VFL - Port Melbourne V Richmond 2:00pm, Saturday the 7th of April @ Punt Road Oval (Venue Change)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some housekeeping first...

This year we will be having dedicated preview threads for the VFL every week. These preview threads will turn into Gameday threads and we will also be introducing an Autopsy thread with VFL Player of the Year voting (AFL listed players only), so we have consistency across the senior and reserves levels on the Richmond Board.
I wanted to push this initiative as I could see the interest growing in the level below over the last few seasons with our recruitment strategies and general attendance from a lot of people on our board, namely guruisatiger _RT_ TigerImposter plus a few more who have been excellent in providing running updates throughout the games. If I have forgotten to name someone, I apologise.
This has been greatly appreciated across the board, but I want to take this a step further so that we can get more interest in the VFL and the boys who are developing to be future stars of the Richmond Football Club.
If anyone is interested in doing a preview thread throughout the VFL season, please let me know and I will allocate you a round. You don't need to visit the VFL to take part, it's an open invitation and doing a preview thread will help you familiarise yourself with the level below and may even spur you on to attending, which is obviously the ultimate goal.
We should have plenty of curtain raisers at Punt Road Oval this year as well.

So to summarise, here is what you can expect on a weekly basis relating to the VFL;
  • Official Preview Threads weekly that will subsequently become a Gameday thread.
  • Official Autopsy Threads (Roast, Toast, and Changes for the next round)
  • VFL BigFooty Player of the Year Voting (AFL listed players only*)
  • Plus a potential surprise at the end of the year in relation to the above point which I am currently trying to work through (every chance it won't happen so don't get your hopes up)

*For those wondering why AFL listed players are only eligible for voting purposes, is mainly because I want to focus on the players who will ultimately be contributing to the senior side in a few years time and that can actually add value. Special mentions can be made for the non-AFL listed players during the autopsy discussion.

Now onto the upcoming game...

The Tigers face @PortMelbourneFC in the GF rematch on April 7, with the game to be video streamed via http://vfl.com.au

VFL.JPG

Our second Grand Final rematch in as many weeks, however, this one is to kick off the VFL season for both teams.
After an excruciating Grand Final loss where Ben Lennon missed a set shot from outside 50 to win the game after the siren, Richmond will be out for retribution after a promising pre-season campaign where they went unbeaten in three games.
Port Melbourne have not been as impressive this pre-season losing two of their three outings.

Richmond pre-season results;
Richmond 13.7 (85) Collingwood 11.9 (75)
Richmond 19.13 (127) Northern Blues 11.7 (73)
Richmond 11.14 (80) Box Hill Hawks 8.9 (57)

Port Melbourne pre-season results;
Casey Demons 12.9 (81) Port Melbourne 10.6 (66)
Sandringham 3.5 (23) Port Melbourne 10.14 (74)
Frankston 17.5 (107) Port Melbourne 12.14 (86)
Port Melbourne 14.16 (100) Northern Blues 10.9 (69)

Key movers and shakers (Richmond);
(This is heavily dependant on AFL team selection)

Anthony Miles
Miles.jpg

What more can be said about this man? The ultimate professional and has been unlucky not to get more time in the senior team based on our increased depth and opportunities being granted to our more longer-term players.
Prominent ball winner that has been challenged to be more damaging with his ball use due to the accumulative nature of his play. Appears to have implemented this into his game based on his pre-season games. Got on the end of a couple against Box Hill and from all reports, should have had more.

Oleg Markov
Oleg+Markov+VYscRAVNKscm.jpg

How can you not take this face seriously? All jokes aside, this mans dash off the half-back flank last year for our VFL team was a key strength throughout the season. When he plays his best footy, he is well above this level and should really be pushing for more senior footy this year.

Callum Moore
Moore.jpg

There is a chance he may get called up for AFL duty, but I would be remiss not to highlight him.
Was a bit of a revelation last year and really came on in leaps and bounds. Has great pace for a big man and solid hands.
One of his knocks has been his set shot kicking ability, but nowadays, who doesn't struggle with that aspect of the game?
Fits into the Richmond game style perfectly and could be utilized in the AFL this week to add a bit of extra height to an early faltering small forward line.

