Votes and Thoughts Vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

They must have removed a supergoal (probably Powers?) from Brisbane's score. At the Dome they showed it as 4 supergoals to the Lions for a 15 point win, but every time I hear the score now it was the Lions by 12 with 3 supergoals.

It was a dissapointing performance because we've worked hard on adopting a new game plan over summer based on quick running but when it was countered with flooding they didnt really know what to do.

The midfielders didnt have confidence to kick long inside the forward line which wouldve been the best way to counteract it, given Mooney and Ablett could contest and then black magic (Varcoe and Djerkurra) couldve polished up at ground level.

i am kind of glad we arent in the grand final anyway, all that hype before the season proper has started Isn't agood thing IMO. Especially in our little pond neck of the woods.

Some good signs from a few players (Varcoe Djerkurra Prismall Mackie Charlie) and some poor signs from others (Playfair Byrnes Ling Scarlett) I dont care what people say, Shannon Byrnes is a horrible horrible player. Seeing Varcoe and Djerkurra for the first time only makes this more plainly obvious. Those guys have speed to burn (likes byrnes) but they use it so much more effectively and have so much more skill. They bought a new pressure to the forward line we havent had for a while, and crumbing at the feet of Ottens who either marks of contests well could be a real asset during the season.

They must have removed a supergoal (probably Powers?) from Brisbane's score. At the Dome they showed it as 4 supergoals to the Lions for a 15 point win, but every time I hear the score now it was the Lions by 12 with 3 supergoals.

Power's was amended because his foot was on the line when he kicked the goal.

Power's was amended because his foot was on the line when he kicked the goal.
Yeah that's what I thought. But when was it changed? Post-game? What if it had been closer? And how can you change a score anyway, that's never happened before...

If it was post-game then that sets a dangerous precedent.

Yeah that's what I thought. But when was it changed? Post-game? What if it had been closer? And how can you change a score anyway, that's never happened before...

If it was post-game then that sets a dangerous precedent.

Since he kicked it in the last quarter it was changed post game. Gieschen said it was changed and they had to do that in a game last week also. If it was closer then there would have been a problem and who knows what they would have done.

The buzzer the umps were wearing also had a small problem when the went off before the siren sounded.

In all honesty I'm glad we lost. Had we won and then lost next week we would have been bombarded by, "Oh Cats lose another Grand Final, another noble loss to the handbags" etc. And had we have won then we would have copped "Oh Cats win another plastic cup, it's last year all over again, here comes the NAB curse" etc.

I didn't like the way we lost though, terrible terrible footy.
Some good points about the consequences of winning last night. At the same time though, to become a good side, we have to be able to put up with hype and overcome it. Would have been good practice to try again.

The most worrying thing about last night was the style in which we played. I don't care if Brisbane flood - it just means that we have to get it in there quicker. It really is the simplest of games. I would have just loved Thompson to go "Bugger it. Let's put this understrength side onto the canvas and play some long, penetrating footy." What was there to lose? What is there to lose playing like that every week? At least try.

There is a difference between bombing it into the forward line and kicking long and directly to a contest. We look and have always looked at our best driving it long inside 50, whether we have power forwards dominating or not.

There are so many reasons to play a direct brand of footy, and I don't think we even try.

What this game showed to me was that yet again this team is incapable at adapting. When we are playing well, we play really well. But when we come up against a team that can change their game plan on the fly, both our players and coaches seem to stand around scratching their heads going "this isn't what we did through the week". Sometimes I feel they expect the other team to play to our game plan...

The main thing that reflected this was our inside 50 entries. Brisbane kept punching the ball forward with their spoils, but we had no small guys there crumbing for the spoil. It was crazy.

I have 1 major gripe. Blake. Please drop this man. He is a joke, his tap work isn't that good compared to King and Ottens, let alone if he has to play against Spider, Hille, etc. And when you can't kick, you're immediately putting your team at a disadvantage. Promote West and drop Blake until he can learn to kick.

