Vale: Philippoussis - career over

Remove this Banner Ad

shiva25 said:
In all fairness he has won us a Davis cup and he has made a few finals in some grand slam tournements in the past and i think he is quite happy with what he has achieved.

Philippoussis was over-hyped in that match. He did not win us the Davis Cup by any stretch of the imagination.

Lleyton Hewitt still had a rubber to play, so if Poo lost, Hewitt would have taken it home with ease.

Also, Poo lost his first rubber which put Australia under immense pressure. How many other rubber's did he lose throughout the year? A few I think you will find. We always relied on Hewitt and the doubles to get us through.

Poo didn't win the Davis cup tie. Hewitt and the doubles did by bringing us 2 - 1 up coming into the final 2 reverse singles in which Poo's match was the first.

I remember that tie very well. It was a media beat up when he won. They all treated him like a hero when he was not a hero.

Poo a hero? Nope!

There have been very few occasions when the big Poo has been able to maintain a consistent high performance throughout every round of a big tournament.

He has fared better in Davis Cup for a couple of reasons. One is that he usually plays only the two singles rubbers. The other is that he has a team coach and team mates on the sideline to hold his hand and boost his confidence in moments of self-doubt.

I sometimes wonder how good a tennis player Lleyton Hewitt would be if he had the Poo's physique and power, of the Poo would be if he had Hewey's guts and determination.

Grandpa said:
Philippoussis was over-hyped in that match. He did not win us the Davis Cup by any stretch of the imagination.

Lleyton Hewitt still had a rubber to play, so if Poo lost, Hewitt would have taken it home with ease.

Also, Poo lost his first rubber which put Australia under immense pressure. How many other rubber's did he lose throughout the year? A few I think you will find. We always relied on Hewitt and the doubles to get us through.

Poo didn't win the Davis cup tie. Hewitt and the doubles did by bringing us 2 - 1 up coming into the final 2 reverse singles in which Poo's match was the first.

I remember that tie very well. It was a media beat up when he won. They all treated him like a hero when he was not a hero.

Poo a hero? Nope!

Couldn't have said it any better.

Poo has done very well to mitigate the slide. Kudos to him, and everyone that gives him a wildcard.

The Scud was back in action again this week in Washington thanks to another wildcard.
He managed to lose first round to Luis Horna from Peru.

Nathan Healey was a first round winner before going down to Rusedski in the second round. Arthurs currently a set down against Berdych.

Code:
###                    Move
  5 Hewitt, Lleyton     - 1
 98 Arthurs, Wayne      + 1
175 Luczak, Peter       +13
184 Guccione, Chris     - 5
205 Philippoussis, Mark + 4
224 Baccanello, Paul    + 3
239 Kimmich, Marc       - 1
263 Smeets, Robert      + 5
270 Healey, Nathan      -13
Interestingly, Safin moved up from #5 to #3 despite not playing. And Hewitt dropped from #4 to #5 despite making the semi. Poo is hanging in there thanks to wildcard after wildcard. Hopefully 2006 sees the end of the charity and if he's serious about tennis, he'll earn his way, otherwise, he should give it up.

The bloke needs to start acting or singing or something cause he can't play tennis.
He was a star, then got bored and went after some tail.
On court loser, off court superstar

Mark the Dud has been guaranteed yet another wildcard, this time for the 2006 Australian Open. I am convinced now that no matter how many wildcards the dud receives, he will never get his ranking high enough to warrant direct entry to a Grand Slam or Masters Series tournament.

It's about time the wildcards stopped. He never lived up to expectation at the Oz even when he was in supposed form. WIldcards should be distributed by the ATP, not the organisers of the majors. Why should he get special treatment ahead of a rising star from Asia, Africa or anywhere else?

red+black said:
Mark the Dud has been guaranteed yet another wildcard, this time for the 2006 Australian Open. I am convinced now that no matter how many wildcards the dud receives, he will never get his ranking high enough to warrant direct entry to a Grand Slam or Masters Series tournament.

It's about time the wildcards stopped. He never lived up to expectation at the Oz even when he was in supposed form. WIldcards should be distributed by the ATP, not the organisers of the majors. Why should he get special treatment ahead of a rising star from Asia, Africa or anywhere else?

What a joke. At his age and with his committment he is never going to get back to where he was so why waste it on him?

Im The Gun said:
The bloke needs to start acting or singing or something cause he can't play tennis.
He was a star, then got bored and went after some tail.
On court loser, off court superstar
What he needs is a coach who understands him and the pressures a sporting icon faces.

Shane Warne is the man.

He's doing well to keep his ranking at 203. Not sure where or how to find his ATP points breakdown to see where he could possibly lose points. Three wins in Holland in June moved him up 46 places. For someone that doesn't play often, and when he does, he loses first round, I'm surprised his ranking hasn't dipped further. I reckon the first round losses, thanks to wildcard after wildcard, are keeping him into the 300s and 400s.

On brighter news, Hewitt is up from #5 to #3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THIS WEEK'S RANKINGS

Hewitt 5 (DOWN 2)
Arthurs 97 (NO CHANGE-3rd Round in Tokyo)
Luczak 159 (UP 16-2nd Round in Metz after qualifying for Main Draw)
Guccione 164 (UP 2)
Poo 180 (UP 23-Qtr Finals in Metz after another Wildcard)

No-one in main draw of 3 main tour events this week.

AS OF 7/11/2005

Hewitt 4 (NO CHANGE)
Arthurs 99 (UP 1)
Luczak 146 (UP 14-Won a Challenger on the Sunshine Coast)
Guccione 158 (NO CHANGE)
POO 171 (Up 1)
Jones 245 (UP 57-Lost to Luczak in the Sun.Coast Challenger)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back