Victorian Covid Outbreak 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Fleeting transmission isn't new. The experts have said that recently.

Why the government used emotive language around it now as if it was a new thing is strange. It's always been a thing
Except that at the beginning we were told we needed to have had 15 minutes face to face with someone, or two hours in a crowded room, to be in danger of catching it. This hyper mega beast has grown wings! 👹

Explain to me why there are still such drastic restrictions in regional Vic? Seated service only at pubs, two visitors to the home per day. There hasn't been a single case in regional Vic right? Seems ridiculously over the top.
Especially as Melburnians can only travel 25kms. You'll be waiting a long time for a plausible explanation

I'm not sure why the media is reporting that the lockdown is being lifted. If we'd gone from no restrictions > 25km travel limit, we'd have called that a lockdown.

Still, it's good to see the cases moving in the right direction and hopefully the next week continues that way.

Question re state of emergency - are they required for:
lockdowns?
vaccinations?
Quarantine?
Anything else?

What is required to have them extended each time?

Thanks!

Explain to me why there are still such drastic restrictions in regional Vic? Seated service only at pubs, two visitors to the home per day. There hasn't been a single case in regional Vic right? Seems ridiculously over the top.
Most likely because they know that not everyone actually adheres to the lockdown rules, and that it's highly likely that some Melbournian's have and will go to rural Victoria.

I reckon 90% of the lockdown rules are based on the assumption that people are ****ed and either ignore or don't understand the rules.

Good read
By self professed leftist and apologist for the Andrews Government, Waleed Ali? The guy should be on the ABC. He says its unfair to talk about Melbourne having endured 4 lockdowns because one was a National lockdown and another was a "circuitbreaker". He then says, "There is no good explanation for why this “keeps happening” in Melbourne, because something that has happened twice in completely incomparable ways isn’t something that “keeps happening” to begin with". Yet what he conveniently overlooks is the fact that the total number of days in lockdown in Victoria is about the same as the collective total of all Australian states and territories. So its not just that Victoria has had more lockdowns - 4 Waleed, not 2. But the duration!

Waleed then dismisses the current lockdown as Victorian issue because the infection originated in SA (the Merlino line). What about the Delta strain outbreak, Waleed?

I was ridiculed for quoting a business entrepreneur who is critical of the governments marketing spin. And you come out with Waleed's puffery?

Last edited:
Good read
Victoria:
25% of Australia's population
75% of Australia's COVID cases
90% of Australia's COVID related deaths
99% of Austalia's COVID related deaths in aged care
Three times the amount of time locked down than any other state
The highest use of federal job-keeper money than any other state by far.
And Waleed doesn't want us to ask why?

By self professed leftist and apologist for the Andrews Government, Waleed Ali? The guy should be on the ABC. He says its unfair to talk about Melbourne having endured 4 lockdowns because one was a National lockdown and another was a "circuitbreaker". He then says, "There is no good explanation for why this “keeps happening” in Melbourne, because something that has happened twice in completely incomparable ways isn’t something that “keeps happening” to begin with". Yet what he conveniently overlooks is the fact that the total number of days in lockdown in Victoria is about the same as the collective total of all Australian states and territories. So its not just that Victoria has had more lockdowns - 4 Waleed, not 2. But the duration!

Waleed then dismisses the current lockdown as Victorian issue because the infection originated in SA (the Merlino line). What about the Delta strain outbreak, Waleed?

I was ridiculed for quoting a business entrepreneur who is critical of the governments marketing spin. And you come out with Waleed's puffery?

Waleed is a Muslim TV personality and relatively articulate. This means his opinion is more important. Don’t you guys know anything.Gee whiz.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Victoria:
25% of Australia's population
75% of Australia's COVID cases
90% of Australia's COVID related deaths
99% of Austalia's COVID related deaths in aged care
Three times the amount of time locked down than any other state
The highest use of federal job-keeper money than any other state by far.
And Waleed doesn't want us to ask why?
Tell me you didn’t read the article without telling me didn’t read the article.

No one is questioning that the Victorian response to the second wave was appalling. And the reason why there is a hard line stance on any outbreak in the state is due to the Victorian government learning from that. Yet you want to use the stats from that second wave to argue that we are too strict now? How does that make any sense whatsoever?

Your first mistake was thinking any of this is based on science or health when its actually based on what will cop the Government the least flack / most support from the MSM and leftist mobs online.

I don't think it's that simple.

They get input from health professionals with expertise in the field, and get advice from economic experts, and get advice from their political strategists.

The latter most likely has the most clout.