Top marks for the night.

1. Charlie
2. Cam Mooney
3. Prismal
4. Varcoe (at least he knows the concept of crumbing)
5. Milburn

I think it was quite clear that we lacked that extra bit of class last night, something that came through for Brisbane with the likes of Notting, Power and Black.

When a team is flooding, as Brisbane were, you need players that can break out of congested areas and dispose of the ball with pinpoint accuracy. We simply do not have enough of these type of players.

Gablett and J Hunt were providing this in the first half, but it was sadly missing later on.

We were shocking in the first quarter and half, but after that we played some ok football (nowhere near our best though)

They look flat most of the night (whether last week took so much out of them or just an off night), they made far too many errors and didn't deserve to get as close as they did in the end.

However on the plus side, at least another team will get the "NAB Cup curse" this year. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ling should be dropped is he does this same tripe over the next 2 weeks. But, alas, he wont as he and King are Thompson's buddies. Its disgraceful. How many frees did Simon Black get? How many terrible decisions did Ling have resulting in turnovers, or ball-ups etc...?

Im fuming this morning after having an evening to think about it.

5 - Mooney
4 - Bartel
3 - Gardiner
2 - S Hunt
1 - Milburn

Byrnes was ok i thought. Varcoe, Djerk, Corey, Mackie were all good.

Very happy with Mackie so far this pre-season.

What this game showed to me was that yet again this team is incapable at adapting. When we are playing well, we play really well. But when we come up against a team that can change their game plan on the fly, both our players and coaches seem to stand around scratching their heads going "this isn't what we did through the week". Sometimes I feel they expect the other team to play to our game plan...

The main thing that reflected this was our inside 50 entries. Brisbane kept punching the ball forward with their spoils, but we had no small guys there crumbing for the spoil. It was crazy.

I have 1 major gripe. Blake. Please drop this man. He is a joke, his tap work isn't that good compared to King and Ottens, let alone if he has to play against Spider, Hille, etc. And when you can't kick, you're immediately putting your team at a disadvantage. Promote West and drop Blake until he can learn to kick.

Cant, or just wont? I think he takes hs orders as a ruckman way too seriously.

Cant, or just wont? I think he takes hs orders as a ruckman way too seriously.

What does that say about Ling then? Does he have direct orders to immediately handball or is it he doesn't trust his kicking like i think Blake does.
Very disappointed with last night, as you could see Btisbane flooding from the get go and it took them a while to combat this.

I can understand they want to chip it sideways when all they see up ahead in Lions jumpers, but do they forget the play on kicking backwards rule, it happened a lot last night, which was so frustrating, just plain bad decision making.

My votes:
5. Mooney
4. Prismall
3. Djerkurra (excitement machine)
2. Bartel
1. Gardiner (impressive, playing for his career really).

Once again Ling was useless, its just he usually gets a heap of possessions that don't make him look as bad.

Brisbane definitely had a good game plan (ugly as it was) that destroyed the free flowing Bulldogs but since we aren't as fast running like them we didn't go as bad.
I hope North Melbourne win the Cup, the club needs it for financial reasons and for the sake of their lagging membership.

5. Mooney (only decent option inside 50)
4. Bartel (solid, as always)
3. Gardiner (worked hard)
2. Prismall (beautiful kick of the ball)
1. Kelly (showed something around the clearances, I thought)

Enright, Djerrkura and Dasher were all impressive. Josh Hunt, if he'd stayed on and kept playing as he did, would have made the votes.

Bears 3.7.10 (85) to the Cats 0.10.13 (73) - without poxy NAB cup rules it's actually 10.8 (68) - 10.13 (73) so make of that what you will.

Your score for the lions (not bears!) doesn't add up. Think you left out a goal. Even if you take away 9pts from the score from the SGs the lions still win by 3pts by my calculations. ie 76-73.

