Player Watch #36 Welcome to Richmond - Will Martyn

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s the general consensus on Martyn as a prospect on here? Has anyone been able to see a lot of his work at VFL level this year?
What sort of mid does he play like? I’ve heard fairly big wraps on him from the club.

Hard runner who can gather possessions inside and outside the contest, pretty smooth mover without having express pace. Disposal can be a bit hit and miss, particularly kicking, without being bad. Still a bit slight to really mix it with the big boys inside the contest - wins some contested possessions by finding space and remaining on the move in traffic, but it doesn't always work out.

He's a reasonable prospect and if he can put on a bit of size or gain a few more tricks he could be an AFL player.

2nd year averaged 25 disposals, 5 marks, 6.5 tackles, a bunch of clearances and a VFL team BnF....fair effort I reckon all things considered. Reminds me of Anthony Miles but bigger and a far better runner.

Could be a gem.
Will add a couple of kg's of muscle over the preseason, strong lover half, a good runner and knows how to find the ball. Could surprise. (Gearing up for the spring races)

I think another poster has mentioned this, but I see some similarities to Dusty's draft highlights and Will. Maybe its just him wearing #36, but the way he attacks the footy in tight and a few well timed stiff arms reminded me of our GOAT. I'm incredibly interested in how he progresses as I've seen limited matches of VFL but enough for him to impress me at that level. Hopefully it can translate up.

I think another poster has mentioned this, but I see some similarities to Dusty's draft highlights and Will. Maybe its just him wearing #36, but the way he attacks the footy in tight and a few well timed stiff arms reminded me of our GOAT. I'm incredibly interested in how he progresses as I've seen limited matches of VFL but enough for him to impress me at that level. Hopefully it can translate up.
But he lacks his breakaway speed and power, not sure about the Dusty similarities but agree will be interesting to see him next years with a bit more condition and strength, certainly knows how to find the ball and has very good running power.

One of quite a few impressive young players on the list that are ready to stake their claims.

R1 Vs Southport
11 Disposals, 0 Goals, 2 Marks, 1 Tackle, 0 Clearances, 0 Inside 50s, 41 VFL Ranking Points

R2 Vs Sandringham
19 Disposals, 1 Goal, 7 Marks, 1 Tackle, 3 Clearances, 2 Inside 50s, 72 VFL Ranking Points

R3 Vs Footscray
18 Disposals, 0 Goals, 3 Marks, 4 Tackles, 1 Clearance, 0 Inside 50s, 70 VFL Ranking Points

R4 Vs Carlton
24 Disposals, 0 Goals, 8 Marks, 3 Tackles, 2 Clearances, 3 Inside 50s, 99 VFL Ranking Points

R5 Vs Casey
15 Disposals, 0 Goals, 3 Marks, 10 Tackles, 1 Clearance, 2 Inside 50s, 91 VFL Ranking Points

17.4 Disposals a game
0.2 Goals a game
4.6 Marks a game
3.8 Tackles a game
1.4 Clearances a game
1.4 Inside 50s a game
74.6 VFL Ranking Points a game

Another player we are turning into a half back (due to the midfield at VFL level being full), and is having alot less impact then last year

Turn the reigning best and fairest winner playing inside mid into a half back. Makes sense. :think:
I think the strategy is to make him more dynamic, be an inside mid who can rotate back, add another string to his bow or something like that

He's even more ponderous than Jack Ross. Not good enough.

R1 Vs Southport
11 Disposals, 0 Goals, 2 Marks, 1 Tackle, 0 Clearances, 0 Inside 50s, 41 VFL Ranking Points

R2 Vs Sandringham
19 Disposals, 1 Goal, 7 Marks, 1 Tackle, 3 Clearances, 2 Inside 50s, 72 VFL Ranking Points

R3 Vs Footscray
18 Disposals, 0 Goals, 3 Marks, 4 Tackles, 1 Clearance, 0 Inside 50s, 70 VFL Ranking Points

R4 Vs Carlton
24 Disposals, 0 Goals, 8 Marks, 3 Tackles, 2 Clearances, 3 Inside 50s, 99 VFL Ranking Points

R5 Vs Casey
15 Disposals, 0 Goals, 3 Marks, 10 Tackles, 1 Clearance, 2 Inside 50s, 91 VFL Ranking Points

17.4 Disposals a game
0.2 Goals a game
4.6 Marks a game
3.8 Tackles a game
1.4 Clearances a game
1.4 Inside 50s a game
74.6 VFL Ranking Points a game

Another player we are turning into a half back (due to the midfield at VFL level being full), and is having alot less impact then last year
needs AFL game time to get to the next level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately I think a good state league level player but not good enough to be a regular at the next level, either for us or elsewhere. Can't hit on every draft pick unfortunately.

I Remember i really wanted us to take Bianco at the draft, we took Martyn a pick before him. In hindsight looks like Bianco is the better plater but who knows, if he played for us we would probably just put him at half back

I Remember i really wanted us to take Bianco at the draft, we took Martyn a pick before him. In hindsight looks like Bianco is the better plater but who knows, if he played for us we would probably just put him at half back
Bianco hasn’t exactly set the world on fire has he?
Goes alright vfl level but looking at his numbers is ave 4 disposals at afl level this season and 12 last year

Probably a similar output we would get from Martyn

Don’t think either will make it

Think there might of been some behind closed doors shenanigans so he got to Collingwood as well

Bianco hasn’t exactly set the world on fire has he?
Goes alright vfl level but looking at his numbers is ave 4 disposals at afl level this season and 12 last year

Probably a similar output we would get from Martyn

Don’t think either will make it

Think there might of been some behind closed doors shenanigans so he got to Collingwood as well
I suppose they are very similar in a way, Bianco is overshadowed by the other youth at Collingwood. Has been poor this year but had a solid 2021 for a second-year player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back