Player Watch Lachy Keeffe (Delisted 2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a big spud.

I'm a blond bimbo girl, in a fantasy world
Dress me up, make it tight, I'm your dolly
You're my doll, rock'n'roll, feel the glamor in pink
Kiss me here, touch me there, hanky panky
You can touch
you can play
if you say "I'm always yours"

Yep, finally found something more inane than the lyrics to "Barbie Girl". You rock.

He has officially been promoted to the senior list, which would indicate the club think he will be part of our 2017 plans.
never said he was not part of the long term plans in 2017, just find the short term expectations in keeffe hard to under stand
given the lay off he has had, and he was struggling a bit when he last played the game. they are putting to much pressure on him early.
hope l am wrong though.

never said he was not part of the long term plans in 2017, just find the short term expectations in keeffe hard to under stand
given the lay off he has had, and he was struggling a bit when he last played the game. they are putting to much pressure on him early.
hope l am wrong though.

I think it comes down to how he has spent the time away, and how much contact the club has had with him over that time (especially the last 6 months).
I reckon it is safe to assume that the club has had a lot more contact (in one way or another) with these 2 than technically allowed, and that probably included some guidance/plans for fitness/conditioning etc.
And for the club to retain Thomas, and promote Keefe, well before either is allowed back at the club, hopefully means Hine has been happy with what he has seen. (or conversely it just means we are lacking in KPD's and were gonna fall short of the minimum list numbers without promoting Keefe).

As for expectations - I am certain Keefe wont be in the 22 for round 1. But I also reckon he will be safe for at least 5-10 games next year, probably more if he is good enough to just be an adequate KPD. (and the bar won't be particularly high to be better than Dunn). How well he does will really come down to how he has spent the time off, what physical condition he's in to start pre-season, and if he is up to getting straight into getting full time match fitness from NAB Cup round 1.

I think it comes down to how he has spent the time away, and how much contact the club has had with him over that time (especially the last 6 months).
I reckon it is safe to assume that the club has had a lot more contact (in one way or another) with these 2 than technically allowed, and that probably included some guidance/plans for fitness/conditioning etc.
And for the club to retain Thomas, and promote Keefe, well before either is allowed back at the club, hopefully means Hine has been happy with what he has seen. (or conversely it just means we are lacking in KPD's and were gonna fall short of the minimum list numbers without promoting Keefe).

As for expectations - I am certain Keefe wont be in the 22 for round 1. But I also reckon he will be safe for at least 5-10 games next year, probably more if he is good enough to just be an adequate KPD. (and the bar won't be particularly high to be better than Dunn). How well he does will really come down to how he has spent the time off, what physical condition he's in to start pre-season, and if he is up to getting straight into getting full time match fitness from NAB Cup round 1.
it is not really the start of the season l am worried about. my personal view of keeffe is he goes ok, and would
like to see him in marshes spot as the third tall.
my main worry is the second half of the season where the two years out will start to show in his match fitness.
no matter how much training he does will not be the same as being at the club and match fitness that
he has missed out on. marty clarke admitt that in the time he was away, the game had quicken up
that it had struggled to get back.
would have like the club to ease him in build his base fitness and match day play before throwing him
into the deep end. thats all

The pics I saw of their training regimen while out of the game looked pretty solid

raw

hope l am wrong though.

We can only assume that he is returning in peak condition. If this is the case there is no reason why he can't be in the frame for round one.

I reckon he was coming along before he got banned, you guys have weird memories.

My memory is that he was doing so badly in the backline that the club moved him to the forward line in the off-season

My memory is that he was doing so badly in the backline that the club moved him to the forward line in the off-season

Possibly selective memory. I'm sure it's not nearly as simplistic as that.

I think he will be mainly a defender but he certainly has the agility and skill to play forward as well. Just because the experiment failed the first time doesn't mean it can't or won't be tried again.

I expect keeffe and Dunn to play about 30 games between them . Assuming Reid plays 22 I see keeffe playing 20 and Dunn 10.

All three of them can be swung forward, unlike brown frost and to a lesser extent marsh. Will be interesting to see how much time any of them spend at the other end of the ground to help cover the loss of Cloke.

Howe is the other player who could be freed up to play nearer goals

Last edited:
Keeffe is like a (more) flawed version of Josh Fraser. IMO he's too tall and lumbering to play as a modern defender but lacks the mongrel and combativeness to play in ruck. Has the turning circle of a battleship, too. Is beaten the moment the ball hits the ground or goes over his head. Has never shown anything as a forward, so I struggle to see any AFL-level role for him in which he is not a liability. Will be very happy to be proven wrong!

