Player Watch Welcome to Richmond Maverick Weller

Remove this Banner Ad

I see people are saying they'd have preferred to keep Lloyd which is a fair call and had Lloyd stayed he probably would have played the games that Caddy is going to miss. However the argument against playing Weller is that we should be playing younger players or would have been better keeping Lloyd. Do people realise that Lloyd is 2 years older than Weller having turned 29 earlier in March? So how exactly would we have been better off by keeping a 29 year old Lloyd and playing him over the younger guys?
What does age have to do with it? lol So every player that is over 29 should be scrap heaped?? It’s about talent and Mav doesn’t have it. Lloyd would have been ideal atm with our injuries as well as being a temporary fill until the younger lads gained experience and confidence in the their development in the VFL. Heaven forbid Hodge is still trotting around and he’s older than Moses.

*Weller was the second last player added to the list and was never going to play unless needed.
Well thats just crazy , The 'Last' player then is Sydney Stack who actually fills a need and if we are giving games to our 2nd last player straight off the bat then there is something drastically wrong.

*Caddy got injured just before the season started, so too did Townsend. We needed a big bodied mid sized forward who can play midfield.
No we didnt you are having a few bob each way here , Townsend & Caddy have spent very little time in the midfield recently and Weller is useless in the midfield and basically plays small foward.

The player / s that should be played in Caddy's role are Noah Balta or Callum Moore both are stronger / faster / Taller and more athletic as well as having the option of playing other positions on the field we are struggling in. Defence & Ruck

We could have used balta both Ruck and Across HB and Moore foward as well as Ruck rather than a 30 year old coleman medalist thats integral to our team

The team stuffed up , If not for weller we would have had Marsh now no the list which fills a desperate need , And Marsh would get a game this week
You get it and it’s pretty bloody obvious to most where we screwed up. I think PTB nailed it that it was that hack Saints assistant we got that breathed some life into the Mav selection.

What does age have to do with it? lol So every player that is over 29 should be scrap heaped?? It’s about talent and Mav doesn’t have it. Lloyd would have been ideal atm with our injuries as well as being a temporary fill until the younger lads gained experience and confidence in the their development in the VFL. Heaven forbid Hodge is still trotting around and he’s older than Moses.

we are past them both, but if you had to choose a list clogger it would be bongs on talent alone not to mention familiarity with the game plan and how good a clubman he was.

RT would have you believe weller is cover for caddy and townsend because kids (2nd 3rd and 4th year players) aren’t ready to play hff. easiest position on the ground to cover. 50% of the list can play hff.

weller should never have been picked up after we rookied townsend. bad list management, just lock the thread and hope he plays the year out in the vfl.

*Weller was the second last player added to the list and was never going to play unless needed.
Well thats just crazy , The 'Last' player then is Sydney Stack who actually fills a need and if we are giving games to our 2nd last player straight off the bat then there is something drastically wrong.
Fantastic use of spin. When Weller was added to the list was Rance done for the year? Was Stack guaranteed a spot? BTW what need does Stack fill as we have Houli Short Markov Menadue Naish & Eggmolesse-Smith who can all play small defender.
*Caddy got injured just before the season started, so too did Townsend. We needed a big bodied mid sized forward who can play midfield.
No we didnt you are having a few bob each way here , Townsend & Caddy have spent very little time in the midfield recently and Weller is useless in the midfield and basically plays small foward.

The player / s that should be played in Caddy's role are Noah Balta or Callum Moore both are stronger / faster / Taller and more athletic as well as having the option of playing other positions on the field we are struggling in. Defence & Ruck

We could have used balta both Ruck and Across HB and Moore foward as well as Ruck rather than a 30 year old coleman medalist thats integral to our team

The team stuffed up , If not for weller we would have had Marsh now no the list which fills a desperate need , And Marsh would get a game this week
Caddys role this year is going to be midfield and rotate forward given Lynch has slotted in as the second marking option, meaning we no longer needed to keep him forward. You know the role we initially recruited him for. As for Townsend in the VFL practice games he has reverted back to the midfield role he won the Liston Trophy in.

