Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

I really like this thread's intangibles, it has some elite traits and provides real burst and acceleration from the stoppage. Probably only needs to improve its work in transition to take it to the next level.

Haven't followed this thread for a while so I am not sure if there is a complete David Schwarz sub thread but a while back he said "....and if you're not in control then....you can lose control ..........of the situation"

Greg Matthews: "Helmets are replaced after they get hit because they can lose their dexterity. Is that the word?"
He also sometimes says "debuwans"

Matt Granland: "he's got a black belt in Fujitsu"

Mark Allen: "they can gouge themselves on leftover food and beer"

BT: "Captain utensil's Cootage"

Tony Schibeci: "I like to think of myself as the matriarch of SEN"

Talkback caller on 3aw: "the Essendon suppulents saga", as in "succulents", or "sup-you-lents"

Here's more for the David Schwarz file:

"It's the white elephant in the room"
"Numchucks"
"Bent-up emotion"
"Without any further do, let's continue"
He repeatedly says "renumeration" and "renumerated"

Last edited:
Brett Phillips: "until the penny clicks" - he said this, then paused as he seemed to realise his mistake and started to correct himself, before again going with "until the penny clicks".

Patrick Dangerfield wanting to "strike out" a salary cap deal that was fair for all parties.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dean Jones on 3aw: "he's the common dominar"
One of the girls on Ch 10's BBL: "how did you enjoy for first debut?"

Tony Schibeci was reading out the 5 food groups, and pronounced 'legumes' as "lajeemies", then "lagoomies"

I honestly think Tony Schibeci mustn't have gone past about grade 5 at school. Nice bloke but not the sharpest tool in the shed.

^ Ha ha, I reckon his worst one is when he was reporting on the Olympics and got the abbreviations of 'junior' and 'senior' all wrong.
He saw the 'jun' and 'sen', and said something like, "why is 'S.E.N' written after that name? The other one says 'joon'.....(using the "oo" sound as in "foot"), and this one says 'S.E.N.'"
Then Finey corrected him. :D

I suppose it's understandable for someone at the station to immediately think of S.E.N. Radio when they see "sen", but still, fa'rk

^ Ha ha, I reckon his worst one is when he was reporting on the Olympics and got the abbreviations of 'junior' and 'senior' all wrong.
He saw the 'jun' and 'sen', and said something like, "why is 'S.E.N' written after that name? The other one says 'joon'.....(using the "oo" sound as in "foot"), and this one says 'S.E.N.'"
Then Finey corrected him. :D

I suppose it's understandable for someone at the station to immediately think of S.E.N. Radio when they see "sen", but still, fa'rk

Yep, I remember that. Another classic was quite recently when he referred to a male (not sure if it was himself or someone else, can't remember) as a 'matriarch' :D

Gerard Whateley and Dirk Nannes during the rain break yesterday, discussing Ben Hilfenhaus' two-in-two during the BBL game. Several minute discussion about "well, if they needed to rest some of our quicks for the Sydney Test, and Pattinson and Cummins aren't ready yet, you could do much worse than Hilfy. Been there, done the business, showing he's still in form, experienced head, blah blah....."

GW: "....hang on, Simon Katich is putting his hand up like a kid in school. Hand him the headset..."

SK: "Yeah nah, Hilfy retired from first class cricket nearly a year ago, guys. Hasn't played Shield since last season."

I mentioned on another thread, but hearing Alison Mitchell giggling and tittering like a school girl when Dirk Nannes used the term "nude nuts" was pretty funny.

You could almost picture her blushing bright red and holding a paper fan over her mouth....

I mentioned on another thread, but hearing Alison Mitchell giggling and tittering like a school girl when Dirk Nannes used the term "nude nuts" was pretty funny.

You could almost picture her blushing bright red and holding a paper fan over her mouth....

Is 'nude nuts' a peculiarly Australian expression then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back