WCW... :(

Remove this Banner Ad

When Vince brought WCW he should have kept the WCW roster as is and made it as a separate show instead of Smackdown

Absolutely. He could have then had the occasional cross-promotional PPV and potentially built two separate audiences, in addition to the core wrestling audience. Instead he hotshotted the whole thing, his ego wouldn't allow WCW to look competitive and millions of dollars in potential revenue was lost.

When Vince brought WCW he should have kept the WCW roster as is and made it as a separate show instead of Smackdown

Absolutely. He could have then had the occasional cross-promotional PPV and potentially built two separate audiences, in addition to the core wrestling audience. Instead he hotshotted the whole thing, his ego wouldn't allow WCW to look competitive and millions of dollars in potential revenue was lost.

Except that UPN (the network Smackdown was on) wanted WWE branded content rather than WCW branded content.

People forget how badly the WCW brand name was tarnished by 2000-2001, no network wanted to go near it.

I agree that the Invasion was botched & they should’ve waited until many of the AOL contracts were up (Hogan, Flair, Hall, Nash, Goldberg, etc), but let’s not pretend that Smackown could’ve become Nitro without massive & lengthy negotiations happening first

Except that UPN (the network Smackdown was on) wanted WWE branded content rather than WCW branded content.

People forget how badly the WCW brand name was tarnished by 2000-2001, no network wanted to go near it.

I agree that the Invasion was botched & they should’ve waited until many of the AOL contracts were up (Hogan, Flair, Hall, Nash, Goldberg, etc), but let’s not pretend that Smackown could’ve become Nitro without massive & lengthy negotiations happening first

I liked the Invasion ppv one of my favourites

Loved WWF at the time used to hire the movies off the PPV's around the 93 to 96 years, loved the characters even if it was over the top stupid but was a kid then.

Attitude Era was awesome , most episodes you were left hanging thinking what will happen next, great roster and the best part was a lot of mid carders had decent storylines to.

As much as I loved the attitude era I somehow think I loved WCW more because it was so different, the bell ring, the sound of the mat, ring announcers and commentators, it started going downhill when they flogged the hell out of the NWO and then Wolfpac, LWO.

Hard trying to get into 1996+ WCW now knowing their main event scene never really clicked or turned over new stars except Goldberg, and knowing the whole project ends in tears. Tempted to skip ahead to 1999 when it becomes WWF lite.

I’ve just started watching Nitro from the beginning. Almost up to the World War 3 show.

I have Sting’s and Disco Inferno’s song stuck in my head :wink:

I’ve just started watching Nitro from the beginning. Almost up to the World War 3 show.

I have Sting’s and Disco Inferno’s song stuck in my head :wink:

get out! o_O :poo:
tenor.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Hey yo”

I remember that like yesterday and then 2 weeks later Nash shows up

Early years WCW were awesome but then drove it into the ground by basically making the entire roster NWO members

what really killed them was a lot of things. The. First of which was not developing any new talent. At various stages on their roster after they poached Hogan, they had Brian Pillman, Steve Austin, Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerro. All but Pillman ended up being WwF/WWE champions. Their biggest loss was Austin. The second was their high money recruits from the then WWF Hogan, Nash, Hall, Randy Savage, Lex Luger(more a WCW guy) Curt Hennig and Bret Hart. They also brought in people like Bobby Heenan, Jesse Ventura(briefly) and Gene Oakerland. So they stopped being different from the WWF by becoming the WWF, in a sense losing their identit. Thirdly as you pointed out the NWO, it became too big, too protected and went for too long. Their final nail was the hiring(poaching) of Vince Russo. Although to be fair, by the time Russo got there, WCW was already dying, he just quickens the demise.

Good old WCW…

We had chaffeured about 20 of the wrestlers and nitro girls to The Next Blue at Crown when they toured for Nitro and Thunder

After having close to a bottle of scotch mostly hanging with Rey Mysterio/Konan, Disco Inferno and a few Nitro Girls, i pointed out that Mike Sanders seemed to be kissing Nash’s ass (both present sitting on a couch 5 metres away)
Cue the “oohhhhhhh!!!!” from everyone who overheard it including Mark Jindrak who went and told Nash with Nash responding …”Who said that?” I completely brushed it off as no biggy….then i have Sean O’Hare squaring up to me 5 mins later lol….

“WHAT THE * DID YOU SAY ABOUT MY FRIEND MIKE SANDERS?” to which i could only mumble …”whaa?” with the feeling you get if youve heard some tragic news. Disco and co try to settle O’Hare and i make a run for it with my mates back to the Atrium Bar at crown with both Nash and Sanders giving chase. Ended up seeing Ric Flair and Mark Madden and ran to them incoherently explaining what had happened. (Madden telling me Sanders wouldnt hit you but Nash will) Nash and Sanders walk over and it all gets eventually sorted out.
Riding on my high from fearing a beating to end all beatings to everything being sweet again and shouting another round, we bump into dave penzer the old ring announcer. He tells us he wants to find some girls. We convince him to take him to The Boardroom brothel in the back of my mates VL Calais 🤣😂. He picked two chicks and when he came out of the brothel he gave us the outsiders sign.

definetely my #1 funniest story

Remove this Banner Ad

Back