WACA Wallys

Remove this Banner Ad

The attendances at the WACA are irrelevent from now, sure 15 000 turn up for a test match but some people dont want to go and sit in a s**t hole all day. Moving tests and other big games to the NPS will attract more people due to the better facilities it will have. If you think there will be a huge amount of extra seats think of the Perth Arena and the Wildcats. They played at Challenge Stadium which is rubbish and only got 5000 but now they play at a decent stadium and they get 12+ even though everyone thought it would be half full . I reckon Perth could get 30 000 to tests at the NPS but thats just my opinion

That's the biggest fallacy I continually keep hearing, move Tests to a better facilitated ground and the people will come. The results are that is simply not the case. Compare Perth to Brisbane, which is a similarly populated city, but has a world class stadium in the Gabba. Despite that non-Ashes tests regularly draw less than 20k through the gates. Day 1 of the NZ test drew 16k and yesterday drew 14k. Last year day 1 verses India drew 15k and it dropped to under 10k from Day 2. South Africa in 2013 at least drew 25k day 1 but that dropped sharply to 11k day 3.

The reality is there simply arent tens of thousands of people sitting at home who are thinking to themselves 'I'd love to go to the Test that's on today but I wont because the WACA is crap.' 15k in the fishbowl that will be Perth Stadium will be terrible for atmosphere. Test matches have reached their peak in terms of attendance and the only thing that could improve that is day-night tests, which Perth will never be a part of due to its timezone. I've said it before, only an Ashes test would warrant the move to Perth Stadium, and even then I imagine that day 3 onwards will draw crowds that would fit into the WACA.

That's the biggest fallacy I continually keep hearing, move Tests to a better facilitated ground and the people will come. The results are that is simply not the case. Compare Perth to Brisbane, which is a similarly populated city, but has a world class stadium in the Gabba. Despite that non-Ashes tests regularly draw less than 20k through the gates. Day 1 of the NZ test drew 16k and yesterday drew 14k. Last year day 1 verses India drew 15k and it dropped to under 10k from Day 2. South Africa in 2013 at least drew 25k day 1 but that dropped sharply to 11k day 3.

In all fairness, Gabba tests generally outdraw WACA tests. Despite Brisbane weather in summer generally being a lot wetter (and therefore a repellent to cricket crowds). I'd be surprised if any day of the upcoming WACA test was greater than 14k.

The reality is there simply arent tens of thousands of people sitting at home who are thinking to themselves 'I'd love to go to the Test that's on today but I wont because the WACA is crap.' 15k in the fishbowl that will be Perth Stadium will be terrible for atmosphere. Test matches have reached their peak in terms of attendance and the only thing that could improve that is day-night tests, which Perth will never be a part of due to its timezone. I've said it before, only an Ashes test would warrant the move to Perth Stadium, and even then I imagine that day 3 onwards will draw crowds that would fit into the WACA.

I see your point, but for me the thing that stops me going to the WACA to watch test cricket is the WACA itself. I've done the all-day sitting out in the sun thing a few times and I'm just over it. Can't wait for the new stadium and a seat in the shade. I can't be the only one.

Last edited:

I see your point, but for me the things that stops me going to the WACA to watch test cricket is the WACA itself. I've done the all-day sitting out in the sun thing a few times and I'm just over it. Can't wait for the new stadium and a seat in the shade. I can't be the only one.
Same here. Was looking at going but it's just too expensive to sit anywhere with any shade. :(

They should build a shade sail over the grassed area right along. Could either be temporary for a year, of it doesn't work take it down. I recon itd look pretty cool too.

Same here. Was looking at going but it's just too expensive to sit anywhere with any shade. :(
Looking the other day the cheapest place to sit where you are allowed to drink beer is $61 (plus booking fee) for a seat in the sun. It's a joke.

Don't know the temperature in Perth but there is pretty much no shade at the WACA. Never took a lot of notice til now. faaar K

Don't know the temperature in Perth but there is pretty much no shade at the WACA. Never took a lot of notice til now. faaar K

Have said it before, but on tele, it always looks like a serious health hazard.

Surprised more people don't do themselves some damage (eg. sunstroke) sitting on that hill area during a Test. Even the stands don't look like they offer much cover (and are probably mostly cordoned off for WACA members anyway).

Surely they can erect a couple of temporary sails or something on those grassed areas, just to give people a bit of relief if they want/need it.

Have said it before, but on tele, it always looks like a serious health hazard.

Surprised more people don't do themselves some damage (eg. sunstroke) sitting on that hill area during a Test. Even the stands don't look like they offer much cover (and are probably mostly cordoned off for WACA members anyway).

