Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh boy

Just saw a great idea on YouTube mowing through home workout videos

Backpack training for resistance purposes

Now initially I've only ever seen backpack training in shows like the biggest loser where trainers will chuck 20-30-40kg backpacks on contestants backs towards the end of the series, the weight in the backpacks is the weight representing what contestants have lost during the show and will make them go on an incline walk in a national park or something as a "challenge"

Buttttt....

It seems backpacks (sturdy ones in particular) are great when you don't have things like kettlebells or zbars, fill them up with heavy textbooks, yellow pages etc and go nuts

Will try it out tomorrow doing bicep curls I think, will chuck the pair of 8s in and a few textbooks and see how it goes, if all goes well then I should be able to smash upright rows out with it and maybe bent over/1 armers too
Gunna say absolutely nup to that now and hope no one took that tip onboard

Did bent over bag rows and bag curls as part of back routine

Great idea, but shithouse for big tall blokes i think, particularly the bag curls

Reckon the 20kg bag overloaded my lower back/glutes as the centre of gravity is much lower compared to a barbell/dumbbell etc plus the bulky bag made me go into a slightly different unnatural standing position, so combined with my long levers = type of exercise i could slip discs with i think

Perhaps that contributed to my 3.5 day slow leg recovery as i did bag curls with legs and didn't feel 100% afterwards, but took me a til today to workout why.

Hurry up and get here dumbbells before I do my back again doing something stupid/being stupidly creative... or randomly doing everyday movements :(

GROTTO TheGermanator

Just did back/bis and used my PTP tube

Tried the door anchor to mimic lat pulldowns, but turned out to be nothing more than a slight high row, waste of time plus was a bit of a budge to open/shut the door imo

Really need a 8 foot plus sturdy as tree branch/gate etc to get a decent vertical pulldown going as I've found the tube seems more accustomed to being stretched out via pulling movements rather than pressing movements. But that's just my judgement, could be different with different tube sizes, different strength levels etc.

However

Strapping the tube around a sturdy table/pole/couch leg then doing lying overhead lat squeezes was easily the best exercise I've done so far with the tube, absolutely perfect contractions going and I had to do them nice, slow and controlled plus I did not have my bis chipping in compared to the tube rows where I felt a better contraction on the bis compared to on the rhomboids/traps etc as I'm not used to very very slow contractions for rows, which the bands are moreso meant for. Tried both close grip and pronated wide grip on the tube rows to get a better back contraction and still felt them bis working moreso than that shoulder blade area :(

Did 3x12 + 1x10 and that was enough for me today on the lat squeezes, they will feel even better when I'm more fatigued in a few weeks once I'm getting in volume through doing 25s/30s with one arm rows once my dumbbell delivery comes in...

GROTTO TheGermanator

Tried the door anchor to mimic lat pulldowns, but turned out to be nothing more than a slight high row, waste of time plus was a bit of a budge to open/shut the door imo

Really need a 8 foot plus sturdy as tree branch/gate etc to get a decent vertical pulldown going as I've found the tube seems more accustomed to being stretched out via pulling movements rather than pressing movements. But that's just my judgement, could be different with different tube sizes, different strength levels etc.

However

Strapping the tube around a sturdy table/pole/couch leg then doing lying overhead lat squeezes was easily the best exercise I've done so far with the tube, absolutely perfect contractions going and I had to do them nice, slow and controlled plus I did not have my bis chipping in compared to the tube rows where I felt a better contraction on the bis compared to on the rhomboids/traps etc as I'm not used to very very slow contractions for rows, which the bands are moreso meant for. Tried both close grip and pronated wide grip on the tube rows to get a better back contraction and still felt them bis working moreso than that shoulder blade area :(

Did 3x12 + 1x10 and that was enough for me today on the lat squeezes, they will feel even better when I'm more fatigued in a few weeks once I'm getting in volume through doing 25s/30s with one arm rows once my dumbbell delivery comes in...

I found doing pull downs at home with tubes, having 3 tubes together for the first set 6-10 reps, let go of one tube then do another 6-10 with 2 tubes and then finish off the last set with 1 tube.

Completely agree about where you “anchor” the bands from, at my home I have a set off brick steps that around 2m from ground level. I can “anchor” the bands from the handrail

Another point for home work outs I’m glad daylight savings are over so there is some light when working outside in the morning before work

I’ve recently renovated my backyard and have some decent sized rocks in there, I thought about going strongman style picking them up moving them from point A to point B, repeat a few times. Workout done.

Had a brainwave today when I was filling up my sons sandpit, you can get 20kg bags of sand for $7 each at Bunnings if you want some cheap weights.

GROTTO TheGermanator

However

Got DOMS today in the bicep and rear delt/rhomboid/lat area so i did something right yesterday at least

Got DOMS today in the bicep and rear delt/rhomboid/lat area so i did something right yesterday at least

Not the definitive sign but its promising. You still could have done something right without DOMS.

I will answer your earlier post over the next few days, just had a mini break from working out.

