Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

The missing piece!
Nope. We have been bombing it to the "missing piece" for the last four years without much success. Now that the "'missing piece" is actually missing, at least we have Finlayson as insurance. Our pre-season match practice can now feature how to use his strengths, instead of the annual "Bomb it to Charlie" practice sessions!

Nope. We have been bombing it to the "missing piece" for the last four years without much success. Now that the "'missing piece" is actually missing, at least we have Finlayson as insurance. Our pre-season match practice can now feature how to use his strengths, instead of the annual "Bomb it to Charlie" practice sessions!
In before we bomb it on Finlayson's head, so the team can still play to the same gameplan whilst Dixon is injured.

Odd comment!

At this point in time the entire season is a bunch of "ifs" ... Every single player is an "if."

The fact is, that at this point, with a question mark over Charlie, just having him has proved to be a fantastic insurance move.
He was a serviceable player, no a good/great/awesome player. Expecting a 26 year old to raise additional gears at his age and change dramatically I believe is unrealistic

And Finlayson showed a hell of a lot more at GWS than Schulz ever did at the Tigers.
Schulz needed to be the number one target IIRC. He couldn’t play behind Richardson or Tredrea and showed a lot more when he was the main target. I’m guessing this is why he was tried in defence at Richmond but I don’t know for sure.

I do have confidence that our recruiting team know what role Finlayson will play. So I guess we just have to see how he meshes with the rest of the forwards, and what connection he develops with midfielders. I believe players can look completely different depending on the players/coaches around them, as well as just pure form changes.

I find it difficult to see how Finlayson fits into our forward line tbh, but I know we’ve been into him for a while and I suspect there is a good reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was a serviceable player, no a good/great/awesome player. Expecting a 26 year old to raise additional gears at his age and change dramatically I believe is unrealistic

Whilst I am all for being cautious with expectations, I think this is pessimistic.

• To be pedantic, he turns 26 on 9th Feb.
  • He has only been playing as a forward for 3 seasons. In that time he has averaged 1.7 goals a game.
  • In 2019 he was the 8th leading goalkicker with 44 goals and 5th for goal assists in the league.

So there is definitely something there to work with.

At an age where others players have significantly developed their game with or without a change of club (Schultz, Allir, Wines) and as a player who is still developing as a mature bodied ruck there is no reason not to hope Finlayson will prove to be more than serviceable over the next 5 years or so. Even if he is able to maintain his averages as a forward over the last 3 seasons he will have been a valuable pickup for us. Our challenge is to implement a gameplan that allows him to use his strengths without trying to do a Ryder and make him something he is unlikely to be (basically a contested marking beast).

My thought is that finlaysons style goes against how Hinkley has port playing and I can’t see finlayson having the success here he’s had at gws if he tries to play the same way.

Finlayson has been a lead and mark forward leading into space inside the forward 50.

That’s not going to happen at port unless Hinkley does some crazy about face.

Having said that plenty of players have transformed themselves at other clubs and port has some history at getting better out of some players, so I won’t be terribly surprised if finlayson shows more here due to developing sides of his game we didn’t see at gws.

But yeah if finlayson tries to play the same way he did at gws he will get less than half the return.

In the end having 4 genuine afl quality kfs we can field is a good thing.

There was a part on the TV Show "Show Me The Money" (about drafting/trading with player agents) about Finlayson wanting to come back to SA for family reasons, it was either Port or GWS for him. GWS also rated Jake Riccardi ahead of him.

Finlayson was doing some fishing at Port Lincoln, and was on the phone with his agent setting up a meeting with the leadership group. After the meeting, Cripps was on the phone with the agent saying we are happy to trade for him, but he's not a high priority, so we don't want to offer much for him in terms of picks, but were happy to take on his contract length (2 years and whatever his contract value is). Maybe add another year on top of that. The agent was asking for incentives on the contract if he plays 14-15 games a year.

Then the agent rang Finlayson who was on his boat catching about 150 scallops. After that the GWS list manager rang the agent and said they don't want to drag it out and a future 3rd rounder should be enough. When the deal got done, Finlayson was almost in tears that he was coming home.

There was a part on the TV Show "Show Me The Money" (about drafting/trading with player agents) about Finlayson wanting to come back to SA for family reasons, it was either Port or GWS for him. GWS also rated Jake Riccardi ahead of him.

Finlayson was doing some fishing at Port Lincoln, and was on the phone with his agent setting up a meeting with the leadership group. After the meeting, Cripps was on the phone with the agent saying we are happy to trade for him, but he's not a high priority, so we don't want to offer much for him in terms of picks, but were happy to take on his contract length (2 years and whatever his contract value is). Maybe add another year on top of that. The agent was asking for incentives on the contract if he plays 14-15 games a year.

Then the agent rang Finlayson who was on his boat catching about 150 scallops. After that the GWS list manager rang the agent and said they don't want to drag it out and a future 3rd rounder should be enough. When the deal got done, Finlayson was almost in tears that he was coming home.

SA isn't (wasn't) his home - it's his wife who's from SA - Jeremy was born, grew up in, and started his footy career in NSW. Maybe the emotion he showed was related to her health predicament, which was the reason they waned to come to SA for her to be nearer her family.

Was such a great insight into what happens to get deals done.
Basically paying 2 yrs get 1 free lol was hoping they would show the lahdams and Dawson deals but I've just watched the 2nd episode and think the 3rd will be about the draft.

I might have to renew my Stan subscription to watch this.

Was such a great insight into what happens to get deals done.
Basically paying 2 yrs get 1 free lol was hoping they would show the lahdams and Dawson deals but I've just watched the 2nd episode and think the 3rd will be about the draft.
Wait
It's only 3 episodes

I love how GWS do these quick deals, presumably because they know they will always have their Academy available to replace their player stocks who move on.

Finlayson has had a slow start to the season but I still think it's a good signing. Despite being 196cm, Finlayson is not a good contested marking threat. At GWS when he played deep he used his smarts and athleticism to find space inside 50. He hasn't had that opportunity at Port because of the way our forward line is structured. I'd be selecting Finlayson over Marshall, especially once Dixon returns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back