Player Watch Trent McKenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

'The Cannon' now a defensive weapon in footy's great comeback story

In his previous life he was known as 'The Cannon'. And after two games in two seasons, Trent McKenzie is enjoying a reinvention

In his previous life he was known as 'The Cannon'. And after two games in two seasons, Trent McKenzie is enjoying a reinvention

Nice write up. Kudos to Ken and Monty too.
I hope Watts has such a resurgence too as McKenzie ( and Charlie) have had.

A great story and well deserved kudos.

Anyone else feel like we are being set up for a too early Ken extension though?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Sam Mayes deserves a toast thread after a stellar debut, McKenzie is long overdue after 7 great games.

Absolute credit to him, after hanging onto the list for 2 years and coming into what could have been his last ever season at AFL level.

Has become arguably our best one-on-one defender this season despite his lack of height, an amazing spoiler and of course a lethal field kick. He is pretty much everything you could want from a third tall.

Not many people saw this coming, but he is easily the most improved player in the AFL this season and an integral part of our success. Well done to Trent and well done to the coaching staff who either saw enough in him to give him the opportunity or developed his game to the point he was capable of doing this, or both.

This guy deserves more praise for what he's been able to do this year I reckon. Along side Jonas he's been the most impressive of our "tall" backs. I don't think anybody saw this coming.
Definitely didn't see it coming.
His desperation, body strength and contested marking have all been welcome surprises, along with his closing speed.

The length of time he spent on the side lines, waiting his turn, looked like the opportunity had past him. Thankfully for McKenzie and Port, he has cemented himself as one of our most important players on the park.

a great PAFC story!

If anyone says they saw this coming they should be banned immediately because that is the biggest load of s**t I have heard
Wouldn't have picked this from a mile away, glad it has happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anyone says they saw this coming they should be banned immediately because that is the biggest load of sh*t I have heard
I didn't pick it, but I wasn't disappointed when he wasn't cut. He had a good finish to the SANFL season (I can't remember if it was last year or the one before). There was something there to work with, it was just a matter if it was too little too late.

Im enjoying the impact that Mackenie is having and hoping he has a big finals campaign coming up.
One thing that really stressed me yesterday is these guys in our backline that have big booming kicks constantly kicking short kicks the the back pocket.
Surely there is enough sanity in the team as well as the coaches to take advantage of the talent there and kick the ruddy thing past the centre, surely!

Im enjoying the impact that Mackenie is having and hoping he has a big finals campaign coming up.
One thing that really stressed me yesterday is these guys in our backline that have big booming kicks constantly kicking short kicks the the back pocket.
Surely there is enough sanity in the team as well as the coaches to take advantage of the talent there and kick the ruddy thing past the centre, surely!

Not the way footy is played these days.

For a guy to play at this standard, given his age, previous roles and the kind of career he's had to date is virtually unprecedented. Such a high quality key back now. Not far off AA standard in my opinion. I'm absolutely blown away by his season.

I have to say I'm one of those annoying supporters that's always screaming KICK IT LONG 😂

Spearhead Charlie Dixon to sign new Port Adelaide deal, Trent McKenzie earns new contract
Five years after they were teammates at the Gold Coast, Trent McKenzie and Charlie Dixon are now the bookends of ladder leader Port Adelaide’s side and both set to sign new multi-year deals as they head towards finals.
Trent's kicking efficiency is 81.6 per cent – above average of all key defenders in the competition – he leads the club in intercept marks and is considered above average by Champion Data for disposals, metres gained and marks across the league.

“I think everyone at our footy club is thrilled for Trent because he’s had to do it hard for a couple of years to get into the team,” coach Ken Hinkley said.

“It was all around reward for what he’d done and his performance and now he looks a really solid part of our back seven. I just hope he can continue to do that for another six or eight weeks.
“Trent’s always shown from his young days before he was injured he was a strong, fierce competitor, he’s got some weapons – his kick is one and his speed another – and his strength now, he’s a matured man and he just wins physical battles.

Last edited:
His manager qualifies for Nominative determinism me thinks. Also we might have leaked to Reece Homfray's.

McKenzie’s agent James Pitcher confirmed he had been in talks with Port Adelaide’s list manager Jason Cripps and was confident the defender would remain at Alberton next year. While Pitcher said there was no expectation of a multi-year deal, News Corp understands McKenzie has shown enough to secure one and it will be completed in coming weeks.

McKenzie was one of Gold Coast’s inaugural signings as a 17-year-old and played 106 games in seven years before his body began to let him down and he was delisted at the end of 2017. His former coach Guy McKenna had seen enough to know he was a quality player but more importantly so had his assistant at the time – Ken Hinkley.

If anyone says they saw this coming they should be banned immediately because that is the biggest load of sh*t I have heard
He did win the Brownlow on my AFL evolution 2

So I had a sneaky thought lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back