Tell me you didn’t read the article without telling me didn’t read the article.
You know I read the article but you ignored the previous post other than to dismiss it with a LOL.

Your point doesn’t sound like you did anything more than skim the article.
Please tell me how it makes any sense to use the second wave to criticise the government’s current strategy?
That was a comment by a reader.
You tell me why Waleed has brushed over relevant facts?

Which comment? The one that dismissed the entire article because it was written someone they don’t like?
You didn’t read my post did you! So typical. Quick to criticise others.

I don’t mind Waleed but I don’t like his politics and how he uses The Project to peddle political views

You didn’t read my post did you! So typical. Quick to criticise others.

I don’t mind Waleed but I don’t like his politics and how he uses The Project to peddle political views
Since the national lockdown in Autumn last year here is a summary of every state's lockdowns

VIC: 3 (Second wave - 100+ days, Holiday Inn Cluster - 5 days, Whittlesea Cluster - 14 days)
WA: 2 (Jan 2020 - 5 days, April 2020 - 3 days)
QLD: 2 (Jan 2020 - 3 days, March 2020 - 3 days)
NSW: 1 (Northern Beaches cluster - 20 days)
SA: 1 (Parafield Cluster - 3 days)

Obviously the difference here is the second wave. We all agree that was a monumental * up by the Victorian government. Take that out and is there anything significantly different about Victoria?

Further to this, Victoria is the only state outside NSW to deal with an outbreak of community transmission without a lockdown (small question mark, can't recall if there was onward transmission when two cases entered QLD mid last year, if so make Vic one of 3 states to do it) . Victoria's handling of outbreaks is clearly not as good as NSW, but it's about on par with the other states.

Victoria does seem to get more outbreaks then - so the question is are we letting it in more than other states?
Well, lets look at HQ breaches since the resumption of Victorian hotel quarantine on December 7 last year
VIC: 4
WA: 4
QLD: 2
NSW: 4
SA: 1
Again, how bad does Victoria look here?

Of course, improvements can and should be made to everything. But since the second wave, there is no reason to suggest Victoria's response has been anything but on par with the rest of the country.

Twitter blowing up tonight re new case in QLD only being brought up to extend their SOE. Same thing linked with the VIC outbreak.
A couple driving up to QLD from VIC (when they shouldn’t be) to then voluntarily get tested..?

There’s plenty of smart cookies on here..someone please explain this one to me so I don’t get sucked into more conspiracies. Because sadly I do..and it’s really annoying me. Put my mind at ease!!!!

Last edited:
Twitter blowing up tonight re new case in QLD only being brought up to extend their SOE. Same thing linked with the VIC outbreak.
A couple driving up to QLD from VIC to voluntarily get tested..

There’s plenty of smart cookies on here..someone please explain this one to me so I don’t get sucked into more conspiracies. Because sadly I do..and it’s really annoying me. Put my mind at ease!!!!

A State of Emergency is required to enforce:
  • Mandatory Hotel Quarantine when arriving from overseas
  • Restrictions on outbound & inbound travel to Australia
  • Border closures
  • Mask Wearing
  • Density limits

If there was no state of emergency in place to allow governments (Federal & State) to enforce these rules, the changed conditions would need to be passed into law through government. That is a process that is time consuming and long-term, where as extending a State of Emergency allows governments to make changes to rules as the situations change.

A couple driving up to QLD from VIC (when they shouldn’t be) to then voluntarily get tested..?

OK here goes. Our Governments struggle to organise anything well, how would they be able to organise such a grand conspiracy?

But only the lunatic fringe is smart enough to spot the vast conspiracy. This is 5G, QAnon, Dan Andrews ambulance, Obama birth certificate, alien mind control, all along the same lines of bullshit spouted by the same people online who have NFI about anything.

"Put simply, the first major outbreak was almost entirely the fault of the Victorian government."- Waleed Aly

I agree with this part.. 800 deaths, 1000s of businesses decimated, curfews and children missed 6 months of schooling.

The bloke who was ultimately responsible lied about it (private security) for months and then didn't resign. Then he got pissed, fell down the stairs and when the next major lockdown came was nowhere to be seen.

The other muppets(eg. Sutton) in control are the same ones who were involved last year and are so terrified of screwing up again they're been overly conservative.. which is understandable but is causing more damage and truth is thay they simply shouldn't be there anymore. Their judgement is compromised by being responsible for such a disaster last year.

The first week was reasonable but last week and this week's restriction are ridiculous.

I also don't trust this initial missing link. Seems very convenient for a mob so historically loose with the truth. We'll see what comes out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back