Opinion WB BigFooty Consensus Best 22 2019: Forwards

Which six players feature in the forward line of our best 22 for 2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Here's the one you've all been waiting for: round up, round up, for the annual chook lotto to see which midfielders, defenders and ruckmen will feature in our forward line for the season. This year, for the first time, we appear to have some interesting, never-before-seen contenders: some actual forwards?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For three years now we've voted on the Western Bulldogs' best 22 for the year ahead to establish a "consensus" BigFooty lineup to generate some discussion.

You know the drill by now: a number of players that I feel are relevant to the current section of the ground will be placed into a poll. You are to vote for as many players as is required.

For example, we'll be picking the forwards from now until Saturday, so you should vote for six forwards.

Feel free to discuss the selections on the thread but make sure you vote in the poll to ensure that your vote is counted. Only votes from Western Bulldogs supporters will be considered.

If you believe I've missed anybody that should be eligible in this position, let me know and I'll add them in.

2016 Lineup
FB: Morris - Roberts - Boyd
HB: Murphy - Hamling - Wood
C: Hunter - Liberatore - Macrae
HF: McLean - Stringer - Crameri
FF: Dickson - Boyd - Dahlhaus
R: Roughead - Wallis - Bontempelli
I: Picken - Johannisen - Suckling - Stevens

2017 Lineup
FB: Dale Morris - Marcus Adams - Matthew Boyd
HB: Jason Johannisen - Easton Wood - Robert Murphy
C: Lachie Hunter - Marcus Bontempelli - Jack Macrae
HF: Jake Stringer - Travis Cloke - Stewart Crameri
FF: Tory Dickson - Tom Boyd - Clay Smith
R: Jordan Roughead - Tom Liberatore - Luke Dahlhaus
I: Liam Picken - Caleb Daniel - Shane Biggs - Mitch Wallis

2018 Lineup
FB: Dale Morris (100 votes) - Marcus Adams (83) - Easton Wood (113)
HB: Jason Johannisen (73) - Jackson Trengove (96) - Shane Biggs (93)
C: Lachie Hunter (58) - Marcus Bontempelli (90) - Bailey Dale (23)
HF: Luke Dahlhaus (87) - Josh Schache (81) - Toby McLean (82)
FF: Tory Dickson (74) - Tom Boyd (104) - Liam Picken (85)
R: Jordan Roughead (60) - Tom Liberatore (73) - Jack Macrae (64)
I: Caleb Daniel (52) - Mitch Wallis (43) - Zaine Cordy (27) - Josh Dunkley (23)

2019 Lineup so far
FB: D. Morris (63 votes) - A. Naughton (68) - E. Wood (62)
HB: J. Johannisen (61) - Z. Cordy (62) - H. Crozier (51)
C: L. Hunter (48 votes) - M. Bontempelli (101) - E. Richards (26)
HF: x - x - x
FF: x - x - x
R: J. Trengove (61) - T. Liberatore (61) - J. Macrae (86)
I: x - x - x - x

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous threads:
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...e-up-our-starting-onballers-3-1-ruck.1209612/
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/wb-bigfooty-consensus-best-22-2019-wingmen.1211733/

I’m surprised at the love for Toby McLean forward. Looking at his career stats he’s only managed to kick multiple goals on 7 occasions and no bags of three or higher. Don’t get me wrong, I love him as a player but I think his role as a high half forward / inside mid depth works best. I’d say players like Lloyd and Cavarra are better bets playing big minutes forward.

3 x Talls , 3 x Smalls, Schache, English, Gowers and Lloyd, Cavarra, McLean.
Running really smooth like a well oiled Machine.

Note: It's tough to rhyme using six players at a time.

I’m surprised at the love for Toby McLean forward. Looking at his career stats he’s only managed to kick multiple goals on 7 occasions and no bags of three or higher. Don’t get me wrong, I love him as a player but I think his role as a high half forward / inside mid depth works best. I’d say players like Lloyd and Cavarra are better bets playing big minutes forward.
I had him in my 6 for this exact reason - I want him playing half-forward with bursts in the midfield. Watching the 2016 GF, he looked really dangerous around goals so I'm still confident he could be really valuable to our forward line once we have some proper structure

I think it's more a case of picking your 22 not just 6 forwards. Only 4 bench spots left after this!

I think it's more a case of picking your 22 not just 6 forwards. Only 4 bench spots left after this!
I would of thought it was a case of picking with your heart (Morris and Liberatore) instead of picking with your head and
that is why players get left out. I saw some horrible balance issues in the teams we sent out last year though to be
honest injuries played a huge part in that.

Only one day left on the poll - make sure you get your votes in! The top three look pretty stable, but only 11 votes separate the next six players.
One person could not see Josh Schache in our top six forwards this year, amazing must have gone small.

No love for Win Jong I think KPF is the only position left I have not recommended him for.

Voting has been completed - thanks all!

BigFooty has selected the following forward line for 2019:

HF: T. McLean (37 votes) - J. Schache (57) - M. Wallis (31)
FF: S. Lloyd (29) - B. Gowers (56) - B. Cavarra (28)

This reflects a massive departure from the 2018 team, with only Josh Schache (57 votes, 98.3%) and Toby McLean (37 votes, 63.8%) holding their positions from last season. This year, Luke Dahlhaus (traded), Liam Picken (not listed, concussion), Tom Boyd (20 votes, 34.5%) and Tory Dickson (25 votes, 43.1%) make way for 2018 leading goalkicker Billy Gowers (56 votes, 96.6%), and newcomers Sam Lloyd (29 votes, 50.0%) and Ben Cavarra (28 votes, 48.3%), whilst Mitch Wallis (31 votes, 53.4%) makes his fourth-straight appearance, but first in the forward line. Wallis has now been named in three different positions.

Also narrowly missing was youngster Fergus Greene, with his 24 votes representing 41.4% of voters. Others receiving votes were Tim English (13 votes, 22.4%), Josh Dunkley (10 votes, 17.2%), Bailey Dale (7 votes, 12.1%), Matt Suckling (3 votes, 5.2%) and Patrick Lipinski (3 votes, 5.2%). Receiving a single vote were Lewis Young, Bailey Smith, Bailey Williams, Caleb Daniel and Jordon Sweet.

We are now voting on the interchange. Please go to the new thread to vote:
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/wb-bigfooty-consensus-best-22-2019-interchange.1212169/

Crap, I missed my chance to vote for Bailey Dale. Reopen the vote, Broward County style and let me bus in the Baileys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe an untried player at AFL level in Cavarra and a journey man forward in Lloyd got votes ahead of Bailey Dale.

Back