Veterinary Business

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
Curious to hear from any bodies thoughts on Vet west, in WA.

Also in general the feelings on the cost of Veterinarian visits and surgeries . Done by different Vets in combined business' or independent vets in general.

Curious?

I paid $600 earlier in the year to have one of my dog's teeth removed. I almost changed careers there and then.

I paid $600 earlier in the year to have one of my dog's teeth removed. I almost changed careers there and then.

I have been quoted a huge minimum for dental work on my dog. I had Xrays that cost 3 times a human xray, because apparently they need sedating , why is sedation so expensive for a dog, my dog has had two operations over the years . He'll eat anything. He has cost close to 10 grand over the years, and I almost had to do it again, just recently, and the fees and charges and pre-operation quotes are beyond belief.

Several years ago my dogs first major problem I had to leave him over night at a animal hospital, he had another similar episode years later and I took him home and watched him myself, and the reason I took him home the second time was because the over night vet on the first occasion, cost me $700 dollars at arrival late at night, we were the ambulance for him as well, he was minded by one nurse over night, I nearly had the same issue again with him recently fortunately he recovered but it has cost me al;l up close to $800 dollars.
What has got me is I was in hospital for an op myself a couple of years back, and that dog , and I love him don't worry , but he cost me more than double at the vet?
What goes on in that profession?
I know they can't all be bad.
But are there any really good independent Vets, because this group, see you coming, do a good job, but leave you no where to go, very worrying when you are not loaded with dollars!
Prescribe drugs , then want to do another Xray next day, huge fee and to operate , next day!
Without even having him do a course of the prescription, how does that work?
As I said I'm curious to hear from others, because I'm feeling a real lack of trust for this local, that I use. Blink and it costs you!

PS do doctors charge a fee for you to grab a prescription from the front desk? Mine doesn't?

The vets where I live out in the country seem very reasonable and only seem to want to do stuff that is expensive when it's of their belief that it will be of benefit to both the pet and you. In saying that they seem to be a of lot more expensive in Perth hearing what some of my family there say, but they live in a very affluent area that might attract a decent premium.

I've always thought that vets given the extensive amount of education and training they are required to complete for their occupation were known as being relatively modestly paid?

For mine dentists in Australia must be the most handsomely paid profession, they must make an absolute killing. Then again I can't think of much worse than staring into people's gobs all day, I'd take helping sick animals on far lower pay over it any day.

Vet costs are basically the no1 thing that stops me from getting a cat. That and the general hair/fur/and kitty litter s**t I'd have to clean up.

We had 3 cats when I was a kid, mum paid a lot on two procedures (+ desexing all of them)- Tiger broke his tailbone, so had to get his tail removed, and then Sandy was attacked by a dog, and she had to have her leg amputated. Which the dogs owner only paid half of. :rolleyes: I still cannot believe my mum let him get away with that.

The vets where I live out in the country seem very reasonable and only seem to want to do stuff that is expensive when it's of their belief that it will be of benefit to both the pet and you. In saying that they seem to be a of lot more expensive in Perth hearing what some of my family there say, but they live in a very affluent area that might attract a decent premium.

I've always thought that vets given the extensive amount of education and training they are required to complete for their occupation were known as being relatively modestly paid?

For mine dentists in Australia must be the most handsomely paid profession, they must make an absolute killing. Then again I can't think of much worse than staring into people's gobs all day, I'd take helping sick animals on far lower pay over it any day.

I think country vets are better and independent, unfortunately in cities you get franchise set ups. Even so , when a pet can cost you up to 3 times your own human surgery costs, it makes you wonder, and when the vet seems adamant that an operation is required when you haven't even started a course of antibiotics that they just prescribed them, and, they want to Xray again the next day at a total of ( if you had the second Xray) another $600 added to around the same amount a bit more actually on the first day. Well you feel pressured , and you love your pet, its happened to me twice , this time I was lucky , I said no and got his medicine course finished, and he is good, but also the vets are professional and are all good, but they don't deserve and the public don't deserve to have to pay extraordinary amounts of money , and feel obliged to do it too.

I am freaked by vet visits because I always know its a cost of an arm and a leg , unfortunately true.

Maybe the people I use I need to reconsider.
I may have to find an independent place.

