australian Open as a result of an adductor strain and has not won a competitive match since Wimbledon last June, it would be no surprise if Philippoussis was left out - even with the tie to be played on the suitable grass surface.

While the unavailability of Philippoussis has been a controversial issue in the past, the selectors may well decide the side can beat a relatively weak Austrian team with world No. 3 Lleyton Hewitt and veteran Wayne Arthurs playing the singles rubbers and that Philippoussis is better off trying to work on his game in the US.

If Philippoussis does not play, the fourth - most likely non-playing - spot in the Australian squad could be a choice between young left-hander Chris Guccione, who won a Challenger event in Tasmania two weeks ago, and Scott Draper, who is balancing careers as both professional tennis player and golfer.

Todd Woodbridge and Arthurs are certain to play doubles.

As it is, captain John Fitzgerald and coach Wally Masur won't even have any fresh losing form on which to base their assessment of Philippoussis. The 27-year-old is scheduled to make his return from injury at a tournament in Scottsdale, Arizona, this week.

However, his first-round match against the German Thomas Berend has not been scheduled until Wednesday morning (Melbourne time) - 24 hours after the Davis Cup squad is announced.

Fitzgerald said he had spoken to Philippoussis last week and he seemed to be in good shape. "His preparation there will have a lot to do with (his selection for the Davis Cup)," he said.

But he refused to speculate about his chances of returning for the tie. "I'd hate to say that," said Fitzgerald, when asked if Philippoussis was certain to be picked.

Amazingly, poo head has moved up 3 places to #188, and is continuing to deny worthy players from qualifying by receiving wildcard after wildcard. All in vain anyway.

red+black said:
Amazingly, poo head has moved up 3 places to #188, and is continuing to deny worthy players from qualifying by receiving wildcard after wildcard. All in vain anyway.
Would've got a few points from a gutsy showing in the challenger event in the Challenger in Sunrise, Florida. A corageous first round performance overcoming Jeff Morrison 7-6 in the second set, before falling in three sets to one of the two short people Christophe Rochus. All though to be fair the Scud pushed him all the way before folding 6-2 in the final set.

I think hes going the wrong way in his career, but with all these girls hes getting, something must be going up :D

He's out of action for the next month due to the injury he suffered in his win in Miami over Rochus.
He also has yet another new coach this time Andrew Florent on a two month trial basis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he's finished, has been for a year or two, now he's got the 12 year old fiancee he won't be back, wasted talent, heart like a pea

forget him for Davis Cup, he doesn't want to play anymore, in fact I don't reckon we will see him in OZ much anymore

demon_dave said:
forget him for Davis Cup, he doesn't want to play anymore, in fact I don't reckon we will see him in OZ much anymore
Doesn't affect me..

For the past week:
Poo -2 to #182.
Todd Reid +7 to #215
Chris Guccione +55 (!!) to #222

Poo soon to be the 6th ranked Aussie.

For the past week:
Luczak +6 to #131
Poo -3 to #185.
Todd Reid +1 to #214
Chris Guccione steady at #222

Poo is defending first round losses in Rome and Hamburg in coming weeks. Needs wildcards. Apparently he's guaranteed one for the French, where surprise surprise, he lost first round last year.

red+black said:
Apparently he's guaranteed one for the French, where surprise surprise, he lost first round last year.
Thats interesting, I know the French and Australian Tennis Federation where they have a receprical agreement where the French get one women's and one male wildcard in the Australian Open and Australia get the same in the French Open.
I'm pretty sure that it is the Australian tennis Federation that selects who get the wildcard for the French Open, I was hoping Luczak would get it after his good results on clay earlier in the year.

kretchy said:
I'm pretty sure that it is the Australian tennis Federation that selects who get the wildcard for the French Open, I was hoping Luczak would get it after his good results on clay earlier in the year.

He should get it. He is giving it his best to get somewhere and is entering qualifying wherever there is a clay tournament. Philipoussiss is washed up, and there is no benefit in him getting it, especially on clay.

Well done to Guccione.

With the Scud, can you blame him? What a tough situation he's in, to chase girls or play tennis? Seriously if I or you were in his position the temptation is there. it is disappointing though, he has plenty of time to chase chicks after tennis i guess.

For the past week:
Arthurs -16 to #90
Luczak -3 to #134
Poo steady at #185 (ie. a good week)
Todd Reid +3 to #211
Chris Guccione +4 at #218

For the past week:
Arthurs +9 to #81
Luczak +3 to #131
Poo +2 to #183
Todd Reid steady at #211
Chris Guccione steady at #218