Mega Thread Wafl 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

I suppose he's a little like Johnno, key differences being that he's much more courageous and willing to put his body on the line but his kicking isn't in the same stratosphere as MJ.

I've knocked Roberton in the past, don't dislike him but I don't think his disposal is up to it, but this is exactly the type of performance you want from your fringe players when they're in the WAFL.

Wish I wasn't working last night, I'd actually planned on going to the Souths game :(

I can't understand what is going on with Gav Roberts. What little Footy he played last year was for Perth Reserves and now he has played both pre-season games for Perth Ressies again. He has completed more of the pre-season than Roberton who stepped straight in to League Footy. Is the club worried about his body breaking down or do they not rate him? If the guy can't start dominating Reserves games he will be delisted by years end.

The pick of the bunch was Roberton being named East Perth's best player. Also Crozier and Crichton named in their teams best. So on the back of Jay VB last week being one of West Perth's best a step in the right direction regarding building depth.

Crichton and Roberton - the forgotten men of the 2012 pre-season. Have heard less than nothing about these two over the last few months. Not surprising to see them put in solid performances in the WAFL though. Crichton has been really solid at WAFL level ever since he arrived at Fremantle and there is a reason Roberton was getting AFL games as well.

Good stuff.

For anyone interested Perth led South Fremantle at 3QT by 50pts. Perth ended up losing to South Fremante by 8 pts.

What was Hase's 3Q time speech "Ummm you guys realise that we're losing to Perth right? Perth. The Demons. Perth. The F'n Perth Demons. C'mon, seriously?

As an aside, I realise Perth is actually looking pretty good so far this year. But still, Perth?...

I can't understand what is going on with Gav Roberts. What little Footy he played last year was for Perth Reserves and now he has played both pre-season games for Perth Ressies again. He has completed more of the pre-season than Roberton who stepped straight in to League Footy. Is the club worried about his body breaking down or do they not rate him? If the guy can't start dominating Reserves games he will be delisted by years end.

Roberts was injured basically all year in 2011 and I think they have tried to shelter him a bit.
This year he is still injured but probably close to recovered.

I agree if he doesn't get to WAFL league level this year I think any chance of a rookie promotion will be gone entirely. A shame really because his skills are first class.

I regard Greg Broughton as probably the best kick off both feet at Freo but having watched Roberton it is hard to pick which is his preferred foot, he is so fluent.

Having said that , it would be fantastic if he could drill them like Suban for example.

I thought Roberton played especially well given he looked like he was playing with a bunch of players he hardly knew. He racked up most of the stats in the first half and was bit quieter in the second.

Crozier looks like a footballer through and through. Just needs to continue building a bit of size and fitness.

After reading the earlier posts and watching Roberton I think some allowance should be made for players coming into team they've never played with before. When Suban goes and plays for Claremont, he hardly know a soul, whereas the WCE players like Neates, Stevens etc have all played there for a season Swift is actually a Claremont player.

I think Suban is very important player in terms of being able to release Broughton to the midfield.

Excellent article on Roberton in "The Game" today. Micale says he has no doubt Roberton could play AFL next week after limited preparation. He comments that Roberton has improved his contested marking and one on one defending out of sight. He's bulked up considerably and at 20 years of age looks a really solid defensive prospect.
Walters also gets a mention. His coach says Sonny has improved the one percenters in his game. He notes that Walters could always play but wasn't willing to to that hard stuff off the ball that doesn't get noticed and now he is so good signs. Credits Walters with getting them back in the game in the second half.

Excellent article on Roberton in "The Game" today. Micale says he has no doubt Roberton could play AFL next week after limited preparation. He comments that Roberton has improved his contested marking and one on one defending out of sight. He's bulked up considerably and at 20 years of age looks a really solid defensive prospect.
Walters also gets a mention. His coach says Sonny has improved the one percenters in his game. He notes that Walters could always play but wasn't willing to to that hard stuff off the ball that doesn't get noticed and now he is so good signs. Credits Walters with getting them back in the game in the second half.

I don't doubt Roberton could play AFL. I don't think there is a spot for him at the moment though. If he'd been able to play in the NAB Cup things might be different - look at Pearce - but Lyon wouldn't have seen much of what he can do. He's not in the class of Mundy, so he'll just have to keep putting pressure on via good WAFL form.

The fact Sumich and Stone are also new at the club wouldn't help Roberton's cause either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't doubt Roberton could play AFL. I don't think there is a spot for him at the moment though. If he'd been able to play in the NAB Cup things might be different - look at Pearce - but Lyon wouldn't have seen much of what he can do. He's not in the class of Mundy, so he'll just have to keep putting pressure on via good WAFL form.

The fact Sumich and Stone are also new at the club wouldn't help Roberton's cause either.

The implication was that Johnson may not come up and that Roberton would be the closest in type to play the loose man role.

I'd still be inclined to think there'd be people in front of Robbo if MJ was ruled out, ie. Grover, Silvagni, Subes, Duffield, Ibbo. Not based on personal opinion with these names - just that these are the guys that generally get the games in front of guys like Roberton in the past.

That said, i'm really pleased with the endorsement he & Croz received from Micale.. Even if Micale was blowing off steam at the umps at half time, and that he also mentioned in the Roberton article that he turned the ball over a few times.

Im just going to put this out there.

There are players in the WAFL in key positions that should be on our list.

I have been concerned at what appeared to be directionless recruitment but it comforts me to know these blokes could be plucked from the WAFL at any time and do a good job at AFL level.

Guys like Thomson and Josh Smith are plug in and play types and should be on an AFL list.

I was also thoroughly impressed with Jarryd Morton.

He is all class and looks good as a rebounding defender come centreman.

No shame in being squeezed out of the Hawks forward line.

^^^
Medhurst would shred in the AFL this year as would Leon Davies. Crazy these guys aren't playing.

Yeah, it still boggles the mind that a club has no ability to sign a player (that is not on any current AFL list) at any time if they have the room on their player list.

Medhurst could have cost nothing and been the foil for Ballatyne to play more time in the middle and forced Walters to come up to the mark.

It's great for the WAFL but does leave you scratching your head sometimes, especially when you see the likes of Jay Van Berlo on a list.

I watched the EP v CL game...Roberton was very good, has definitely bulked up & showed alot more effort in wanting to get to contests & compete in the air as well as provide some run - can see him taking Johnson's possie over by mid year.

Crozier was sublime for a WAFL debutant...raking kick on him & I was surprised at his foot skills after some reports pre-season saying his kicking was off. It was on, on saturday....kicked 2 great goals, has a bit of toe about him & I can see him jagging a few games this season for us. Real prospect & I'd rate him well ahead of where Pitt was last year.

Players on show this week:

S v SF

A Grover
H Schloithe

P v PT

J Crichton
P Faulks
T Sheridan
A Morabito ( reserves )

EF v C

S Menegola
J Griffin
A Silvagni

EP v WP

H Crozier
D Roberton

No Mundy, Anthony or Neale. No VB - could he be a late inclusion on Saturday?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back