Honorable mentions;
Steve Morris
, now captain adds strong leadership to hold this team in good stead for the season ahead.

Key movers and shakers (Port Melbourne);
Jordan Lisle (C)
Lisle.jpg

The former Brisbane Lion has taken over the captaincy from Toby Pinwell, who was arguably best on ground for Port Melbourne in the VFL Grand Final. He appeared to be an inspirational leader for "Borough" but it appears as though Lisle has now taken over the mantle.
Lisle seems to have settled in well though, the big man kicked three goals in their outing against The Northern Blues and will be an interesting matchup for either Garthwaite or Balta.

Dylan Conway
Conway.jpg

Three goals in the Grand Final, another three against the Northern Blues in their recent pre-season game. Another to keep an eye on.
Don't know much about this guy, but his form is enough to get my attention and be able to identify him as a key one to watch out for.

Honorable mentions;
There is a bit of a Richmond flavour at Port Melbourne nowadays with both Robin Nahas and Matthew Arnot apart of their best squad.
Eli Templeton is another to watch out for, the ex-Saint is quite pacy and talented.

Final Thoughts;
I am confident we can get the win to open up our account for the season, but it won't mean much unless we can get it done if we face them again in the finals.

I am expecting a comfortable win to Richmond to the tune of 48 points.

Please note that the preview thread will be updated with the final Richmond squad when it is named later on this week.

Carn the Tiges!

Venue change details
593d2cb8e21668e023d950ce03474749.jpg

Free entry for club members (Confirmed by the club via website/social media)

Final team
5349cf01795c0d426996814953965c04.jpg

Last edited:
Great idea prodigy..im not very good at doing previews
Its not my forte. But i will be t most vfl games this year
Always happy to provide scores updates. Best players
And general commentary on our young cubs
Will be there' this Saturday at port Melbourne's ground

Great idea prodigy..im not very good at doing previews
Its not my forte. But i will be t most vfl games this year
Always happy to provide scores updates. Best players
And general commentary on our young cubs
Will be there' this Saturday at port Melbourne's ground

If you’re not comfortable with doing a preview that is completely fine! If you change your mind please let me know as I feel you could add some really good in-depth knowledge to this space.
Looking forward to keeping up with all your updates this year nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some housekeeping first...

This year we will be having dedicated preview threads for the VFL every week. These preview threads will turn into Gameday threads and we will also be introducing an Autopsy thread with VFL Player of the Year voting (AFL listed players only), so we have consistency across the senior and reserves levels on the Richmond Board.
I wanted to push this initiative as I could see the interest growing in the level below over the last few seasons with our recruitment strategies and general attendance from a lot of people on our board, namely guruisatiger _RT_ TigerImposter plus a few more who have been excellent in providing running updates throughout the games. If I have forgotten to name someone, I apologise.
This has been greatly appreciated across the board, but I want to take this a step further so that we can get more interest in the VFL and the boys who are developing to be future stars of the Richmond Football Club.
If anyone is interested in doing a preview thread throughout the VFL season, please let me know and I will allocate you a round. You don't need to visit the VFL to take part, it's an open invitation and doing a preview thread will help you familiarise yourself with the level below and may even spur you on to attending, which is obviously the ultimate goal.
We should have plenty of curtain raisers at Punt Road Oval this year as well.

So to summarise, here is what you can expect on a weekly basis relating to the VFL;
  • Official Preview Threads weekly that will subsequently become a Gameday thread.
  • Official Autopsy Threads (Roast, Toast, and Changes for the next round)
  • VFL BigFooty Player of the Year Voting (AFL listed players only*)
  • Plus a potential surprise at the end of the year in relation to the above point which I am currently trying to work through (every chance it won't happen so don't get your hopes up)

*For those wondering why AFL listed players are only eligible for voting purposes, is mainly because I want to focus on the players who will ultimately be contributing to the senior side in a few years time and that can actually add value. Special mentions can be made for the non-AFL listed players during the autopsy discussion.

