Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

I
How many intervals would you increase to? I was thinking of doing that, and increasing the resistance dial. I'd scale back the number of intervals if I did longer sprints and shorter rest. Maybe work up to 40-second sprints and 20 seconds rest for sets. That sounds... brutal.
If you keep it at 20 seconds you could probably get to about 12 intervals. Keep the rest period at or higher than the work period. If you get to 12 then increase the resistance but keep the RPMs steady.
If you go to a 40 sec work period, 8-10 would be enough. Might need to drop the resistance a bit.

I

If you keep it at 20 seconds you could probably get to about 12 intervals. Keep the rest period at or higher than the work period. If you get to 12 then increase the resistance but keep the RPMs steady.
If you go to a 40 sec work period, 8-10 would be enough. Might need to drop the resistance a bit.
Thanks, mate, appreciate it.

I tried a circuit last week, a cycle of a light compound movement (deadlift, push press, thrusters, front squat, all 10 reps each except DLs 20 reps), and each movement is followed by 10 reps of burpees and air squats. You rest 1-2 minutes before each set of the three exercises, and you do as many cycles as you can for 30 minutes. The site I got the template from said to aim for 3 but I got 1.5 complete, it just smoked me. And that's when I realised my conditioning needs to improve and 30-40 minutes of low to moderate intensity biking won't cut it.

Yeah your sleep cycles seem wild, you post at some crazy hours. What do you do for work?

I think you love the details and get right into the weeds of it all which is great for most of your endeavours but might be over complicating things for dropping weight. Eat less, eat whole foods, high protein and move more. You might have to reframe your training goals for a while, go super light and target mobility or something, accept that you won't be feeling as awesome as when on high calories. Make sure it's something sustainable or as soon as you stop it'll come right back so don't undertake a crazy cardio routine you can't wait to finish. There's a lot to be said about the incidental exercise, I've forgotten the clever acronym but park farther away, take the stairs, all that kinda crap and a quick walk after every meal and all the movement ads up.
I've accepted hypertrophy will be my bread and butter strength training for a while, at least I had a good strength base last year as a platform to build from

Yeah I've heard some famous dude walks like 10-15 minutes after every meal, apparently worked well or him

I'm a student in the community sector with an unhealthy passion for wogball, though covid regulations have screwed me up, particularly with high daily cases and spotfires happening everywhere and students get basically treated the same as volunteers, so we're bottom of the barrel in terms of priority to operations. So in limbo at the moment over the holidays, dunno when I can resume but I've nearly finished, so taking the advantage to address my health best I can while I've got the time. I used to work hospitality for a while though, so that's where some of my bad sleeping habits developed I'd say.

I also got sucked into the whole become a PT phase around 2010-11 when I was 22 about a year before my L4-5 got pushed out of place, had a couple of female clients that I'd train mainly HIIT at the local park every Friday morning, but gave that up once the back got really bad, but yeah, always loved fitness but I've learnt more watching a couple hundred hours of fitness YouTube over the last 2 years than I ever did in the classroom or at the gym from the gym brahs, just one big money making scam imo these finish in 8-10 weeks cert 3s/4s, only the basics are taught with nothing in proper detail, everything just glossed over. Programming and exercise selection in particular is where these courses really suck bigtime in, they'd prefer to train everyone the same way, full body, 1-3 times a week, no real compromises based on experience levels/fitness levels/age etc.

Missed 250kg in the gym last night, messed up positioning and just couldn’t finish the rep - was about an inch from locking it out. I was pulling backwards and pushing knees out when should have just been pushing through the mid-foot. Strength is there as I hit it a few weeks back but just wasn’t there yesterday. Comp in a week, will get it back then!

I started a new program Monday after trailing off stronglifts over the break. Ended with 2 sets of 40 body weight calf raises. Sounded simple, figured my calves would be in fair shape from frequent mountain biking, oh how wrong I was. My legs were useless for three days. What a wuss.

I've mostly been doing these bodyweight circuits and bike interval training during these last few weeks of my hectic life. But today I got back into my strength/hypertrophy full-body groove. I've got this app called Strong which enables me to create a few templates of my own for free and log my work and set rest times. I've created two and did one today, I plan on alternating them.

I did 1x8 DL (back), 3x8 T-Bar rows (back), 3x8 Overhead Press (shoulders), 3x8 Bulgarian split squats (legs), 3x8 Skullcrushers (arms), 3x push ups AMRAP (chest), 3x planks (core). Did it in 57 minutes, was sweating like a priest in preschool.

Last edited:
Got some heavy bench press programmed for tomorrow morning, gonna give this narrower grip (like slightly wider than shoulder width) a shot

Bench went ok this morning, I'm still rebuilding strength so I don't have a great basis for comparison, will persist with the narrower grip for now and see how I go

Competed again yesterday, added 10kg to my total in 3 weeks.

Squatted 180kg
Benched 115kg - this is just never gonna improve I’m sure of it.
Deadlifted 255kg. Loving deadlifts and squats lately, not rating the bench work.

Squatted 180kg
Deadlifted 255kg. Loving deadlifts and squats lately, not rating the bench work.
Beast! Big numbers, kudos

Squatted 180kg
Wow, awesome numbers there mate. What's your bodyweight if you don't mind me asking?