Having teeth done I've been given a minimum quote of $1100 dollars.
Well will they make me feel bad, I simply haven't got it.

But then again, in my life time of owning dogs all long healthy life times!
I have never had one go and get dental treatment for any, so it comes across as an over charged profiteering activity sometimes.

Even when they may save an animals life!That is great and they have saved this one now twice, but my pocket is nearly dead.
I wonder if it is just like the dental industry massive profiteering!

Vets are expensive because there's no medicare or subsidisation. Costs are high and the take home pay /profit is less than you would expect. Sadly, there are significant financial, personal and work related pressures in that field (yes, even moreso than other areas)

We had cats growing up needle every few months cost $80 if I remember. Then you have worming. Desexing etc if they get in a fight they then need surgery which is expensive. My cat had a chunk of her behind removed once probably from a dog think we paid over a grand 10 years ago. She went missing not long ago after she healed probably got beaten up again. I wish we had chickens as a pet growing up like my cousin's.

We had cats growing up needle every few months cost $80 if I remember. Then you have worming. Desexing etc if they get in a fight they then need surgery which is expensive. My cat had a chunk of her behind removed once probably from a dog think we paid over a grand 10 years ago. She went missing not long ago after she healed probably got beaten up again. I wish we had chickens as a pet growing up like my cousin's.

Oh yeah true, my cat Tiger got into other "scrapes" and stuff which would have cost more. I remember he had an abscess once and omg the foulest smelling puss came out of it, i have ever seen. Was disgusting. Sandy as well with her leg. Snow White- she was fine her whole life tho, never had to shell out anything on her except for desexing.

I miss having cats. They're good pets, Tiger was a crazy one.

Oh yeah true, my cat Tiger got into other "scrapes" and stuff which would have cost more. I remember he had an abscess once and omg the foulest smelling puss came out of it, i have ever seen. Was disgusting. Sandy as well with her leg. Snow White- she was fine her whole life tho, never had to shell out anything on her except for desexing.

I miss having cats. They're good pets, Tiger was a crazy one.

Snow White was probably cuddled from birth. The cats who get into fights are usually the ones were born on the streets. I miss having cats too. I just don't like the fir they leave behind everywhere and the scratches on the couches.

Snow White was probably cuddled from birth. The cats who get into fights are usually the ones were born on the streets. I miss having cats too. I just don't like the fir they leave behind everywhere and the scratches on the couches.

Nope- Snow White was a stray (she hooked up with Tiger and had Sandy)- and s**t scared of us for a few years until she finally trusted us. She was a very gentle, lovely cat- so sweet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tiger is a dope cat name tbf

This is them:

960_99405570290_6042_n.jpg

-PAXP-deijE.gif
-PAXP-deijE.gif
960_99405575290_6571_n.jpg

960_99405580290_7075_n.jpg

The local RSPCA here shits me. The advertise they don't do emergencies or walk ins and direct people to the other local vet if they need one or their appointment is running late and might continue after closing time.

It's run like a business with what feels like no understanding of the fact they are dealing with living creatures that mean a lot to people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vets are campaigners.

They charge what they do because people have no choice but to pay it. They know how valuable your pet is to them.

Missus BF and all her friends said basically the same as what you did JJ. The costs while a rip off are what they are.

Do people think someone that has many, many years of advanced education and training, basically the animal version of a human doctor that also has bills to pay running their practice for equipment, utilities and support staff like a nurse and secretary should charge peanuts?

Sorry if you are going to get say a dog, an animal which is very likely to have ongoing health issues during its life which lasts 10+ years that will have significant costs attached then plan and budget for it when you make the decision to get one. If you don't, then buy a goldfish or something instead.

Vets are expensive because there's no medicare or subsidisation. Costs are high and the take home pay /profit is less than you would expect. Sadly, there are significant financial, personal and work related pressures in that field (yes, even moreso than other areas)

Turn it up. WHERE THE HELL DID SUICIDE GET INTO THIS DISCUSSION??????

Turn it up. WHERE THE HELL DID SUICIDE GET INTO THIS DISCUSSION??????
When people started expecting the cost of a medical professional who doesn't just work on one species (human), has no patient feedback or Medicare subsidy to be more fitting with their expectations and not in line with the training and expertise of the professional working on their animal.

Oh, and rent also sucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back