Now onto the upcoming game...

The Tigers face @PortMelbourneFC in the GF rematch on April 7, with the game to be video streamed via http://vfl.com.au

View attachment 477258

Our second Grand Final rematch in as many weeks, however, this one is to kick off the VFL season for both teams.
After an excruciating Grand Final loss where Ben Lennon missed a set shot from outside 50 to win the game after the siren, Richmond will be out for retribution after a promising pre-season campaign where they went unbeaten in three games.
Port Melbourne have not been as impressive this pre-season losing two of their three outings.

Richmond pre-season results;
Richmond 13.7 (85) Collingwood 11.9 (75)
Richmond 19.13 (127) Northern Blues 11.7 (73)
Richmond 11.14 (80) Box Hill Hawks 8.9 (57)

Port Melbourne pre-season results;
Casey Demons 12.9 (81) Port Melbourne 10.6 (66)
Sandringham 3.5 (23) Port Melbourne 10.14 (74)
Frankston 17.5 (107) Port Melbourne 12.14 (86)
Port Melbourne 14.16 (100) Northern Blues 10.9 (69)

Key movers and shakers (Richmond);
(This is heavily dependant on AFL team selection)

Anthony Miles
View attachment 477271

What more can be said about this man? The ultimate professional and has been unlucky not to get more time in the senior team based on our increased depth and opportunities being granted to our more longer-term players.
Prominent ball winner that has been challenged to be more damaging with his ball use due to the accumulative nature of his play. Appears to have implemented this into his game based on his pre-season games. Got on the end of a couple against Box Hill and from all reports, should have had more.

Oleg Markov
View attachment 477276

How can you not take this face seriously? All jokes aside, this mans dash off the half-back flank last year for our VFL team was a key strength throughout the season. When he plays his best footy, he is well above this level and should really be pushing for more senior footy this year.

Callum Moore
View attachment 477281

There is a chance he may get called up for AFL duty, but I would be remiss not to highlight him.
Was a bit of a revelation last year and really came on in leaps and bounds. Has great pace for a big man and solid hands.
One of his knocks has been his set shot kicking ability, but nowadays, who doesn't struggle with that aspect of the game?
Fits into the Richmond game style perfectly and could be utilized in the AFL this week to add a bit of extra height to an early faltering small forward line.

Honorable mentions;
Steve Morris
, now captain adds strong leadership to hold this team in good stead for the season ahead.

Key movers and shakers (Port Melbourne);
Jordan Lisle (C)
View attachment 477289

The former Brisbane Lion has taken over the captaincy from Toby Pinwell, who was arguably best on ground for Port Melbourne in the VFL Grand Final. He appeared to be an inspirational leader for "Borough" but it appears as though Lisle has now taken over the mantle.
Lisle seems to have settled in well though, the big man kicked three goals in their outing against The Northern Blues and will be an interesting matchup for either Garthwaite or Balta.

Dylan Conway
View attachment 477291

Three goals in the Grand Final, another three against the Northern Blues in their recent pre-season game. Another to keep an eye on.
Don't know much about this guy, but his form is enough to get my attention and be able to identify him as a key one to watch out for.

Honorable mentions;
There is a bit of a Richmond flavour at Port Melbourne nowadays with both Robin Nahas and Matthew Arnot apart of their best squad.
Eli Templeton is another to watch out for, the ex-Saint is quite pacy and talented.

Final Thoughts;
I am confident we can get the win to open up our account for the season, but it won't mean much unless we can get it done if we face them again in the finals.

I am expecting a comfortable win to Richmond to the tune of 48 points.

Please note that the preview thread will be updated with the final Richmond squad when it is named later on this week.

Carn the Tiges!
I love the concept, but wow Prodigy that looks like a lot of hard work for a stressed out father of 11. Will most likely do the Coburg game.