Keeffe is like a (more) flawed version of Josh Fraser. IMO he's too tall and lumbering to play as a modern defender but lacks the mongrel and combativeness to play in ruck. Has the turning circle of a battleship, too. Is beaten the moment the ball hits the ground or goes over his head. Has never shown anything as a forward, so I struggle to see any AFL-level role for him in which he is not a liability. Will be very happy to be proven wrong!

You're underselling josh a bit there. Was a very good player for us but was never played in his rightful position which was as a goal kicking second ruck. Destroyed by Malthouse and eventually his knees packed it in from too much time in the ruck against bigger opponents

Not really comparable to keeffe in any way as Lachie is basically a defender and a possible pinch hitter as a forward or a ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect keeffe and Dunn to play about 30 games between them . Assuming Reid plays 22 I see keeffe playing 20 and Dunn 10.

All three of them can be swung forward, unlike brown frost and to a lesser extent marsh. Will be interesting to see how much time any of them spend at the other end of the ground to help cover the loss of Cloke.

Howe is the other player who could be freed up to play nearer goals
Contingency plans are already in place to cover the loss of Cloke...
unnamed.png

You're underselling josh a bit there. Was a very good player for us but was never played in his rightful position which was as a goal kicking second ruck. Destroyed by Malthouse and eventually his knees packed it in from too much time in the ruck against bigger opponents

Not really comparable to keeffe in any way as Lachie is basically a defender and a possible pinch hitter as a forward or a ruck.
You're right, I was being too harsh on Fraser in that comparison. Doesn't alter my opinion of Keeffe though!

Cox is superior in every single way as a Forward/Back Up ruck. Keeffe plays as a KPD or nowhere, barring significant injury, in my view.

I also think Dunn will be comfortably ahead of him for round 1. I think Dunn will surprise a few before Keeffe does.

Think the bolded is the key qualification to bear in mind. When he last played, he didn't have anything like the tank to play in the ruck and was destroyed by halfway through the game. Is he likely to be substantially fitter now after two years out of the game?

He's tank is fine, from memory he does quite well in time trials. He can't play ruck because he's a s**t ruck.

Cant wait to see pics of how fit or unfit these 2 are
I would be surprised if they didn't turn up in the best possible shape, these two guys should have lost it all, they have a chance to payback the faith shown in them. I would be leaving nothing on the tee.

I believe both will struggle early and they will be longer term prospects in the season. Could be wrong.

I rated Keeffe before he was suspended, happy to back him in love how accurate of a kick he is, one of the better kicks in our team.

Most of us realise that Keeffe's future lies neither in the ruck nor on the forward line. Exposed form in those areas is not good. If he is going to resurrect his career, it will be as a backman. He can play any of the 3 tall backman roles. My worry is that he was a latecomer to he game, and was still learning it when suspended. That 2 years has been lost.
His contested marking was only OK, but his kicking was really good, as was his evasiveness when exiting traffic with the ball. I liked the fact that he took his time in disposing of the ball, looking for a real option upfield rather than hacking it out unless the pressure was dire. This saw him get caught occasionally, but this is a penalty players who have a look pay. Even Pendlebury gets snagged occasionally.
The club has taken a chance here, but given the low level of the efforts to retain Brown, you would have to say that the risk was calculated. We can only wait and see whether the calculations were accurate.

Don't worry, my surname isn't Malthouse :)

Haha, true.

Seriously though, Moore has been kind of fragile so far as it is, so making him ruck would literally break him I reckon. That's no comment on his heart or endeavour, either.

Diverting the conversation somewhat I know, but not senior listing Cox does leave our ruck options pretty thin to start the year. I assume we'll be picking up a veteran ruck at some stage. Would Jack Fitzpatrick be worth a shot as a back-up option?

I never rated Keefe personally, however it will be more interesting to see what his mental and phsycological state will be after a 2 year lay off?
You would at the very least expect him to be in prime physical condition, obviously excluding match day fitness.
He knows he is on his last chance, and you would hope at the very least he would try and at least ad something on his armoury that he was lacking 2 years ago such as more physical presence and more mongrul,contested marks?
All this will depend in my opinion on his mental state!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back