Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Johnson suggested changing the colour of the Toyota logo at the 'G as it gave the bomber's an advantage because you couldn't see Tipungwuti.

"Intended target", rampant in football commentary, is surely a tautology?
I can see the tautology in this one, but also where it makes sense.

I know a target generally means having one target, but if a player has multiple options (multiple options; another case of tautology?) to kick to, then he'd have an array of targets. At the point when he kicks the ball, he's intending to only kick to one target of this array: his intended target.

This theory is void if there's only one player to kick to.

Maybe I'm wrong. I see where you're coming from though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure it's not his first appearance in this thread, but I had the pleasure of listening to Glen Jakovich a couple of weeks ago on Perth radio and his comments on Sandilands getting injured again in his return game:

"I think mother nature has finally caught up with him.."

Presumably he meant father time but who knows..

Have people seen the footy-themed Woolworths ad?

I just saw a new version during the Essendon v St Kilda game and they've added a rhyming couplet that ends with a "plate of canapes".

Except the voiceover pronounces it "can-apps" as opposed to "can-appays".

Seriously. A plate of canapps. Does it get more bogan?

Have people seen the footy-themed Woolworths ad?

I just saw a new version during the Essendon v St Kilda game and they've added a rhyming couplet that ends with a "plate of canapes".

Except the voiceover pronounces it "can-apps" as opposed to "can-appays".

Seriously. A plate of canapps. Does it get more bogan?

In fairness, I sort of took it as self-aware "I have nowhere left to go with these pissy rhymes" style joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back