Moore can't play midfield and being shorter than Jack would have been worse than Jack in the ruck. Don't forget Balta played R1 alongside Weller where plenty said we looked too top heavy, yet you're wanting us to go even taller.

I mean I get it Weller ain't a star but he wasn't recruited to be a star, he was recruited as depth and unfortunately was needed to start the season. If not for injuries he wouldn't have played.

we are past them both, but if you had to choose a list clogger it would be bongs on talent alone not to mention familiarity with the game plan and how good a clubman he was.

RT would have you believe weller is cover for caddy and townsend because kids (2nd 3rd and 4th year players) aren’t ready to play hff. easiest position on the ground to cover. 50% of the list can play hff.

weller should never have been picked up after we rookied townsend. bad list management, just lock the thread and hope he plays the year out in the vfl.
Playing HF in our team isn't that easy given we use a high pressure set up. So we need players who are capable of putting in repeated efforts to ensure the ball isn't rebounded from our forward line too easily.

Funny thing is, if we played a kid in that role and their opponent had a field day, a lot of the same people criticizing Weller playing would also be saying why didn't we play a more mature player.

Playing HF in our team isn't that easy given we use a high pressure set up. So we need players who are capable of putting in repeated efforts to ensure the ball isn't rebounded from our forward line too easily.

Funny thing is, if we played a kid in that role and their opponent had a field day, a lot of the same people criticizing Weller playing would also be saying why didn't we play a more mature player.

yeah well you can’t please everyone. doesn’t change the fact, and it is fact, weller is a list clogger that should not even be on the list. blair has made a blue and so has dimma by playing him. the end/

yeah well you can’t please everyone. doesn’t change the fact, and it is fact, weller is a list clogger that should not even be on the list. blair has made a blue and so has dimma by playing him. the end/
Given Lloyd & Miles in particular weren't staying name a mature mid sized midfielder we could have got for rookie money instead of Weller. The only one thst springs to mind is Gibbons and he chose to go to Carlton to try his luck.

As I've said before I didn't expect Weller to play unless needed and unfortunately we needed him to start the season. He hasn't been good enough so the next option should be tried this week, hopefully Ross, but I also won't be shocked to see Weller playing again on Saturday.

Now that we have JR injured too. And Caddy and Houli not ready for next week. And we have an opponent about to regain 2 of their best; on the road; a game too hard to win, I'd gift games to players rather than play Weller & Ellis. Both these guys are OK. Ellis had his normal game, which ended up being superior to what 1/2 our midfield produced.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic use of spin. When Weller was added to the list was Rance done for the year? Was Stack guaranteed a spot? BTW what need does Stack fill as we have Houli Short Markov Menadue Naish & Eggmolesse-Smith who can all play small defender.

Caddys role this year is going to be midfield and rotate forward given Lynch has slotted in as the second marking option, meaning we no longer needed to keep him forward. You know the role we initially recruited him for. As for Townsend in the VFL practice games he has reverted back to the midfield role he won the Liston Trophy in.

Moore can't play midfield and being shorter than Jack would have been worse than Jack in the ruck. Don't forget Balta played R1 alongside Weller where plenty said we looked too top heavy, yet you're wanting us to go even taller.

I mean I get it Weller ain't a star but he wasn't recruited to be a star, he was recruited as depth and unfortunately was needed to start the season. If not for injuries he wouldn't have played.

