Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Hodge: "they need to learn to DEEfend". He said it twice

More bulldust jargon by Buckley: "he shows and goes". WTF does that even mean?!?

I've done this one, but it bugs me how Damien Barrett pronounces 'albeit' as "Al Be-it", as in Al Bundy
Yes, this Dee-fence crap is going too far.

The reason you can say Off-ence is that there is a loose English grammar rule that says you shorten the vowel (‘O’) before a double consonant - like ‘proffer’ or ‘gaffer’ or ‘Doddery’.

There is ZERO justification for saying ‘dee-fence’ except wanting to sound like a muppet yank.

Luke Hodge: "they need to learn to DEEfend". He said it twice

More bulldust jargon by Buckley: "he shows and goes". WTF does that even mean?!?

I've done this one, but it bugs me how Damien Barrett pronounces 'albeit' as "Al Be-it", as in Al Bundy
I think “shows and goes” is like the Dwayne “shake and bake”.

Trent Cotchin, “comes to his fruition” when talking about Steele Sidebottom.

Trent Cotchin, “comes to his fruition” when talking about Steele Sidebottom.

That reminds me of one of my all-time favourites that I posted on the first page. Terry Daniher said, "we hope the planning through the week comes to fruitician on Saturday"

Last edited:
Her maiden name is Dick, her married name is Cockerill 👀
It was at a big race meeting, she was the current Miss Australia. Sandy said, “I’d like to welcome Miss Australia, Leanne Co*k, I mean Leanne Dick…”

I imagined him and the producer going through the running sheet beforehand and Sandy saying, “Gosh, I hope I get that right.” And then he didn’t.
Well, it’s an easy mistake to make 😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was at a big race meeting, she was the current Miss Australia. Sandy said, “I’d like to welcome Miss Australia, Leanne Co*k, I mean Leanne Dick…”

I imagined him and the producer going through the running sheet beforehand and Sandy saying, “Gosh, I hope I get that right.” And then he didn’t.
Confused Britney Spears GIF

Why you telling me a story I’ve heard 1000’s of times every time Sandy gets introduced over the last 40 odd years

This one is still the winner by the Flemington straight in my book 😂

"How do I remember her name, it's the same as a colloquialism for penis. Woops...wrong one :$ "

This one is still the winner by the Flemington straight in my book 😂

"How do I remember her name, it's the same as a colloquialism for penis. Woops...wrong one :$ "
Actually by the length of the Mt Gambier dog leg for it was at the Mount Gold Cup meeting that Sandy uttered the nugget

Not sure where else this could go

But was just watching a top 10 greatest goal after the siren video

Luke Shuey in the elimination final was in there.

Basil Zempilas is a worst of all time commentary candidate.

1) claims the clock shouldn’t have stopped & it was an error, as Shuey walked back for goal. Honestly what? What in the *? Time never stops for that, there’s 30 times a game you can learn that Basil you ******* dickhead

2) then when he kicks it his commentary is “he’s kicked a goal, the Eagles. Have won”.

Wow. Inspiring. Really added to it.

I’m so ******* glad he’s been put back in Perth & doesn’t have to annoy the rest of us.

Nah I'd grant an exemption if it's Melbourne, DEEfence from the Demons.
I did say it was a ‘loose’ grammatical rule - very hard to find anything thats absolutely locked in with English.

It usually falls down when its derived from a French or Greek word…such as Daemon.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back