Vic biased 'national' media

Remove this Banner Ad

The VFL media strategy is unethical, disingenuous, obvious and transparent.

1. Accuse Toby during live national telecast of most heinous possible crime in history of football. Ignore worse incidents by VFL stars in same match or round (e.g., Selwood)

2. Force MRO to open investigation against Toby, or accuse MRO of blatant cover-up for not investigating.

3. Ignore excellent Giants performance, push for maximum penalty against Toby every hour post-game.

4. Speculate Toby should get 4-5 weeks for whatever imagined sin to ensure he gets a minimum of 1 week for wearing Orange.

5. Toby gets convicted and still “gets off lightly”. Repeat offender, never learns, has to be taught a lesson next time.

6. Repeat step 1 and resume cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

IMO, the only solution is to offer our own past-player media spokespeople to offer colour at each game.

Reach out to Ch 7, say we’ll pay to provide a ‘virtual boundary rider’ who can offer in game colour each week and roster on a Heater or Phil or the like each week.

You could probably get it done for $1-2 k per game which would pay for itself in terms of legal costs saved each year re MRO.

What really struck me last night was Taylor demanding Toby’s suspension then turning to Ling - who’s eyeing next week’s Cats fixture - and saying ‘Do you agree Lingy?’.

No prizes for guessing the Cats mans answer.

Two NSW/ACT clubs in a final, zero NSW/ACT commentary representation is ridiculous.

Seems noone has considered because of the angle of the TV shot no contact was actually made. It is possible the ump turned before or just as Greene reached him. Need a side on shot for it to be definitive.

But it is Toby, who is a brilliant player, who has priors, whose team is non-Vic and who is coming up against a Vic team next match. Anything could happen.

(PS: saw Hawkins get someone with a forearm Fri night but it was replayed only once and with no commentary. Don't know if it was worth a review or penalty but some further discussion might have been appropriate. Again, a serial offender but a Vic which may just be coincidence. Or not.)

Seems no-one has considered because of the angle of the TV shot no contact was actually made. It is possible the ump turned before or just as Greene reached him. Need a side on shot for it to be definitive.

But it is Toby, who is a brilliant player, who has priors, whose team is non-Vic and who is coming up against a Vic team next match. Anything could happen.
We've had some discussion in this thread and the gameday thread because a non-Vic media commentator showed the slo-mo vision of there not being any contact. Strangely enough the Vic media choose to continue the long range normal speed vision because it appears Toby to have significantly bumped the ump. But they've now started adding an ''intent to bump'' factor to be able to continue their tirade.

Has anyone actually seen or read any positive coverage about our win on Saturday? All I’ve seen is Toby or how amazing the swans were and that we should have lost.

FFS that was a bloody courageous win in a huge game, tactical masterclass for 2.5 quarters with some star performers and not a peep about it
Nope, it's all about Toby needing to be hung, drawn and quartered. Even the ''report card'' of the 4 games basically just said GWS were lucky to win the game.

And the injury list doesn't mention GWS - well, it mentions us in passing in terms of who from the Cats will be fit to play GWS, but nothing about our injuries.

The VFL media is a complete joke. It's like the USSR press under communism.

The quite balatant and unapologetic nature of the anti-GWS media that floats around the AFL is part of why I can't get behind the game as a hardcore fan. I will still follow the Giants and watch games where I can but I feel no attachment to the league. At no point have I ever felt like I've read something that implied the media wanted to support the expansion of the AFL to 18 teams.

It's getting sad. How long will it take to get an iota of respect in the Vic media?

The anti-Giants media narrative is actually spiralling out of control.

The observation of our team receiving no media plaudits for a courageous win is well made.

You get the strong impression we weren’t meant to win vs Swans (“tell us more about Buddy 1000”).

The ‘Get Toby’ narrative is so patently ridiculous that even neutral club Captains like Pendlebury are saying “WTF?”.

You’ve got NSW/ACT in lockdown, our Derbies always being played interstate year after year and no clarity as to whether fans will be allowed back to Manuka or GS in 2022.

Unless VFL HQ tell a few of the usual anti-Giants media suspects to pull their heads in immediately it’s going to really damage membership for 2022.

Why AFL stakeholders refuse to see the impossibility of AFL financial success without Giants and Suns success is a true mystery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back