Had a brainwave today when I was filling up my sons sandpit, you can get 20kg bags of sand for $7 each at Bunnings if you want some cheap weights.

Until the bags split and you have sand all over your yard.

Until the bags split and you have sand all over your yard.
A better alternative?

25L Water container.

At the end of quarantine, at least you can use it still. :$

BCF_374245-00_hi-res.jpg

A better alternative?

25L Water container.

At the end of quarantine, at least you can use it still. :$

BCF_374245-00_hi-res.jpg

And water the garden as you go....

The downside to sand bags they can spit easily, but they are a mother f$%ker trying to handle because they weight shifts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Day 21

Back to standard leg DOMS today then, having had mega DOMS last week which threw my training week out 2 extra days. Standard quads and a little in the glutes.

Just walked for an hour, first half hour was a struggle but got into my zone and last 2kms in particular was a breeze, hopefully I'll be loose enough for back tomorrow night.

What everyone doing for leg days? I can't squat or DL with my setup, so I've been doing deeply squats, SLDL/RDL, and walking lunges. I'd be keen to add another hammy exercise in but equipment is limited; only have a bench and adjustable dumbbells.

It's doing SLDL and RDL on the same day overkill? Just thinking of the 3 exercises in doing is enough, even though it smashes me.

What everyone doing for leg days? I can't squat or DL with my setup, so I've been doing deeply squats, SLDL/RDL, and walking lunges. I'd be keen to add another hammy exercise in but equipment is limited; only have a bench and adjustable dumbbells.

It's doing SLDL and RDL on the same day overkill? Just thinking of the 3 exercises in doing is enough, even though it smashes me.
Super slow lunges. Dumbbell jump squats. Single leg seated calf raises with a bar on my knees. Have tried standing calf raises but not feeling overly effective. Might get the misses to help me with donkeys. Pretty light on really.
Might try restricted blood flow training as suggested by another poster elsewhere.

Leg work ATM for me is:

One lower body day is Jumps, DB Front Squats, Pistol Squats, DB RDL's, DB Hip thrusts, DB standing calf raises, finishing off with half a dozen 20 metre sprints.
Second lower body day for the week is Jumps, DB Power cleans, DB Deadlifts, DB RDL's and DB Frog pumps.
Some 5 x 40 metre sprints on another day.

Can't go as heavy obviously for the Front Squats, Deadlifts or Hip thrusts so going higher reps (working up to 5x12 with 25kg DB's for the front squats and deadlifts, adding a rep each week, started 5 x 5, 5 x 8 the week just done). Won't keep all my strength, but managing to keep my body reverting to it's natural non-workout 'You're a skinny weed Harry!' state so far.

Last edited:
Leg work ATM for me is:

One lower body day is Jumps, DB Front Squats, Pistol Squats, DB RDL's, DB Hip thrusts, DB standing calf raises, finishing off with half a dozen 20 metre sprints.
Second lower body day for the week is Jumps, DB Power cleans, DB Deadlifts, DB RDL's and DB Frog pumps.
Some 5 x 40 metre sprints on another day.

Can't go as heavy obviously for the Front Squats, Deadlifts or Hip thrusts so going higher reps (working up to 5x12 with 25kg DB's for the front squats and deadlifts, adding a rep each week, started 5 x 5, 5 x 8 the week just done). Won't keep all my strength, but managing to keep my body reverting to it's natural non-workout 'You're a skinny weed Harry!' state so far.
Yeah nice. Might try the DB front squats actually. How many kgs do you do for normal BB squat? Just thinking what I would do for them.

Smashed out Split squats, Barbell SLDL, walking lunges, barbell RDL. BB only weighs around 7.5 but it holds good weight.

Picked up a bench, the BB and 50kg of plates for $100. Already had quite a few plates and the DBs but they are adjustable, not sure what they weigh. Have plenty of plates and can microload to the max as I have 1.25, 1.5, 2.5 plates.

Last edited:
HIIT sessions are proving to be a killer. Did my 5x exercise yesterday and broke it up with a 400m run between each repeat of 5 exercises, felt like i spent most of the day recovering and I slept in this morning for the first time in weeks. Finishing off with a couple of sets of jump squats really finished me off.

Yeah nice. Might try the DB front squats actually. How many kgs do you do for normal BB squat? Just thinking what I would do for them.

Smashed out Split squats, Barbell SLDL, walking lunges, barbell RDL. BB only weighs around 7.5 but it holds good weight.

Picked up a bench, the BB and 50kg of plates for $100. Already had quite a few plates and the DBs but they are adjustable, not sure what they weigh. Have plenty of plates and can microload to the max as I have 1.25, 1.5, 2.5 plates.
Normally I do Front Squats (due to a bulging disc, back squats over 60kg would have me at the physio). 1RPM is 120kg (even working out regularly for years, I've attained a state of lean, will never be that big and muscular, not that I really mind). Doing the Front Squat / Back squat ratio of it should be 85% that'd be around 140kg as back squat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back