Player Watch Wayne Milera

Remove this Banner Ad

How long to you want to give him to improve in this area? You said we already have 7/8....do we need another 19 year old doing the same thing?? So that when we get to another GF we end up with the same result as we did this year because we've allowed a culture of spectating.

He's 19, those bad habits need to stop and they need to stop now.

Lets call it for what it is, he has enormous potential, kicking/skill and vision is fantastic but he has some glaring deficiencies.
FFS once again ......you're defining a 19yo's career with 12 or so games of AFL ......get real !!

ALL PLAYERS HAVE A DEVELOPMENT CURVE .......you may have heard of that term ? ......last i heard most 18 year olds entering the AFL system are not the finished product ....although i could be wrong :rolleyes:

Just think back to the dialogue on Walker, Lynch, Dangerfield in their 2nd years .......i don't believe their performances defined their careers ......just dumb

FFS once again ......you're defining a 19yo's career with 12 or so games of AFL ......get real !!

ALL PLAYERS HAVE A DEVELOPMENT CURVE .......you may have heard of that term ? ......last i heard most 18 year olds entering the AFL system are not the finished product ....although i could be wrong :rolleyes:

Just think back to the dialogue on Walker, Lynch, Dangerfield in their 2nd years .......i don't believe their performances defined their careers ......just dumb
qksB04.png

That's all fine and good but most young players get better the more exposure they have to AFL, IMO Milera's contested footy regressed this season.

qksB04.png

That's all fine and good but most young players get better the more exposure they have to AFL, IMO Milera's contested footy regressed this season.
I really rate Milera as his first few games were excellent for an AFL rookie. I agree he hasn't shown as much flare this year, but I think it's a combination of coaches instructions to a different game style and his still learning to adjust with the game style and playing to his natural game. He still has a lot of upside.

I really rate Milera as his first few games were excellent for an AFL rookie. I agree he hasn't shown as much flare this year, but I think it's a combination of coaches instructions to a different game style and his still learning to adjust with the game style and playing to his natural game. He still has a lot of upside.

Milera is not failing but he isn't Clayton Oliver either

I think he will become a 200 gamer and not being a top 10 pick is a pretty handy pick

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

as a HFF ....not a small forward
Milera would waste away as a small forward. We need to get him around the ball on the outside to create the play. Ideally HBF or wingman.

I've watched the 97 and 98 GFs lately. One thing stands out. Every player cracked in when it was his turn to go. None of this 'but. but, but...I'm an Outside Player..."
There was a much harder edge to those sides than out present bunch. I'm with Benny on this.

I love this post

There are some footy fundamentals that are required no matter what role you play in the side and Milera at the moment is trying to play bruise free footy which puts the onus on his team mates to do his share of the heavy lifting

The other thing with Junior is he does have some weapons but he doesn't use his pace or skills to hurt the opposition

Not really offering much defensively or offensively ATM, hopefully this changes in season 2018

I've watched the 97 and 98 GFs lately. One thing stands out. Every player cracked in when it was his turn to go. None of this 'but. but, but...I'm an Outside Player..."
There was a much harder edge to those sides than out present bunch. I'm with Benny on this.
That's all well and good mate but the game has moved on significantly since them. Now days you get penalised if you go in, hunt the footy and you get hald tackled.

Since the game has changed, the roles of players have changed significantly. Back then you could play with 2 ruckman (hell we played with 3) now days its a real liability. It's comparing apples to oranges I am afraid.

The underlying theme in Hawthorn threepeat was physicality and unsocial footy.

Even Richmond and the Doggies were hard at the ball and man to win their Premierships.

We need more of it.

That is not to say Milera won't do well. He is young and has never been a physical player as a junior. But it is a key area he needs to improve. Like most of our guys.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, this is not bagging on Milera who I rate, but all players need to be hard at it when required.

The notion that outside players don’t have to is ridiculous. Just look at Atkins, how many times have you screamed at him to go in harder and not shirk a contest? I know I have and it frustrates the hell out of me.

Milera will get there as he’s still a kid, if he doesn’t he won’t fulfil his potential.

Look, this is not bagging on Milera who I rate, but all players need to be hard at it when required.

The notion that outside players don’t have to is ridiculous. Just look at Atkins, how many times have you screamed at him to go in harder and not shirk a contest? I know I have and it frustrates the hell out of me.

