Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

Still not sure why people get narky about Ned being aggressive, you need that player in your team, it doesn't matter that he gives away a free kick or two, everyone on the opposition team knows he will hurt you if he can.

I remember the Tigers back in the 80s, highly skilled, great team but no nutter, so we went and got Alan Stringer, sure he gave away a few free kicks ( looked mighty surprised when he got pinged as well...remember a game, i think against Norwood where he read the tap from the centre square, took 2 bounces, went off his line to elbow a defender in the face and smoked it from 50 out, straight through the middle. It was one of the better highlights of the season...and we won the flag that year) but you know what, that defender covered space next time, lesson painfully learned I guess.

He is like a Jack Russell, plenty of yap but will have a bite if needed.

Personally, I love a bit of niggle!!

Funny - was thinking this weekend that he's like that scruffy little mutt that came from the pound. Not pretty, but all heart and enthusiasm - cant help but love the little guy.

Yeah, he kind of reminds me of Hayden Ballantyne - that small forward who just annoys the sh*t out of opposition player and supporters alike. The kind of player who is loved by his own supporters, and absolutely despised by everybody else :D

Yeah, he kind of reminds me of Hayden Ballantyne - that small forward who just annoys the sh*t out of opposition player and supporters alike. The kind of player who is loved by his own supporters, and absolutely despised by everybody else :D

You are correct, but not original.
Ballantyne was widely touted as his draft comparator at the time! ;)

Toby Greene was touted as Pedlar's comparator, so we'll see whether we agree in due course.

Just looking through the 2018 draft, with a few exceptions right at the top or thereabouts (Walsh, Lukosius, King(s), Smith, Rozee and Butters) it's pretty underwhelming three years in as a whole.

Once you get past the first round and a half it starts looking really dire, only Koschitzke, Hind and Sholl really jump out as having made an impact. Rookie draft also pretty dire with only Aarts and Butts striking me as having made an impact.

actually disagree. Most drafts really suck, and the first round has a less than 50% hit rate in most years. Heck the complete flame out, bust rate of the first round must be 40-50%

so in 2018 there were more successes than usual. But only because usual is less good than we imagine

the first round and a half is stellar

I just wish we had a strategy that ran a deeper midfield so guys like Ned had the opportunity to be more influential. But we'd rather see 3 mids get it 35 times each with their ho hum delivery and decision making than get some different dynamic in there. Maybe next year the shallow midfield strategy will finally be shelved.

I think Ned is progressing very well. Not too flash in his earlier games, but now seems to be more focused and learning better when to attack the ball and when to niggle his man. Underlying his terrier approach, he actually has some nice skills and speed. If he can take it to another level then likely to be a regular 22 without doubt.

I was thinking the same thing - he played 21 games this year, and I think missed one with concussion sustained against Port in that Lycett tackle? If you play 21 games for the year, you're either best 22 or David Mackay :p
Oh no, are you saying Dmac is still on the list?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just wish we had a strategy that ran a deeper midfield so guys like Ned had the opportunity to be more influential. But we'd rather see 3 mids get it 35 times each with their ho hum delivery and decision making than get some different dynamic in there. Maybe next year the shallow midfield strategy will finally be shelved.

Agreed, not sure if I see him as a permanent midfielder or more as someone who you chuck in there every now and then, but I think his ability to work in traffic, disposal, decision making and manic pressure could add a dimension to our midfield we currently don’t have. Has also shown consistent improvement since he’s been in the side and seems like a great character too.

Probably my only issue with Nicks is this, I really hope that Berry, Pedlar, McHenry, Cook etc. get an extended crack at having a run in the midfield.

I thought McHenry improved immeasurably over the last few games. He's covering ground well and increasingly getting himself to the right places, and being unmarked while there. Definitely should have cemented his best 22 spot for next season at the very least.

Conceded a couple of free kicks early on the weekend to guarantee whatever novelty prize he gets for conceding the most frees against, but then got down to the business of playing football.

Still not sure why people get narky about Ned being aggressive, you need that player in your team, it doesn't matter that he gives away a free kick or two, everyone on the opposition team knows he will hurt you if he can.
He gives away more than "a free kick or two". But the big problem is how many he gives away pointlessly, after arriving to a contest after its already lost, etc. And he doesn't really offer many positives from his presence at the contests he's giving these free kicks away at. He's not even really picking up any sneaky frees for from opponent retaliation.

Schoenberg's free kick differential (16 FF/32 FA) is theoretically worse than McHenry's (21/37), but nobody really worries about that because he is actually contributing in the areas where he is conceding free kicks.

I think if the biggest knock on a young player who plays with high energy is that he gives away cheap frees we’re going pretty well.

s**t Dayne Zorko is 33 and still doing it but Id love to have him.

I thought McHenry improved immeasurably over the last few games. He's covering ground well and increasingly getting himself to the right places, and being unmarked while there. Definitely should have cemented his best 22 spot for next season at the very least.

Conceded a couple of free kicks early on the weekend to guarantee whatever novelty prize he gets for conceding the most frees against, but then got down to the business of playing football.

He gives away more than "a free kick or two". But the big problem is how many he gives away pointlessly, after arriving to a contest after its already lost, etc. And he doesn't really offer many positives from his presence at the contests he's giving these free kicks away at. He's not even really picking up any sneaky frees for from opponent retaliation.

Schoenberg's free kick differential (16 FF/32 FA) is theoretically worse than McHenry's (21/37), but nobody really worries about that because he is actually contributing in the areas where he is conceding free kicks.

His average FA stat is 1.69 for his career. That is literally, "a free kick or two"

I think with Ned, you have to take the good with the bad, and with time, the stupid, frustrating stuff will be a distant memory as he gains more experience.

His improvement this year has been awesome to see, and I think there may be some egg on people's faces as time goes on.

I am unashamedly a big fan and can't wait to see how he progresses next year with another preseason in the gym.

Neddy is already best 22, who have you been watching Doc?
I said regular 22, as in implying long-term career with the Crows for a decade (hopefully).
"Best 22" in 2021 can be pushed out for next season. And I think he will remain best 22 for a fair while. Doc.

I remember the Tigers back in the 80s, highly skilled, great team but no nutter, so we went and got Alan Stringer, sure he gave away a few free kicks ( looked mighty surprised when he got pinged as well...remember a game, i think against Norwood where he read the tap from the centre square, took 2 bounces, went off his line to elbow a defender in the face and smoked it from 50 out, straight through the middle. It was one of the better highlights of the season...and we won the flag that year) but you know what, that defender covered space next time, lesson painfully learned I guess.

Are there actually people who exist who do not like that?

Are there actually people who exist who do not like that?

There are people who get upset at McHenry giving away unnecessary free kicks, certainly. He's gotten much better with this as the season has gone on though. Earlier in the year it seemed like he was doing it several times a game. Now it's usually maybe once a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back