Surely they can erect a couple of temporary sails or something on those grassed areas, just to give people a bit of relief if they want/need it.
They were promoting a new area out the back for this summer with shade sails and a big screen behind the stands. Of course you can sit in shade watching a screen anywhere, but the WACA think they have done a massive community service from it. If you pay to go to the cricket 90% of the time you want to be able to watch it live, not out the back on a screen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were promoting a new area out the back for this summer with shade sails and a big screen behind the stands. Of course you can sit in shade watching a screen anywhere, but the WACA think they have done a massive community service from it. If you pay to go to the cricket 90% of the time you want to be able to watch it live, not out the back on a screen.

Well, I think they have done a community service with that. Gives people the opportunity to have a bit of a break from the heat and refresh a bit, even if it is just for that 10% of the day. Particularly for people with kids, not being able to escape the death Perth sun all day must be murder.

Well, I think they have done a community service with that. Gives people the opportunity to have a bit of a break from the heat and refresh a bit, even if it is just for that 10% of the day. Particularly for people with kids, not being able to escape the death Perth sun all day must be murder.
I agree the initiative is a good one, but it wouldn't be hard to do that over the hills at a bare minimum let alone the lower bowl on the northern side to prevent some respite.

Most SACA members turn up to the tests and never see a live ball bowled

Most SACA members turn up to the tests and never see a live ball bowled
I wouldn't say "most". The stands are generally still pretty full. Usually 70% of the number who were there at the start of play are still there during the day. But yes, a good couple of thousand members out the back.

Having just come off three days of promotional work at the WACA for CommBank, I can safely say it's time for the WACA to be downsized and be used as a boutique ground. May or may not have used my access all areas pass to inspect the whole ground over the course of the test, and despite the nostalgic charm, the quality of services outside of members areas is pretty poor and not having shade over the non-member seating is a complete joke- the WACA gets most of its use whilst Perth temperatures hover around 35 degrees, you need to be able to protect fans from the sun. Plus, the overall accessibility is whack.

Can't wait for nPS.

Having just come off three days of promotional work at the WACA for CommBank, I can safely say it's time for the WACA to be downsized and be used as a boutique ground. May or may not have used my access all areas pass to inspect the whole ground over the course of the test, and despite the nostalgic charm, the quality of services outside of members areas is pretty poor and not having shade over the non-member seating is a complete joke- the WACA gets most of its use whilst Perth temperatures hover around 35 degrees, you need to be able to protect fans from the sun. Plus, the overall accessibility is whack.

Can't wait for nPS.
so nothings changed since about 1980? :)

Check out the images for the new Ballarat stadium – absolutely no reason you couldn't do that to the WACA. You could built a great little arena, well-covered, modern, and appropriately sized. You can say what you want about it being redundant, but you need to keep a smaller ground considering how much cricket goes on in summer. Barney seems intent on keeping the WACA so hopefully they downsize it to 15,000 or something – would be exactly what the sport and WA needs.

As someone who only ever sees the WACA on TV the thing that annoys me most is their sight-screen arragnements.
They've covered seats in white/black material but not high enough so you still have to move the sight-screen to get the ball coming out of the white background. This was the cause of the delay the other day as well.
WACA.jpg

During the World Cup all venues were required to block off the whole sight-screen area so that nothing needed to move. Best practise was enforced. And yet the venues aren't willing to continue this on afterwards. Why CA is happy with this arrangement, I don't know. Moving the sight-screen slows down play (not usually by 17 minutes but still!).
465209130-general-view-of-play-as-afghanistan-start-gettyimages.jpg

Adelaide Oval's sight-screen areas are the best in the country. No issues with moving sight-screens. The Gabba and MCG have gotten on board in the last 2 summers or so. Perth has a half-assed job. Sydney and Hobart stop you from sitting near the sight-screen but it's still the small square screen getting moved. After every ball if your bowler is going over/round depending on the batsman. What an absolute waste of time.

Left arm round-the wicket to right-arm round-the-wicket, block it off, and as high as you need to keep the ball in the white area. Simples. If NPS has this I'll be a happy boy watching on TV not hearing the little warning sound when they keep having to move it.

Check out the images for the new Ballarat stadium – absolutely no reason you couldn't do that to the WACA. You could built a great little arena, well-covered, modern, and appropriately sized. You can say what you want about it being redundant, but you need to keep a smaller ground considering how much cricket goes on in summer. Barney seems intent on keeping the WACA so hopefully they downsize it to 15,000 or something – would be exactly what the sport and WA needs.
That's the plan, WACA gets downsized and improved to 15000 with the WAFC moving their base in and WAFL games being played there.

http://www.waca.com.au/images/cms/content/fdsc/Vision2030 FDSC Public Report.pdf

That report was released in September.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back