Senior 27. Marc Pittonet

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pittonet is a great get for Carlton. McEvoy’s aerobic capacity, while a great attribute, has made life difficult for Hawthorn’s other ruckmen in that it’s hard to justify a second ruck on gameday.

This means both Ceglar and Pittonet are under-exposed and under-rated; it was obvious that at least one would need to leave for their own career’s sake. Because they were under-rated externally, it was clear Hawthorn would get poor returns for either, so they chose not to lose Ceglar who has proven himself at AFL level.

There’s no way Hawthorn were happy to lose Pittonet, especially for so little. He’s only 23-24 and has been close to if not the premier ruck at VFL level for a few years already, that’s very young to be doing so well even at that level. He is a strong Mumford-style ruckman, so you get the assurance that he will at least be aggressive and competitive even if he’s beaten on the day. He is probably average a winning taps, but when he does he has deft touch with wristwork.

His big issue is contested marking and an inability to be effective forward which means he’s inflexible and can only play as first choice ruck. I really think this guy will make it (and maybe his career trajectory will align well with Kreuzer finishing up) and said as much in an article I posted on the Roar website (same name).

Great recruiting in that Carlton recognised it was extenuating circumstances holding back Pittonet, not his ability or performances.

Pittonet is a great get for Carlton. McEvoy’s aerobic capacity, while a great attribute, has made life difficult for Hawthorn’s other ruckmen in that it’s hard to justify a second ruck on gameday. This means both Ceglar and Pittonet are under-exposed and under-rated; it was obvious that at least one would need to leave for their own career’s sake. Because they were under-rated externally, it was clear Hawthorn would get poor returns for either, so they chose not to lose Ceglar who has proven himself at AFL level. There’s no way Hawthorn were happy to lose Pittonet, especially for so little. He’s only 23-24 and has been close to if not the premier ruck at VFL level for a few years already, that’s very young to be doing so well even at that level. He is a strong Mumford-style ruckman, so you get the assurance that he will at least be aggressive and competitive even if he’s beaten on the day. He is probably average a winning taps, but when he does he has deft touch with wristwork. His big issue is contested marking and an inability to be effective forward which means he’s inflexible and can only play as first choice ruck. I really think this guy will make it (and maybe his career trajectory will align well with Kreuzer finishing up) and said as much in an article I posted on the Roar website (same name). Great recruiting in that Carlton recognised it was extenuating circumstances holding back Pittonet, not his ability or performances.

Appreciate you taking the time to come on our site and post that - Classy !!:thumbsu:

I like the idea of a ruckman who is happy to throw his size around a bit. I don't think Phillips was aggressive enough.

I can't think of too many aggressive rucks we've actually had recently, bar the Tractor. Even then he's more a fair player, but make no mistake, does bulldoze his way around.

The likes of Hammer, Phillips, Warnock etc certainly didn't strike fear into anyone.

I can't think of too many aggressive rucks we've actually had recently, bar the Tractor. Even then he's more a fair player, but make no mistake, does bulldoze his way around.

The likes of Hammer, Phillips, Warnock etc certainly didn't strike fear into anyone.

I still remember Wood dropping Selwood in a nice hard tackle

I haven’t seen much at all of him,so I’m not sure if Pittonet will make it or not but what I do like is that we now have 2 different types of developing ruckman behind Kruezer.

Pittonet being the more physical old fashion tap ruckman, compared to DeKoning the more mobile athletic forward type. Great setup moving forward and it will be interesting to see how both develop from here.

Welcome Marc.

Think SOS and co. a bit peeved that Phillips pulled the pin following all of the work put in to getting his soft tissue issues sorted. Multiple overseas trips and the advent of Jack Russell seemed to have turned it around, with a much more solid season after delays to his pre season.

Can't help but feel we have fallen on our feet though. Pittonet 5 years younger, still developing, but match ready and dominant at the lower level. Gives us a perfect list management progression. Kreuze with a year or two (outside chance of 3) to go. Young tyro TDK sure to be on the fast track to establish himself as numero uno. Pittonet provides genuine competition for TDK, which should bring oout the best in both. With Levi reportedly staying for a year or two, gives us
that fall back should injury curses hit.

Expecting a youngster to be drafted next year, many here are aware of who I allude to as the most likely target.

We are now set for an extended period.
Do we know which came first, Pittonet nominating us or Phillips wanting Essendon?

Do we know which came first, Pittonet nominating us or Phillips wanting Essendon?

I know people were speaking about Pittonet weeks before the media linked us to him.

I wouldn't be surprised if our intentions were to essentially replace Lobbe with Pittonet but Phillips saw the writing on the wall (with both the link to Pittonet and that he was only offered the one year) and jumped at the better offer than we had for him.

I wasn't a fan of Phillips but I don't entirely begrudge him jumping at a better opportunity. His career may have been over after next season otherwise.

Slight upgrade on Phillips, in that he is similarly lacking in consistent mobility, but has a significant size advantage that he can use around the ground.

With a good pre-season he could be a solid number 2 to Kreuzer.
I love your insight. I worry that you anchor and don't factor in intangibles like this guy being Italian and having plenty of c u next Tuesday. Love your work otherwise. Tongue in cheek.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I look forward to him playing games. Kreuzer will probably remain number one ruck and I just feel this could be his last season if not then second last. I'm guessing there will be 6-9 games this coming season where DeKoning or Pittonett get to play as the main ruck and that's a great opportunity to cement a spot going into 2021.

That has to be a decent sign, I figure...
Especially considering that McClure said Clarko envisaged Pitt assuming more ruck responsibility; to enable McEvoy to spend time down back. If that's true, he was in line to get more time in ruck with Hawks, but still chose to switch to Blues.

Last edited:
Actually I’m northern Italian and in the north east Region (Friuli) it is reasonably common to have surnames that do not end in vowels - unlike the vast majority of Italian surnames. Italian is a phonetic language, go with the most obvious pronunciation. IMO.
welcome aboard Marc, hope this turns out well. If nothing else your significantly join her than the bloke you replace... good luck and enjoy a decent jumper if nothing else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back