Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos
I would suggest it's time for a rebuild but we already did that.

Welcome to the perpetual rebuild. We trade, we draft, we get new coaches and new S&C people but the outcome is always the same. We have become a club that is entrenched in the 10 to 16 part of the table and we don't seem to have the answer about how to get out of the holding pattern we find ourselves in.

Whilst I don't claim to have the answers perhaps if we resist the urge to try hail Mary trades in future (Hogan is exhibit A), stop drafting players that have slipped down the draft order owing to injury (Valente) and make the hard call to cull out some of the permanently injured players earlier (S.Hill)

There are no easy solutions but we seem to lack any coherent method of improving our year to year on field results.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
Something I'm struggling with is that outside of Dale Alcock every bloke in coaching and senior positions are only a few years older than David Mundy.

I can see that there was a massive disconnect with Ross Lyon, the Steve's and some of Lyon's assistant mates in Anthony Rock.. but I do think it's good to keep a couple of mature bodies around, particularly as JL is so young and fresh into his coaching career.

Boyd, Carr, Hale are all blokes who could've gone to high school with JL or Mundy - there's a need for a calm, older head. I can see why people wanted Worsfold in some type of Director of Football role, it's not about being a tactician it's about guiding staff through key developmental stages.

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
Kane Cornes is right, we don't have a rivalry with WC. We don't have the mongrel, the hate, the passion to win, it's infuriating that nobody seems to care that Gaff caved in AB's jaw, he's never been made to earn a single contest against us since, how we aren't crashing into JK or Darling to make them earn their goals, or bully their younger players like they do ours. We are walkovers to them and don't seem to be able to do anything to stop it.

Also I'm not giving up on JL yet, but I've got a real sinking feeling that he is the type that is much better suited to an assistant coaching role than a senior one.

As an assistant you can develop those bonds and nuances with your players and tap into what helps them individually week to week throughout training, without the extra stress and responsibility. That is supposed to be JL's strength and what garnered him all his coaching credits.

But the senior coach needs to dish out full blooded rev-ups, read the energy in the room and feed it with real charisma, on top of having a sixth sense for in-game tactics and reading of the play as it is unfolding.
I don't think JL has this in him.

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Our 5-4-3-2-1 polling for the game.

Fyfe, Mundy, Serong, Brayshaw all getting votes.

They are all part of our core midfield group that got absolutely pantsed.

If individually they looked good but as a unit they were destroyed does that point to our system, midfield setup, coaching staff as the main issue? West Coast were walking it out of the midfield in that second half.

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ryan and Serong are the only players I would want with me in a group fight. The rest are nice guys who don’t have it in them to throw a punch, Walters and Acres would definitely hide in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I reckon Wilson would have a go , those Mandurah boys blue for fun .
And I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of Big Darcy, I've seen him get a pretty nasty look on his face once or twice.

The rest ...... yep , soft utensils .

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Welcome to the perpetual rebuild. We trade, we draft, we get new coaches and new S&C people but the outcome is always the same. We have become a club that is entrenched in the 10 to 16 part of the table and we don't seem to have the answer about how to get out of the holding pattern we find ourselves in.

Whilst I don't claim to have the answers perhaps if we resist the urge to try hail Mary trades in future (Hogan is exhibit A), stop drafting players that have slipped down the draft order owing to injury (Valente) and make the hard call to cull out some of the permanently injured players earlier (S.Hill)

There are no easy solutions but we seem to lack any coherent method of improving our year to year on field results.
Spot on
This is going to be rinse and repeat for years .
We are never going to pull a star team together until either one of 2 things happens and the first is fantasy

1. Some mega billionaire like Twiggy decides to buy our club and provides a creative accountant who sets up ( extra curricular) jobs for star players to get around the salary cap

2. JLo or some other coach with a big heart and passion to win does a 2016 Bevo and pulls a team that isn't that great along with him to reach heights that even they are surprised with and does it in that 4-5 year revolving door window where our players get to their strengths and then leave .

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Spot on
This is going to be rinse and repeat for years .
We are never going to pull a star team together until either one of 2 things happens and the first is fantasy

1. Some mega billionaire like Twiggy decides to buy our club and provides a creative accountant who sets up ( extra curricular) jobs for star players to get around the salary cap

2. JLo or some other coach with a big heart and passion to win does a 2016 Bevo and pulls a team that isn't that great along with him to reach heights that even they are surprised with and does it in that 4-5 year revolving door window where our players get to their strengths and then leave .
Bevo thinks outside the square, the only coach we have had like that is Neesham, maybe Kirk?
One thing is for sure when we play WC it’s very vanilla planning
It appears when we are getting beaten easily, there is no Plan B, C.
That’s game day coaching so maybe we need help in the box?
We want to play a nice brand of footy, it’s war and sometimes you have to fight dirty.
Wouldn’t hurt to somehow get the Wildcats blueprints, how they
operate or coaching advice.
They seem to get the imports(trades) to Locals right.

Boppo

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sth Freo
The problem is there are some running around for us that wouldn't be on any other list .
Unfortunately there are To many of them to replace.
There is no light at the end of the tunnel.

