Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

As soon as you leave, your efforts are either augmented or diminished in the eyes of beholders and those who never had a chance to behold. Sinclair's reputation has certainly grown new legs in this thread. Suddenly, he has become a quantity to be desired, rather than a liability running off that HB line. Ben Kinnear or Jason Wilde never subsequently rose beyond the height of their playing days. They were always considered mediocre, and for good reason. Lest we forget.
He's right up there with Broomhead and that's not an easy Peak to climb

Why does Ben Sinclair warrant a mention?

He was neither great nor terrible. He just provided some dash when everyone else was scared to take the game on under Buckley’s game style but other than that wasn’t remarkably rest or poor.

Was Ben Sinclair or Callum Brown the better forward?

Was Ben Sinclair or Callum Brown the better forward?

Oooof that’s a tough one.

He’s managed to become both when he’s neither
He was another whose career was blighted by injury. He was OK when he played. Shame we didn't learn a lesson from him not to draft players requiring rehab or surgery as he spent most of his first few years on the sidelines, then we drafted Schanenberg whose toes required filleting and he became a living example of the song about your bits and pieces being connected to each other. In his case, it was 'your toe bone's connected to your knee bone'.

Maybe the better word for it is decision making. He does seem to have all the skills but plenty of times he's free on a bursting run through the centre and chooses the wrong option.
Beau's decision-making seems to be more team oriented, and he seems to be reluctant to finish his own work but when he does (goal against Carlton, as an example) he is the goods. I was pleased to see Fly encourage Beau's more 'selfish' endeavors in that game and I am sure that his confidence will grow and so will his output. I realise that Beau didn't spend a lot of time under Buckley but have to wonder how much influence his 'team first' and 'high percentage' options have had on Beau's willingness to take the glory himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does Ben Sinclair warrant a mention?

He was neither great nor terrible. He just provided some dash when everyone else was scared to take the game on under Buckley’s game style but other than that wasn’t remarkably rest or poor.
He has only been mentioned because he has been physically likened to Richards off HB.

Maybe the better word for it is decision making. He does seem to have all the skills but plenty of times he's free on a bursting run through the centre and chooses the wrong option.
McCreery had an overall much better year last year and I would expect the same improvement this coming season.
A classic case of a player who, like the side, gets better with games played, to the point they dominate their position, at the same time as the bulk of their teammates and challenge for flag.

Basically how every flag side ever has developed.

Last edited:
He was another whose career was blighted by injury. He was OK when he played. Shame we didn't learn a lesson from him not to draft players requiring rehab or surgery as he spent most of his first few years on the sidelines, then we drafted Schanenberg whose toes required filleting and he became a living example of the song about your bits and pieces being connected to each other. In his case, it was 'your toe bone's connected to your knee bone'.
I could be wrong but think Sinclair’s availability was good early on. He debuted in his second year and was close to best 22 in his third. I think his injury issues mostly happened after that.

I think you’re getting him mixed up with Josh Thomas who had almost three??? years written off but then became fairly reliable afterwards.

I could be wrong but think Sinclair’s availability was good early on. He debuted in his second year and was close to best 22 in his third. I think his injury issues mostly happened after that.

I think you’re getting him mixed up with Josh Thomas who had almost three??? years written off but then became fairly reliable afterwards.

I think Josh was just fine injury wise but lost a couple of years after getting on the Nose Bollingers?

Look the drum was this was a shallow draft, if we get a 50 gamer after pick 30 thats a decent return.

We have a fair spread of smalls back and forward now, hes not first pick anywhere. I hope he gets a shot at it, but im not expecting him to play 10 games as I might of Allen.

He certainly looked to have some pace and breakaway speed, but that dreadful accompanying 'music' brought a halt to my viewing 2 minutes in. Reminded me of hours year's back spent on the phone to DODO, switched between various hapless souls playing pass the parcel with my problem, each desperate for the issue to end up in the hands of anyone but their own. Besides there's only so much running can be watched in one sitting. Then there was the Ben Sinclair flashbacks to further complicate the viewing procedure.
There was another highlights package that had bluesy fuzz guitar as the music.
This was far more palatable than the excrement the CFC media guys dished up.
And these people get PAID to produce this dross.
I should put forward my 8 year old son as the music manager - his favourite band is AC/DC and his favourite song is Paranoid.

Look the drum was this was a shallow draft, if we get a 50 gamer after pick 30 thats a decent return.

We have a fair spread of smalls back and forward now, hes not first pick anywhere. I hope he gets a shot at it, but im not expecting him to play 10 games as I might of Allen.

Much more likely than Allan to play 10+ games in 2023 IMO.

He's 23. Why would you draft him and then not play him? What would we be waiting for? It's now or never IMO.

He might get half a dozen VFL games to acclimate to that level and prove himself, if he isn't in the AFL side by the bye then he's a bust pretty much

Correct. I have him confused with Josh Thomas (injury wise).

Last edited:
Joe Richards has a very similar stature to Matty Ryan from the 80's, almost a reincarnation of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back