Wow, awesome numbers there mate. What's your bodyweight if you don't mind me asking?
I think I weighed in at 118.4 yesterday for comp.

Cutting to 105 now before I compete again. Big off season time!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I weighed in at 118.4 yesterday for comp.

Cutting to 105 now before I compete again. Big off season time!
Awesome results man, really good work.

good luck on the cut, take a nice and steady so you don't lose any of those sweet gains

I'm thinking about entering a novice powerlifting comp in April, haven't signed up yet, I'll see how many training progresses

I'm looking for feedback on my new program. I really like it, long-term, because I like simple, linear progression, and I can complete these in about 60 minutes, and they're full body.

I made two templates, A and B, and I alternate, aiming for 3x a week. On 3 off-days I do HIIT bike and four sets of 15-20 calf raises. One rest day.

I created the templates on Strong app, so the categories are based on what their classifications are.

Do I have enough volume?

I haven't hit intermediate yet on most of these lifts except for Zercher squats. I've put in bold what numbers I was thinking of switching to when I hit intermediate/advanced for each lift.

A

Zercher (legs), 3x 8-10 (increase after hitting 3x10) (4x 6-8)
Incline Press (chest) 3x 8-12 (and so on) (4x 6-10)
Barbell Row (back) 3x 8-10 (4x 8-12)
Lat Raises (shoulders) 3x 8-12 (keep same)
1x Lying Leg Raise (core) <50 reps (keep same)
Bicep Curls (arms) 3x 8-12 (keep same)
Romanian deadlift (back) 3x 8-12 (keep same)

B

Deadlift (back) 2x 8-10 (3x 3-6)
T-Bar Row (back) 3x 8-12 (4x 8-12)
Overhead Press (shoulder) 3x 6-10 (keep same)
Bulgarian split squat (leg) 3x 8-10 (4x 6-10)
Skullcrusher (arms) 3x 8-12 (keep same)
Push Ups (chest) 3x AMRAP 1 minute rest (4x)
Plank (core) 3x, work up to 1 five minute plank

Looking for advice on rounds of back, chest and triceps.with core

Rep range is 12 for lifts, 10 for exploaive exercises

Minimal rest between exercises 30 to 45 seconds between rounds.

Back

Wg pull ups. Im limited to 9 atm/commando pulls
Leg raises/situps/etc
Rope sled pull for power
45 second plank

Bench press
Ball presses for power
Triceps
Grip

Trying to find balance for speed, power and musccular endurance. I am only interested in top end strength for grip at vthis stage.

You really dont need much space to get "some exercise" in and either get newbie gains or maintain gains, but to go into intermediate/advance stage you definitely need space.

Joining in winter is not bad actually, less people motivated to go. Just make sure you begin youre winter early.
Just want some sort of basic rack and a bench.

Going to the gym first and then deciding what I want if I'd still prefer to get something at home is the the go I think.

One think I'll say is that I 100% guarantee it will get used regularly.

Going to the gym first and then deciding what I want if I'd still prefer to get something at home is the the go I think.

Even if it at a min its twice a week, it will be worth it.

When its set up at home, its easy to find that 30-45 min quick session in.

My home set up is pretty basic.

Bench, Chin Up bar, Dip bar unit
Adjustable (22kgs max) Dumbells
Bar with a couple of random plates
Skipping rope
Heavy bag
Rower
Couple of Kettlebells

Never been happier than i am with the home gym.

My home set up is pretty basic.

Bench, Chin Up bar, Dip bar unit
Adjustable (22kgs max) Dumbells
Bar with a couple of random plates
Skipping rope
Heavy bag
Rower
Couple of Kettlebells

Never been happier than i am with the home gym.
mindset is the killer for me. if i am at the gym, then i am at the gym to work out and i dont * around.
if i am at home then there's a lot less intent, i look at my phone and answer emails or end up playing with my dog between sets

the odd workout at home is nice but i cant do it all the time unfortunately

mindset is the killer for me. if i am at the gym, then i am at the gym to work out and i dont fu** around.
if i am at home then there's a lot less intent, i look at my phone and answer emails or end up playing with my dog between sets

the odd workout at home is nice but i cant do it all the time unfortunately
Thats fair. I have the same gym mindset as you (ive often spoken about the long term investment in big * off over ear headphones so no one bothers you at the gym).

I got myself a little timer and do everything to a set time now, i do have a 7 month old so i dont wanna be in the gym for any longer than i have to be (would much rather spend time with him).

How do you progressively overload a weighted situp given that there must be a limit to how much you can really hold to do the exercise? I mean, at most, you could what, hold a 50kg dumbbell or two 25kg plates at the ultra-advanced level? So, at that point, you just do the same number of sets and reps?

How do you progressively overload a weighted situp given that there must be a limit to how much you can really hold to do the exercise? I mean, at most, you could what, hold a 50kg dumbbell or two 25kg plates at the ultra-advanced level? So, at that point, you just do the same number of sets and reps?
Anyone who can do sit-ups with a 50kg plate for decent reps probably knows the answer anyway.

Anyone who can do sit-ups with a 50kg plate for decent reps probably knows the answer anyway.
Anything beyond a 20 plate unrealistic?

I'm not sure how you progress abs; for instance, Wendler recommends 25-50 core reps so if you can get to 50 hanging leg raises or whatever it is you're doing you just keep doing that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back