Yeah we had a few cloggers out there on Sunday who wouldn't be playing elsewhere (Crowden, Colyer, Hughes, Conca). and our kids down back looked like the skinny rakes that the are as well (Chappy, Watson). Ryan, Hamling, Pearce make a huge difference when it comes to muscling up to WCs monsters but unfortunately for now we need to put the work into Lobb and Tucker to get them up to speed. Shame we have Brisbane at Gabba next, we will bet smashed.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah we had a few cloggers out there on Sunday who wouldn't be playing elsewhere (Crowden, Colyer, Hughes, Conca). and our kids down back looked like the skinny rakes that the are as well (Chappy, Watson). Ryan, Hamling, Pearce make a huge difference when it comes to muscling up to WCs monsters but unfortunately for now we need to put the work into Lobb and Tucker to get them up to speed. Shame we have Brisbane at Gabba next, we will bet smashed.
I don't think you can call Conca or Hughes list cloggers and simultaneously think Lobb deserves a free run to get up to speed.

Boppo

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sth Freo
I don't think you can call Conca or Hughes list cloggers and simultaneously think Lobb deserves a free run to get up to speed.

yeah I can, it’s the difference between Freo fans accepting mediocrity and the champion teams not. Conca didn’t make it at Richmond and now is used as a tagger of a forward. His disposal is very questionable. Hughes is brave but slow thinking and lacks kicking and creativity. Lobb might be down on form but we need him playing his 2019 footy again.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
yeah I can, it’s the difference between Freo fans accepting mediocrity and the champion teams not. Conca didn’t make it at Richmond and now is used as a tagger of a forward. His disposal is very questionable. Hughes is brave but slow thinking and lacks kicking and creativity. Lobb might be down on form but we need him playing his 2019 footy again.
"Fans accepting mediocrity" has got to be the worst statement thrown around on here. It is meaningless dribble. No matter how much you want to think you can effect the standards at the club, you don't, not anymore than any other club. Not only that, but why the **** would you even want average punters having a say in how the club is run? The very vast majority of us would be absolutely clueless about how to improve a football club.

Worst part is your claims aren't even true. Conca played every game he was fit for in his final season at the Tigers. Also, if Lobb is somehow better mediocre, then Conca is beyond elite as a lockdown defender. That 2019 season Lobb averaged 20 ho, 4 marks and 0.8 goals. Pretty mediocre I'd say.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
OK, you've won me. Can you use your influence as a fan to stop the mediocrity please?

This is a ridiculous meme that keeps getting trotted out. Don't agree? Oh, you're just accepting mediocrity.

Of course we accept mediocrity

We’re still here after 25 years of mostly utter crap

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Already said on the DT&FA board that if we trade Cerra + 1st for Cripps I'm out.

Fair. But if you're not used to s**t trades and list management ignoring drafting needs to chase the next easiest fix then you probably haven't been invested in the club too long anyway....or you've done it for way too long....

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fair. But if you're not used to sh*t trades and list management ignoring drafting needs to chase the next easiest fix then you probably haven't been invested in the club too long anyway....or you've done it for way too long....
I attended the very first Derby wearing purple... I don't remember it much but I was there.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Weak as piss.

I listened to the 1st half on the radio when we were neck & neck in a shootout and said "Nope, no F$%ing way"

As a long-suffering Freo fan, you just know when it's high scoring - you're ****ed.

I didn't even bother switching the TV on when I got home. History dictates exactly how it pans out. Every. Single. Time.

And another thing.
Why, in the * would you make an conscious long-term decision to want to play Fyfe forward. At all?

He's a Paddy Cripps in the middle and a John Butcher up forward. He should actually be banned from ever having another shot on goal.

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, but it's the times like this that make those rare good times and the eventual flag (heaven permitting) mean a lot more.
Yep, and that is why despite the painful breakup I will forever be grateful to Ross. For the first and only time in my years of copping crap from family and friends I was able to go to a family function and NONE of the pricks wanted to talk about footy.

I pray for the return of the days when Dockers gear was everywhere and ******** Eagles fans didn't feel the need to advise me on what MY team needs to do to improve!

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A.
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
It's just freakin' fantastically glorious times down at Fremantle at present. We now have enough injuries to key defensive personnel, that we'll be "Frankensteining" together a WAFL-grade back line, and if that's not joy-inducing enough for you, we're missing an A-Grade midfielder...AND now have to play two consecutive games away from home, both of which we will lose.

Wilksyy

Tab on a 🦀
Aug 26, 2018
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Leeds Utd
This accept mediocrity as fans take.

Please tell me, what I can do as a supporter that shows I won’t accept it. I told the club to get ****ed when they wanted to up season tickets prices back in 07. You have any other suggestions I’m all ears. I’m not one of those losers that thinks wearing my lucky Freo jocks on game day has any bearing on the outcome.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
OK, you've won me. Can you use your influence as a fan to stop the mediocrity please?

This is a ridiculous meme that keeps getting trotted out. Don't agree? Oh, you're just accepting mediocrity.

Yep isn't it funny how Richmond fans accepted mediocrity for 30 years then suddenly didn't.

How dumb are they, why didn't they think of not accepting mediocrity earlier?

Back