You dont know that for certain ! Caddy was also playing the foward role when Townsend was there which he no longer is and thats the position that Lynch will be playing. We will eventually have all Lynch Jack & Caddy playing foward and caddy midfield will still only be 30% time

Weller is not the future and he doesnt have enough weapons to make a spot his own, He was bought to the club for depth but he is not Caddy depth and should not have been played. The match committee made mistakes with selection and Moore should be getting games ahead of Weller and even Bolton and Baker should all be preferred to weller if we are talking about whats good for the RFC future

Given Lloyd & Miles in particular weren't staying name a mature mid sized midfielder we could have got for rookie money instead of Weller. The only one thst springs to mind is Gibbons and he chose to go to Carlton to try his luck.

As I've said before I didn't expect Weller to play unless needed and unfortunately we needed him to start the season. He hasn't been good enough so the next option should be tried this week, hopefully Ross, but I also won't be shocked to see Weller playing again on Saturday.

ay ay ay i said the end
pal, we didn’t need to bring in a mature mid size player, we have a heap in the 20-22 yr old bracket that need more games. it was the wrong move. they fkd up. given our list profile, even without hindsight, they should have rookied marsh.
now stop it.

You dont know that for certain ! Caddy was also playing the foward role when Townsend was there which he no longer is and thats the position that Lynch will be playing. We will eventually have all Lynch Jack & Caddy playing foward and caddy midfield will still only be 30% time

Weller is not the future and he doesnt have enough weapons to make a spot his own, He was bought to the club for depth but he is not Caddy depth and should not have been played. The match committee made mistakes with selection and Moore should be getting games ahead of Weller and even Bolton and Baker should all be preferred to weller if we are talking about whats good for the RFC future
Splitting hairs as not everyone can start in the middle but Caddy will spend more time in the middle than he has the last 2 seasons.

As for Bolton and Baker both are sub 180cm/80kg, neither are able to play the inside midfield role.

Again I understand Weller isn't the future but I get why he was picked, even though I didn't really want it either, it was done because they thought he was best suited to play the Caddy role. As soon as Caddy is back Weller will be gone and everyone can worry about another whipping boy.

ay ay ay i said the end
pal, we didn’t need to bring in a mature mid size player, we have a heap in the 20-22 yr old bracket that need more games. it was the wrong move. they fkd up. given our list profile, even without hindsight, they should have rookied marsh.
now stop it.
Marsh wasn't even training with us until early February from memory as he hadn't really committed to having another crack.

Marsh wasn't even training with us until early February from memory as he hadn't really committed to having another crack.

yeah and they could have kept the spot open and rookied him with stack after he dominated the intras. instead they jumped on maverick for reasons that no sane person can identify. he’s an acquisition for a bottom side. worst case scenario they could have taken another kid or left a spot open for the mid season draft, which would also be handy right about now.

walk away bro, im done

yeah and they could have kept the spot open and rookied him with stack after he dominated the intras. instead they jumped on maverick for reasons that no sane person can identify. he’s an acquisition for a bottom side. worst case scenario they could have taken another kid or left a spot open for the mid season draft, which would also be handy right about now.

walk away bro, im done
As I said hindsight is a wonderful thing.

He has a bit of upside, lets see him play a game or 2 before turning him into our newest whipping boy FFS
Looks like posters paid attention, 2 games in and he is the new whipping boy. Amazing how adding Weller has turned the team to s**t.

Looks like posters paid attention, 2 games in and he is the new whipping boy. Amazing how adding Weller has turned the team to s**t.
Yeah the old cancer player blah blah lol

If Ross had've been picked instead of Weller and they juggled the midfield around to slot him in, then I think we would have still beaten Carlton & lost to Coll. But we would've had a good read on where Ross was at. If he needed to be sent back to VFL, then bring in your experienced Weller/Ellis types.

If Ross had've been picked instead of Weller and they juggled the midfield around to slot him in, then I think we would have still beaten Carlton & lost to Coll. But we would've had a good read on where Ross was at. If he needed to be sent back to VFL, then bring in your experienced Weller/Ellis types.
Fair call, but the coaching staff would have already had a good read on Ross. Most of us saw him in 2 JLT games and liked what we saw but they obviously didn't like everything or he would have debuted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back