News Vale Shane Warne - Passed away at 52 from suspected heart attack in Koh Samui

Remove this Banner Ad

Was watching ABC24 last night and saw this at the bottom of screen and thought they had it wrong, it was Rodney Marsh. Then switched to BBC and saw the same I was shocked and saddened.

I still recall his first appearance (against India?) and thought he was a dud, how wrong was I?

A sad loss, one of the greats of Aussie sport.

Just tragic, so young. Warney was one of those talents that only come along once every few decades or so, who change the game, and for a while seem bigger than their sport. I am totally raw and just shocked.

Sometimes the brain reads a headline and it just doesn't compute. I've had a complex relationship in my head with Shane over the journey, and I think it says more about me than a bloke I never knew. I think he's expressed a few regrets about his family but i think they would be the only ones. In a peculiar way, he is a role model on how to approach life.

My very first thought when I looked at the top story on my phone this morning (where it said that his mates had worked hard to try and revive him) was that it must be an old story that had never previously come out, and was only being told now because Rod Marsh had just died from a heart attack. I thought it must be that Warney had only now decided to tell of a "near-death experience". It's just too ridiculous that two of the finest cricketers Australia has produced (and the world has seen) have died in the space of a day or so.

Probably about 33 years ago I had a brief chat with Shane Warne in an Adelaide pub, one I've certainly always remembered. He was with the Cricket Academy at the time (not long after this he and the Academy parted ways!). I knew he was meant to be very talented even as a youngster, also that he had a bit of a reputation for being a 'lad', and that he had played some football for St Kilda. So I asked him about his football-playing days. He said after playing U19's for the Saints they gave him a game in the Seconds. It was against Carlton, and his opponent that day was Mil Hanna (who was a very talented footballer). He then said "they never gave me another game (in the Seconds)". He always came across as someone who had plenty of self confidence, so I was impressed that he was happy to send himself up like that!

Last edited:
So lucky to have had such a hero and supreme talent to watch as a young kid. Everyone just wanted to be a leggie for so long there, so many hot days in the backyard with my brother or mates pretending I was warnie, trying to rip massive leggies… getting carted mostly, but to see a tennis ball bounce (maybe even spin!) past the bat like warnie does, what a feeling!

I kind of forgot what a hero he was for me, was devo when he retired, but this is something much worse. RIP mate.

I remember the day I met Warney at Southland and we were having a chat to him... got his autograph. He was such a cool guy having a chat to us annoying little kids until one of them decides to say "I spin the ball better than you" and he was gone after that... that kid ruined more time with the great man for me.

Actually shed a tear over this. Gutted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greatness on and off the field, was himself 100% of the time...did not give a sh*t about the media. I guess ultimately he paid for his lifestyle choices with his life. RIP
True 42 - he seemed from the outside to be full throttle on and off the field but had no self censorship button.

My biggest on field disappointment with Shane was when he holed out on 96 :'(

I’m having an IPA for Warney. Unlikely to stop at one
Good on ya jmac I was having a chuckle to myself imagining both Marshy and then Warne banging on the pearly gates god's gunna have his work cut out keeping the beer fridge stocked up with those boy's

Good on ya jmac I was having a chuckle to myself imagining both Marshy and then Warne banging on the pearly gates god's gunna have his work cut out keeping the beer fridge stocked up with those boy's
Very true mate. Just can’t believe these blokes are gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back