Remove this Banner Ad

Qsaint

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 6, 2004
Brisvegas
AFL Club
St Kilda
Have 8 days out of HCMC in April probably a bit of coast plus either nature or heritage perhaps hoi an plus hue, or what's it like going south or the central highlands? Any ideas?

I was going to say Hoi An. Hoi An and Hue is a good mix. Do a day trip out of Hoi An to My Son; get the boat one way, its a nice trip down the river. You could add Nha Trang or Da Nang for more beach time, but there's beach only 3km from Hoi An anyway. (I didn't get to the beach, but was told it was nice by others I ran into in various places.)
To get the most your 8 days fly up to Hue, and back from Da Nang. Train to Hue is possible, but given the time restrictions, fly unless the budget has to be watched too tightly.
How long to you have in HCMC? And is there another couple of days you can add to head down the Mekong Delta? Anyway, I loved Hoi An and Hue was pretty cool too.

You could fly to Hanoi, spend a few days there and head to Ha Long Bay. You won't have time to do both Ha Long and Sa Pa, and as you state you want beach, Ha Long Bay would suit your needs more. I didn't spend much time in Hanoi, but think I really could have learned to like the place.
Three weeks for Vietnam was just not enough, and I perhaps didn't get the balance right (could have sepnt a day less in each of HCMC and Da Lat).

I just got back from central Vietnam. Spent most of the time in Hoi An and Hue with places in between. We didn't have long so stuck to the central as we plan to get back to Saigon and Hanoi soon.

Really didn't like Da Nang though. We flew straight to Da Nang out of Singapore and just didn't enjoy it at all. The seafood there was fantastic along My Khe, the most expensive restaurant of our whole trip was there called the Blue Whale I think.

Hoi An is fantastic, I really recommend the Hop Yen hotel, the girls there are great at helping you organise stuff and the My Son tour bus comes right to the front door then. It's no hassle. They organised our bus to Hue as well.

Anyway, you'll love it. It's a fantastic place so have a kick ass time and enjoy the 3000D glasses of "fresh" beer. 15c a beer was alright by me. Otherwise it's only $1 most places anyway.

Going to Vietnam soon too, wanna go to Mui Ne beach, there is cool windsurfing and water sports there

Going to Vietnam soon too, wanna go to Mui Ne beach, there is cool windsurfing and water sports there

Was there in April, you'll love it. The best restaraunts in Vietnam. Bit quiet at night but if you hook in with the kite surfers you're sure to find a party every night. Theres about a mile of beach just full with kite + windsurfing skools. We were there for 3 days and the trade winds blew for the whole time we were there.

Did the Hue thing in 2001. Did the Demilitarize Zone (1day) tour which takes Khe Sahn Army Base and Vinh Moc tunnels which are bigger the the Cu Chi tunnels in Siagon. A few other places but them 2 were the highlights. Also got the Citadel and market in Hue which will take a day.

With only 8 days Sapa needs atleast 3-4 days. I prefer Hanoi more than Saigon, Hoi An is great but stay in town and not on the beach unless you've got plenty of money. Restaraunts in the Old 1/4 are great and you'll need atleast 2 full days to buy a suit and shirt leaving a day to look around. Someone mentioned the Cham Temples at My Son. it's a full day trip out there and back and aren't really that good. If you wanna see temples fly into Cambodia for 4 days and see Angkor.If youre travelling from Saigon to Nha Trang by road you pas Champa Temples on the way. Nha Trang needs a full day to go on the Scuba/Snorkelling/Party boats. Snorkelling was great when we went, got a clear day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back