Milera will get there as he’s still a kid, if he doesn’t he won’t fulfil his potential.
I agree.

Andrew Mcleod was a great outside player. But hard as nails when he needed to be.

I think if an "outside player" loves the tough stuff it improves their ability to use their outside game even more so.

Im far from worried about any hardness issues, Burgoyne was never a hard at it player, but hawthorn position him and coach him to play wider because his skills are freaking unbeatable. I hope adelaide are doing the same with Milera, I would rather him with the ball running over the centre line about to deliver to our forwards, even more so than someone like sloane , Sloanes a great player but not an elite kick, let sloane get the ball and give it to milera, How many times would Mitchell, Lewis or Hodge have dished it off to Burgoyne who plays well outside and for good reason.

Thsi is why most are saying Milera isnt hard, he doesnt poistion he plays wider for large chunks and for good reason, he is the end user the delivery man.

Im far from worried about any hardness issues, Burgoyne was never a hard at it player, but hawthorn position him and coach him to play wider because his skills are freaking unbeatable. I hope adelaide are doing the same with Milera, I would rather him with the ball running over the centre line about to deliver to our forwards, even more so than someone like sloane , Sloanes a great player but not an elite kick, let sloane get the ball and give it to milera, How many times would Mitchell, Lewis or Hodge have dished it off to Burgoyne who plays well outside and for good reason.

Thsi is why most are saying Milera isnt hard, he doesnt poistion he plays wider for large chunks and for good reason, he is the end user the delivery man.
A man talking sense at last

Ok, do you think Burgoyne is a harder player than Atkins?

Ok, do you think Burgoyne is a harder player than Atkins?

No, nor Mackay, infact Mackay is probably seen to be the hardest as he doesnt have super super fast pace, he doesnt have an elite kick, Mackays strenght is his engine the guy could run 40Km if needed, but that is so he can get back and defend which means he will need to put his body in bad positions and too his credit he does. Atkins is evasive and reasonable pace, Milera has composure and skill, with a pace which seems slower than it actually is.

Out of those 3 Milera is Burgoyne like, Burgoyne isnt soft, neither is Milera, they just arent put in the thick of it and why would you put them in there , where they cant use their biggest asset, their kicking skills

We have inside and outside players for a reason, Someone mentioned no one in the 97, 98 Gf's were soft, Bond, Connell, Sampson were far from hard nuts but they were like Milera, being used in a roll where they needed to get by themselves, let their opposition player leave them and cause the most damage they can running solo and generally forward

As Crows supporters surely we remeber how good/hard Shaunie is in congestion at stoppages.

Just replay the 2012 Prelim if you can't remember.

He plays very wide, like he has BO, but its for a reason, not because hes soft. Milera is being taught to do the same for the same reason.

Pyke would be telling Milera lose your player and break forward and deliver at every opportunity, he couldnt do that with CC, unless you wanted the ball to come back with interest on it

Agree, I think this whole hardness thing is a bit OTT.

All we need is repeat efforts from him without the footy, and a hunger to have the footy in his hands.

Look at your Burgoynes, Wells, I. Smith examples. All fantastic, elite outside players. They're not super hard at it, they just run their asses off and want the footy in their hands because they are confident in their ability. That will come with time.

Again as I said, the defensive work rate and repeat efforts is more so what I want to see from Milera this year rather than "hardness"

Last edited:
Agree, I think this whole hardness thing is a bit OTT.

All we need is repeat efforts from him without the footy, and a hunger to have the footy in his hands.

Look at your Burgoynes, Wells, I. Smith examples. All fantastic, elite outside players. They're not super hard at it, they just run their asses off and want the footy in their hands because their confident in their ability. That will come with time.

Again as I said, the defensive work rate and repeat efforts is more so what I want to see from Milera this year rather than "hardness"

It will be Mileras role in the team to make space take the ball and deliver to the forwrads for the reason he has one of the best kicks in the team.

Will be interesting to see if he is relied on more with the other elite kick in smith out for the year, as they wont be handing it off to Kelly to deliver

He plays very wide, like he has BO, but its for a reason, not because hes soft. Milera is being taught to do the same for the same reason.

Pyke would be telling Milera lose your player and break forward and deliver at every opportunity, he couldnt do that with CC, unless you wanted the ball to come back with interest on it
Clarko loves chucking Shaunie into a centre bounce when he needs to win a centre break.

Sadly a great example is that Prelim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back