WCW... :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Great read , reckon I watched Nitro religously for 3 years . My favourite memories
- Jericho vs Malenko fued - master of 1001 holds vs master of 1004 ( Jericho )
- Scott Steiner vs DDP over Kimberly
- Hogan v Warrior
- Bischoff trying to implement HLA

Beginning of the end was Goldberg losing with Hall using the stun gun then the final coffin ' the finger poke of doom '

Had a real sweet spot for a while

Didn't that happen in the WWE in 2002?

Yep that sweet spot was the best wrestling has ever been. Shame it didn’t last.

But this is where the fandom has changed--- the 2020 version of wrestling fans would complain that a mid-40's Hulk Hogan who could barely work held the belt for 18 months across two stints.

Great read , reckon I watched Nitro religously for 3 years . My favourite memories
- Hogan v Warrior

Beginning of the end was Goldberg losing with Hall using the stun gun then the final coffin ' the finger poke of doom '

I actually thought they still had an opportunity with the finish to Starcade 98. I was intrigued and interested. Then the finger poke of doom happened. I went from a fan to not being able to see it the same way again. And that was a 15yo who didn't know s**t watching it on near one week delay.

- Hogan v Warrior

never forget that crowd reaction when Malenko (dressed as Ciclope) won the battle royal and unmasked.

I actually thought they still had an opportunity with the finish to Starcade 98. I was intrigued and interested. Then the finger poke of doom happened. I went from a fan to not being able to see it the same way again. And that was a 15yo who didn't know sh*t watching it on near one week delay.
Your a little bit younger then me but same deal . Really put me off .

Others here woukd know better than me but from what I've read and heard it really hit the skids when Nash got a fair bit of creative control

Your a little bit younger then me but same deal . Really put me off .

Others here woukd know better than me but from what I've read and heard it really hit the skids when Nash got a fair bit of creative control

Yea sounds like he wasn't good but it was a combination of a lot of things. A lot of top older stars with creative control only interested in what suited them at the time. And leadership with no interest in pulling it all together and that never had any vision for the future.

Watching some 2000 WCW on the network and even among the garbage of David Arquette as champion and Vince Russo being on screen, Mark Madden's 'commentary' really stands out as f'n awful.

WCW Monday Nitro September 11 1995

Episode 1 did its job as I've been looking forward to this all week. Alex Wright vs Sabu, String vs VK Wallstreet are interesting matches. Wrestling does look physically rough by today's standards. Randy Savage feels dated but its only 1995 so maybe its just me remembering him from even older WWF videos. Lex Luger does look like a star, can see why he was pushed big in WWF prior. Commentator holds a dog at the end of the show.

Not as captivating as the premiere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fall Brawl September 17 1995

It is generally considered fact that professional wrestling in the US was s**t before WCW's New World Order and WWF's Attitude Era changed it forever. So it was with trepidation that I buckled in for this near 3-hour 1995 PPV.

Badd vs Flyin' Brian is a looong match but pulls it off in the end.

Diamond Dallas Page is physically bigger than in 2001-02 WWF.

Ric Flair looks his age. If he's firmly lodged in the upper card for the next 5 and a half years... we'll see what I think going forward.

Hogan, Savage, Luger and Sting defeat the Dungeon of Doom in the War Games match main event. Caged roof is incredibly short, not far from the wrestlers' heads. No Hardy Boyz flips in this.

WCW when it was winning the Monday Night Wars (NWO/Goldberg/Hogan/Sting etc) in the mid to late 90s is still my favourite time in wrestling.

I remember watching Nitro on TNT on Austar/Foxtel on a Saturday night having a few drinks before heading out to the clubs. Good Times.

It had such an affect on me that I am still an NWO mark to this day. #4life. Lol.

WCW when it was winning the Monday Night Wars (NWO/Goldberg/Hogan/Sting etc) in the mid to late 90s is still my favourite time in wrestling.

I remember watching Nitro on TNT on Austar/Foxtel on a Saturday night having a few drinks before heading out to the clubs. Good Times.

It had such an affect on me that I am still an NWO mark to this day. #4life. Lol.

Haha it's where BOMBERS4LIFE came from when i created my big footy account

My high school was full of students wearing NWO t-shirts me and my mate had The Outsiders ones with Nash and Hall posing

Haha it's where BOMBERS4LIFE came from when i created my big footy account

My high school was full of students wearing NWO t-shirts me and my mate had The Outsiders ones with Nash and Hall posing

Nice. I had an nWo black and white sticker on the back windscreen of my first car! :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back