My 2 cents:

- Mooney and Bartel was great as per usual.
- Varcoe finally convinced me that he is worthy of the number 5 (took a while but he finally did it :thumbsu: )
- Matthew Scarlett is human after all (who woulda thought it)
- Charlie... good game! For once...
- Leigh have fun travelling again. At least you'll be racking up those frequent flyer points.

Anyone know where/who we might be playing next week in a praccy?

It was a dissapointing performance because we've worked hard on adopting a new game plan over summer based on quick running but when it was countered with flooding they didnt really know what to do.

The midfielders didnt have confidence to kick long inside the forward line which wouldve been the best way to counteract it, given Mooney and Ablett could contest and then black magic (Varcoe and Djerkurra) couldve polished up at ground level.

i am kind of glad we arent in the grand final anyway, all that hype before the season proper has started Isn't agood thing IMO. Especially in our little pond neck of the woods.

Some good signs from a few players (Varcoe Djerkurra Prismall Mackie Charlie) and some poor signs from others (Playfair Byrnes Ling Scarlett) I dont care what people say, Shannon Byrnes is a horrible horrible player. Seeing Varcoe and Djerkurra for the first time only makes this more plainly obvious. Those guys have speed to burn (likes byrnes) but they use it so much more effectively and have so much more skill. They bought a new pressure to the forward line we havent had for a while, and crumbing at the feet of Ottens who either marks of contests well could be a real asset during the season.

Thats a good post. West Coast and Sydney have finished 1 and 2 the last 2 seasons because they have a number of guys who can run quickly through the midfield and dispose of it accurately...but...they also bounce the ball a number of times on the way through which helps to break up the flood. Its possibly a reason why in general terms WC and Sydney struggle at Skilled stadium as it is narrower and harder to find a passage through the middle of the ground as quickly as both of those sides rely on to create scoring opportunities. In years gone by guys were criticised for bouncing the ball too much because it created a certain amount of unpredictability to your own forwards as to when the ball was actually going to be kicked...now its a vital weapon in confusing the guys trying to run back and flood. Flicking the ball round in quick successive handballs seems to be another tactic to create confusion. Quickly changing sides of the ground another...but the one mentioned first is the most successful and only two sides WC and SYD have perfected it so far. On top of this as is evidenced from the NAB Cup we dont have many/enough guys kicking goals outside 50 on the run and this is another factor as to why we find it so difficult to break the flooding tactics. Guys will be more likely or even forced to defend on or just outside the 50 metre arc which creates some much needed space if you can regularly kick longer type goals. Geelong dont do it much.

Geelong are more than aware of this as recent recruiting strategies would suggest and it looks like we have gone some way to helping this problem but it's not going to fix over night. I feel the flood will be at its most potent earlier in the season when sides are up and running and fresh. The first 6-10 weeks might tell the tale for Geelong again this season like it did last year.

I agree with you that Varcoe and Djerrkura provide some hope this year...and when you add Selwood and Stokes as missing last night it possibly could suggest already how much those guys were missed from the style of play we need to be playing to break up these flooding tactics.

Djezza - Ran hard all night. His second efforts were outstanding. He turned it over a few times, but was always ready to chase and mop up his mistakes. It seems some others were only prepared to sit and shake their head when they turned it over. Laid 6 tackles in the end, and showed that he will be up there this year. Also, how the hell is his name pronounced. I get sick of the 'shakira' calls. Surely that couldnt be right...

try 'jerkoora' for pronunciation

Haven't watched the game yet.
Not sure I want to now after reading this thread.
Don't. My only advice.

I can't bring myself to watch. It's shameful to have such talent in DJ (lol, cool little nickname for him, since we can all pronounce that DJ but not his last name) and Varcoe and the newbies. And then to have Linga standing around like a stunned frog in some cases.

Are we gonna get the Colliwobbles now? Maybe we should change it to Geelly Legs.

I hope Bomber reliases that if we play like this during the season he WILL be fired. Or maybe us fans should lead a revolution and hire Gazza Snr as coach.

Ooh, now that is a good idea.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back