ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
They’ve just announced WAFL footy is back at the beginning of August, but don’t seem to have put anything in place for AFL listed players to play in the second tier comps.
Luke Beveridge suggested something 14-a-side curtain raiser / scratch matches before the official games. Might work for the Vic clubs, but is infinitely more difficult for the WA & SA clubs. It also assumes little to no injuries. 23 playing firsts + 14-16 playing scratchies before the main game, assumes that most clubs will have a very short injury list and be able to field a relatively balanced team. And if that’s the case what do the few left overs - not injured but nowhere to play.

All that aside... yay for WAFL footy! It would suck for the local comps to lose a whole season, but it does become problematic for Peel having a reduced squad, and I even feel sorry for the non-AFL listed WC WAFL guys. At least the peel guys have a club, even if they do go back to copping thrashings every week.

OT again... I’m really glad the WAFL is back. But my question also - does this mean the WAFLW is back too? 5 teams last year, expanding to 6 teams this year. WAFL is back, but absolutely no mention of the WAFLW comp.

They’ve just announced WAFL footy is back at the beginning of August, but don’t seem to have put anything in place for AFL listed players to play in the second tier comps.
Luke Beveridge suggested something 14-a-side curtain raiser / scratch matches before the official games. Might work for the Vic clubs, but is infinitely more difficult for the WA & SA clubs. It also assumes little to no injuries. 23 playing firsts + 14-16 playing scratchies before the main game, assumes that most clubs will have a very short injury list and be able to field a relatively balanced team. And if that’s the case what do the few left overs - not injured but nowhere to play.

All that aside... yay for WAFL footy! It would suck for the local comps to lose a whole season, but it does become problematic for Peel having a reduced squad, and I even feel sorry for the non-AFL listed WC WAFL guys. At least the peel guys have a club, even if they do go back to copping thrashings every week.

OT again... I’m really glad the WAFL is back. But my question also - does this mean the WAFLW is back too? 5 teams last year, expanding to 6 teams this year. WAFL is back, but absolutely no mention of the WAFLW comp.

Why August? No reason why it can't be July if West Aust have minimal COVID numbers.

I feel the WAFL still view the WAFLW as a separate second tier comp. The will use the WAFLW for promotion when it suits them but for most wafl clubs, they are a distant cousin. Did anyone see east freo's go fund me page? they used a photo of the womens 2019 team who won the flag last year to promote their go fund me but they rarely if ever, post about the women on their facebook page. They were doing a countdown of all the men's league players prior to everything shutting down but nothing about the women. Until it suited them and they could get some leverage for their fundraising gig.

Apparently 16 min qtrs for WAFL to fall in line with the AFL, wtf does the WAFC bow down to the faarkwits that is the AFL so they can stuff up second tier and grass roots footy as well, not surprised by the spineless pricks at the WAFC though who have let $ubi do what ever they like for years.

I like the idea of 16 min quarters plus time on. Will make the game more entertaining and the overall game a better length.
Why change though do you think the Freo V Essendon game was a good spectacle bruize free footy that had a tally of 17 goals between them my mates that are running around Amateurs don’t want it why is the AFL sticking their noses in .

i get theres alot of young fans who have probably being around since the 2000’s and like fast and quick game akin to AFLX the best era imo was the nineties they’ve messed around with it since i think the AFL should be careful of turning fans away from the game, are they going to cut memberships and players salaries by 20% as well to make up the shortage in game time.

I like the idea of 16 min quarters plus time on. Will make the game more entertaining and the overall game a better length.
Agree.

I live in Melbourne and have small kids.

I find it easier to go to a Storm game than a Dockers game because of the length of the game.

That 30 mins makes a big difference with small kids.

Apparently 16 min qtrs for WAFL to fall in line with the AFL, wtf does the WAFC bow down to the faarkwits that is the AFL so they can stuff up second tier and grass roots footy as well, not surprised by the spineless pricks at the WAFC though who have let $ubi do what ever they like for years.
There's every chance that the AFL had absolutely zero to do with this decision. I think they care a lot less about the WAFL + SANFL than many give them credit for.
I reckon it will have more to do with a reduced pre-season so the WAFL knows players won't be as fit so it makes the game shorter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's every chance that the AFL had absolutely zero to do with this decision. I think they care a lot less about the WAFL + SANFL than many give them credit for.
I reckon it will have more to do with a reduced pre-season so the WAFL knows players won't be as fit so it makes the game shorter.
The WAFC are AFL sycophants theres no way the AFL would let the WAFL start before the AFL season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back