AFLW Welcome to TIGERLAND AFLW - Maddy Brancatisano

Remove this Banner Ad

1580784311732.png
1580426629324.png

APR 12. 2019. 1:26 PM
Tigers sign three more players for inaugural squad

Sarah Black

tigersaflw120419.jpg

HOT OFF the signing of marquee forward Katie Brennan, Richmond has added defenders Phoebe Monahan (from Greater Western Sydney) and Iilish Ross (Collingwood) and young midfielder Maddy Brancatisano (Melbourne) to its inaugural NAB AFL Women’s list.
The Tigers are one of four teams entering the AFLW competition in 2020 and now have four of their list of 30 confirmed.
All four will don the yellow and black in the upcoming VFLW season, which starts for Richmond on May 11.
Monahan played 10 of a possible 14 games for the Giants over a two-year period. The 25-year-old, a carpenter in Australian Army, is returning to familiar territory, having spent last winter playing for Richmond's VFLW side.
"The move suits all aspects of my life in terms of footy, moving back home (Monahan is originally from Geelong) for the first time in six years and work being able to support it," Monahan told womens.afl.
"I had a good season here last year. I got to see the club culture, the vision and the structure that Tommy (Hunter, VFLW coach) and the rest of the team had, and I wanted to be part of it coming into this year and the 2020 season.
"Working in the army is a little bit of a double-edged sword. I think it's one of the most flexible workplaces in order to pursue AFLW while it's still a semi-professional, part-time sport. They allow me to attend training, meetings, games, any club commitments I need to, but most of that is after a full day's work anyway."
Ross, 19, is defender on the rise. She played 12 games for the Pies after being selected 13th overall in the 2017 NAB AFLW Draft.
She had an injury-interrupted pre-season heading into this year, dealing with a stress-related shin issue, which she said contributed to a slow start.
Ross is recovering from damaged ligaments in her right ankle suffered in round six, but is hoping to play at VFLW level in the second half of the season.
"Security (was a selling point) and the program Richmond is offering is really exciting. I think I left on good terms with Collingwood. I wish them all the best and I can't wait to get started," Ross said.
"The change is a bit nerve-racking … but I’m really looking forward to a new club.
"The vibe is great here, you walk around the club and staff already know you, they say they're looking forward to the AFLW program. They're genuine and that's really exciting to be part of."
Brancatisano is yet to make her AFLW debut; the former Northern Knights under-18 captain was unable to break into a strong Melbourne midfield featuring Karen Paxman, Elise O'Dea and Lily Mithen.
The 18-year-old was selected with pick 15 in last year's draft and is known for her speed and run-and-carry game.
"The Tigers approached me and presented me with some really good opportunities for my football, so I had a good think about it and said yes," Brancatisano said.
"It was an awesome season (in 2019). Unfortunately, I didn't get to play, but training with (the Demons was) really good and I learned so much. I was working on my footwork, running from contests, developing my ability to deliver by foot as well, not just handballing.
"Everyone's so welcoming here and I'm just really looking forward to playing."

Last edited:
TAC Cup Girls: Northern Knights captaincy choice runs in the family for Madeline Brancatisano
Tim Michell, Whittlesea Leader
March 20, 2018 9:55am

LEADERSHIP must run in the Brancatisano family.

Lily Brancatisano earned the honour of being named Northern Knights’ inaugural TAC Cup Girls captain last season and has handed the reins to her sister Madeline this year.
The role has added to an already packed weekly schedule for 17-year-old Madeline which involves year 12 studies at Eltham’s Catholic Ladies College, basketball training with Geelong Supercats and her TAC Cup Girls duties.
At least once a week she will head to Geelong, where her sisters Charlotte and Isabella are members of the Supercats’ SEABL squad for 2018.
Basketball has been a passion for Madeline since she was six, but she only started playing football two years ago.
similars

“My local club Laurimar needed some girls and they asked me to come down,” Madeline said.
“Mum said, ‘go and have a try’ and I just loved it from there.”
Madeline Brancatisano has been juggling her dual passions for basketball and football. Picture: Steve Tanner.

After five matches with the Knights last season, she progressed to the Northern Football League Women’s ranks with Montmorency.
Madeline said she “definitely learned a lot” playing alongside her sister Lily and AFLW draftee Maddy Guerin.
The Doreen resident was at the draft with her Knights teammate when she was snapped up by Melbourne with pick No. 14.
Brancatisano said she hoped to follow in Guerin’s footsteps by earning an opportunity in the national competition.
“Getting drafted would be a dream come true, but I just want to enjoy it see where it takes me,” she said.
She has two ideal role models, Western Bulldog Monique Conti and Collingwood’s Chloe Molloy, to ask for advice.
Molloy was a basketball prodigy before giving the sport away to focus on football, while Conti has juggled her careers with the Bulldogs and WNBL club Melbourne Boomers.
“I am good friends with both of them,” she said.
“It was very cool seeing them get drafted and doing what they love.”
Before she will allow herself to start dreaming of the bright lights of AFLW, Brancatisano wants to achieve success with the Knights.
She has made a perfect start to her captaincy, leading Northern Knights to the top of the ladder after victories over Dandenong Stingrays and Calder Cannons.
While the skipper will have a major role to play, she said bottom-agers Nell Morris-Dalton and Gabrielle Newton would also be players to watch.

AFLW Pocket Profile: Maddy Brancatisano

By richmondfc.com.au
brancatisano_1024.jpg

Get to know a little more about AFLW Tiger Maddy Brancatisano...
Guernsey number:
Position: Forward/Midfielder
Height: 170cm
D.O.B.: 05/09/2000
Nickname: Branc
Instagram handle: @maddybranc
Local club: Montmorency
Club supported growing up: GWS Giants
Pre-game meal: Pasta
Favourite holiday destination: Wye River
Favourite TV show: Modern Family
Most-used app: Instagram
Cats or dogs: Dogs
Favourite type of kick: Drop punt
Favourite pump up song to listen to before a match: We Like to Party - Vengaboys
Greatest inspiration and why: Mum and dad because they always encourage and help me in everything I do and help me be the best version of myself.
Which AFL/AFLW player do you model your game off: Scott Pendlebury

Remove this Banner Ad

Back