Victorian Covid Outbreak 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Were they?

I reckon Queensland, WA, Tassie and SA have dealt with it pretty well.

Yes and mostly no. Delta strain has not got its tentacles firmly into those states, and maybe that's because of good management or just luck, but how can you say those states have dealt with a full-on Delta outbreak well when they are yet to experience it? Fact is none of those states have been forced to implement "living with COVID measures", and THAT was the point I was making, as you well know.

With WA & QLD to a degree, it is an artificial situation. If you think completely cutting yourself off from the rest of the world is dealing with it well, then yes they have handled it well.

the only way to deal with Delta strain
none of those states have been forced to implement "living with COVID measures"

So they've managed to avoid being forced to implement "living with COVID measures" whilst continuing to vaccinate their population and living close to a normal existence throughout?

Yeah I don't see anyone living there wanting to jump ship to experience NSW's management model over the past 6 months.

OK, so what was this cartoon saying if it is so "spell it out obvious"?

It's saying that Victoria's contact tracing was ill-equipped and ill-prepared overlaid with the Dan owned by the CCP theme. Actually, you're right, I can't explain the humour in this because there is none.

It's stating the obvious and a nod to old blokes who still think that 'commies' are a thing in Australian politics. About as good as a Garrison comic and that's a down-in-the-dirt low bar.

It's saying that Victoria's contact tracing was ill-equipped and ill-prepared overlaid with the Dan owned by the CCP theme. Actually, you're right, I can't explain the humour in this because there is none.

It's stating the obvious and a nod to old blokes who still think that 'commies' are a thing in Australian politics. About as good as a Garrison comic and that's a down-in-the-dirt low bar.
It's all about context. It was published at the time (September 2020 when Victoria was in the middle of lockdown, had 700 deaths, and contact tracing was an absolute shambles with contact tracers relying on pen, paper, and fax machines for tracing) that Dan announced he would send his contact tracers to NSW to “double and triple check whether there is anything that is different between our response and the response in New South Wales”. At the time NSW had no cases! So, perhaps you can see the sheer absurdity in what Dan was doing and what inspired the cartoon?

The CCP overlay is very apt for Dan given his clandestine deals with the Chinese government, If you think its a thing of the past then you must have your head in the sand. China represents the greatest threat to our region, but that's another story.

Yes and mostly no. Delta strain has not got its tentacles firmly into those states, and maybe that's because of good management or just luck, but how can you say those states have dealt with a full-on Delta outbreak well when they are yet to experience it? Fact is none of those states have been forced to implement "living with COVID measures", and THAT was the point I was making, as you well know.

With WA & QLD to a degree, it is an artificial situation. If you think completely cutting yourself off from the rest of the world is dealing with it well, then yes they have handled it well.

I'm still struggling to see what NSW did right?

They let COVID in to start with, then allowed it to spread, and the couldn't control it. It got out of control. They spread it to other states.

They then locked down. They then tightened restrictions further.

They only opened up once Vax targets were met.

Which part of this is the benchmark to strive for??

I'm still struggling to see what NSW did right?

They let COVID in to start with, then allowed it to spread, and the couldn't control it. It got out of control. They spread it to other states.

They then locked down. They then tightened restrictions further.

They only opened up once Vax targets were met.

Which part of this is the benchmark to strive for??

Something something not Daniel Andrews?

It's all about context. It was published at the time (September 2020 when Victoria was in the middle of lockdown, had 700 deaths, and contact tracing was an absolute shambles with contact tracers relying on pen, paper, and fax machines for tracing) that Dan announced he would send his contact tracers to NSW to “double and triple check whether there is anything that is different between our response and the response in New South Wales”. At the time NSW had no cases! So, perhaps you can see the sheer absurdity in what Dan was doing and what inspired the cartoon?

The CCP overlay is very apt for Dan given his clandestine deals with the Chinese government, If you think its a thing of the past then you must have your head in the sand. China represents the greatest threat to our region, but that's another story.