I love the concept, but wow Prodigy that looks like a lot of hard work for a stressed out father of 11. Will most likely do the Coburg game.

I’ll lock you in for that one TI!
Start now so you can get it done in time... 11 kids wow. Busy man.

If you’re not comfortable with doing a preview that is completely fine! If you change your mind please let me know as I feel you could add some really good in-depth knowledge to this space.
Looking forward to keeping up with all your updates this year nonetheless.

No problem

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game is not on tv as #7 will be covering the Commonwealth games. I believe tv coverage will begin in round 3. As for Tigers winning by 48 points that is very optimistic - Port Melbourne are a great club who don't often lose by such big margins. I say at home in front of a large parochial home crowd Port Melbourne will be hard to beat. Expect a good gate at North Port Oval as memberships have been going well. As per last season they have saved their best pre season game for last. I'll say Port Melbourne by 21 points.

The game is not on tv as #7 will be covering the Commonwealth games. I believe tv coverage will begin in round 3. As for Tigers winning by 48 points that is very optimistic - Port Melbourne are a great club who don't often lose by such big margins. I say at home in front of a large parochial home crowd Port Melbourne will be hard to beat. Expect a good gate at North Port Oval as memberships have been going well. As per last season they have saved their best pre season game for last. I'll say Port Melbourne by 21 points.
Very true they are a great club who just keep on finding a way to win, let’s hope they can find a way to continue to survive in the VFL

Very true they are a great club who just keep on finding a way to win, let’s hope they can find a way to continue to survive in the VFL

They will continue to survive in the VFL - new board made a profit, theirs a healthy sum of money in the bank and theirs indicators suggesting that the profit margin this year will be significantly higher than last season.

They will continue to survive in the VFL - new board made a profit, theirs a healthy sum of money in the bank and theirs indicators suggesting that the profit margin this year will be significantly higher than last season.
Good.
From what I’ve heard Willi are the financial powerhouse of the standalone VFL clubs with others struggling to stay afloat so to hear that sort of news is music to my ears.

Tiges by 200

Hopefully this game is on TV last years grand finalists surely have to be the game covered

As far as I am aware is that it’s only being live streamed on the VFL website.

Good to hear that. Went to the VFL GF last year and while I was kind of annoyed we didn't win, I was pretty happy for them at the same time. The crowd was mostly Richmond, but there was one bay full of Port Melbourne supporters and a few others scattered around the ground. The noise they made was unreal, even louder than a #lolnorf crowd.

Great to see more about the vfl and the future of our club; l put in $200 into the fighting tigers fund last year as my small way of supporting them. Bugger about living out of vic is not being able to support the guys on a regular basis by attending games; so the info guys on here who support the vfl post is well appreciated: thanks

Great to see more about the vfl and the future of our club; l put in $200 into the fighting tigers fund last year as my small way of supporting them. Bugger about living out of vic is not being able to support the guys on a regular basis by attending games; so the info guys on here who support the vfl post is well appreciated: thanks
That's the intention mate. if I don't get any interest from people in regards to doing preview threads, I will do them weekly. My VFL knowledge is limited, but I should be right.

Good.
From what I’ve heard Willi are the financial powerhouse of the standalone VFL clubs with others struggling to stay afloat so to hear that sort of news is music to my ears.

Yeah Williamstown is a very well run club which I believe has 3 mil in the bank. They have come a long way in the past few years increasing their membership base. Cobrug is always struggling year after year and Frankston is back in the comp after a years recess to get their house in order. They are under a new board and things are looking promising for them.

As for the guy that said Richmond by 200 - get your keyboard checked - some keys are sticking!

The grand final crowd - yes predominantly Richmond which is expected due to the lack of VFL coverage and peoples reluctance to support 2nd tier sport in Aus. 17,000 was the crowd - id think something like 11k were Richmond to our 6 K but your right - Port and well known for making alot of noise. When that Woofiddin goal went in, the crowd went ballistic, was as loud as you heard all day and moreso resembled a AFL roar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back