Thanks Dad, I understand the context. The guy can draw, he just lacks a sense of humour.

And you ask why I lump you in with others? Its not random at all. You're like lemmings.

I mean, you're pretty basic.

NSW good because LNP. VIC bad because Andrews / ALP.

It's pretty consistent, if illogical.

You're lauding NSW for managing things by doing the exact same things Victoria did last year that didn't work.

lol, wait til you find out the libs leased the port of Darwin to the Chinese for 99 years!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol, wait til you find out the libs leased the port of Darwin to the Chinese for 99 years!
I am aware. The Darwin Port deal was a balls up and partly led to the Foreign Relations (State and Territory Arrangements) Act being passed in 2020. It was used to tear up the Victorian deals

Back on track, it's worth noting despite case numbers going up (particularly in the western and south-eastern suburbs), cases numbers are going right down in the suburbs that were targeted for vaccination (in particular Cragieburn).

Also interesting to note that hospital numbers continue to decrease despite the relative stable number in the case load.

There might be a delay (the case numbers may turn into hospitalisations down the track) but it does feel as though that number is on the way down. The other thing I find interesting is there is very little difference between the Vic and NSW numbers in terms of ICU patients (141 in Vic vs 124 in NSW).

Anyone find it ironic that there are people in Melbourne celebrating and cheering like they just got let out of jail - all this while cases and deaths are at the highest they have EVER been since the pandemic started lol.. WTF

Anyone find it ironic that there are people in Melbourne celebrating and cheering like they just got let out of jail - all this while cases and deaths are at the highest they have EVER been since the pandemic started lol.. WTF
I don't think ironic is the correct word.

Low case numbers is not the aim and hasn't been for months. Low case numbers was only ever the goal when it meant we could live restriction free, until a vaccine was developed.

The goal was to prevent deaths, live restriction free and not smash the health system until a vaccine came in.

Low case numbers were merely a means to that end, not the end.

So now that there's a Vax and a heap of people have it, we're living with it. Case numbers and deaths are a part of that.

What's the irony?

I don't think ironic is the correct word.

Low case numbers is not the aim and hasn't been for months. Low case numbers was only ever the goal when it meant we could live restriction free, until a vaccine was developed.

The goal was to prevent deaths, live restriction free and not smash the health system until a vaccine came in.

Low case numbers were merely a means to that end, not the end.

So now that there's a Vax and a heap of people have it, we're living with it. Case numbers and deaths are a part of that.

What's the irony?
Deaths are higher now than they were BEFORE the vaccine rollout - what exactly is there to celebrate?

So you’re pro lockdown?
No I'm just laughing at the sheep on social media celebrating the end of the lockdown and how great a job everyone did - meanwhile deaths and cases are at an all time high... So protestors got shot with rubber bullets, people lost their jobs, businesses got shot down, citizens were banned from coming home, people were locked inside and what we have to show for it is the highest ever number of cases and deaths... Seems kind of strange... Would be interested to see how much worse things would be without the vaccine - IMO it wouldn't be that big a difference in terms of cases and deaths - definitely not enough to justify the actions of the police state/tyranical government.

Didn't I just answer that?
You said the goal was to prevent deaths - I repeat deaths are at an all time high... So you are speculating on how many cases and deaths were prevented - anyway the optics are bad.. People should not be celebrating while cases and deaths are the highest they have ever been. A lot of people including the Government dropped the ball (all started security guards banging quarantine guests - good management lol).

You said the goal was to prevent deaths - I repeat deaths are at an all time high... So you are speculating on how many cases and deaths were prevented - anyway the optics are bad.. People should not be celebrating while cases and deaths are the highest they have ever been. A lot of people including the Government dropped the ball (all started security guards banging quarantine guests - good management lol).

I said it was to prevent deaths until a vaccine came in. Basically, preventable deaths should be prevented.

It's always been about the balance between health, social and economic impacts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back