Roast West Coast "Conspiracy" re. Free Kicks - Herald Sun

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night I remember when Darling bumped someone out of the road to take a mark almost directly in front of goal and it was paid as a push in the back. I also remember when Adam Selwood somehow got a free from a high tackle that was simply not there and was clearly acted.

If this writer was an umpire, then I bet all these inconsistencies would be rubbed out quick smart :rolleyes:

haha can you imagine outcry if it was our home game? victorian umpires on this one. you could see that papers were itching to get on the whole favouritism thing, but yet this small, yet important thing, really constrained them.

in the end, they went and came up with a stat that favour the story. well all i can say is that per kilometre square, teams from WA get the least amount of free kicks. AFL needs to investigate whats going on.

Guy seems like an absolute flog. Had a look at his twitter and a fan asked if he was "unprofessional" and he responded with "yes".

Writes like a bigfooty poster and probably had money riding on the game, or was just barracking for the Saints.

This seems par for the course for the industry, no wonder it is in such grim shape.

What's his twitter?

that line about the priddis free "that might have been missed most weeks" is pure priceless... seriously where do you start? he got whacked in the gob, that wasn't even in debate as to whether it was a free kick.

i think we got on the right end on sunday, but that's footy. some times you get the rub of the green, sometimes you don't. either way it wasn't like they were ass raping st kilda. the darling free against was terrible (and probably the single most blatantly wrong decision of the game), and there was another one where his opponent basically molested him and cost us a shot on goal.

Cox free was undeniably there, Priddis 1 was undeniably there, how you could even deny that, Priddis 2 was holding the ball, Saad was probably technically right but a bullshit call no less, so 2-2, stop complaining and start targeting the fact that 4 Saints efforts from inside 15 metres missed in the last quarter.

Non story and a half.

it sells papers- lowest denominator trash. Dont lose sleep over it.

"Ohhh... fan base A, will be furious about this....furious enough that they will be forced to consume s**t on paper if it tells them a story that it wants to hear" Cue evil laughter "MWAAHAHAHAHA"
In the time thereafter several thousand Saints fan that wouldn't normally purchase their paper do so because of the sweet soothing sound of people bitching about the same thing they are.

The only reason the Saad free is getting looked at is because the umpire didn't wait around for 4 or 5 seconds extra like they usually do for HTB calls, before he made the decision. He was always going to call HTB, he just called it a few seconds early (who knows why, to converse time in the game?) because Saad was putting up no attempt at all to get rid of it.

Stupid conspiracy theories aside I do find it curious that we have such a lopsided free kick count in our favour when over time you'd expect it to even out somewhat - swings and roundabouts and all that

So what is it about our style of play that on average we receive 4 more free kicks per game than we concede

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its also interesting how Cox get stick for his arm waving. He managed 6 marks and 26 Hit Outs without but was gifted a generous 2 frees for and 1 against. Damning statics those, better catch the next flight to IPL land where we can all bask in the integrity.

So what is it about our style of play that on average we receive 4 more free kicks per game than we concede
Ruck dominance over a long period where opposition players do try to negate instead of winning on their own merits at times. Also Glass and now McKenzie down back are generally very good at not giving away a lot of soft freebies. Couple that with a raft of short people for those high frees? But in the end what you would expect is that the players going for the ball and making the play should earn the free more often then they cough them up.

Ruck dominance over a long period where opposition players do try to negate instead of winning on their own merits at times. Also Glass and now McKenzie down back are generally very good at not giving away a lot of soft freebies. Couple that with a raft of short people for those high frees? But in the end what you would expect is that the players going for the ball and making the play should earn the free more often then they cough them up.

Agree with the ruck contests, defenders and short people. I'd add our tall forward line helps draw holding or arm chop free kicks

Not sure i agree with the last sentence though - we don't have a monopoly on going for the ball as other sides would claim to do the same yet they don't have the free kick discrepancy we do

I think it amounts to, we are good at getting frees and we are good at not giving them away, hence the lopsided free kick count. Pretty Simple.

And my god, Darling got monstered all day. In that back, high, high and in the back.

Stupid conspiracy theories aside I do find it curious that we have such a lopsided free kick count in our favour when over time you'd expect it to even out somewhat - swings and roundabouts and all that

I think it's the free kicks we don't give away more than the ones we get.
Good coaching maybe:D

Agree with the ruck contests, defenders and short people. I'd add our tall forward line helps draw holding or arm chop free kicks

Not sure i agree with the last sentence though - we don't have a monopoly on going for the ball as other sides would claim to do the same yet they don't have the free kick discrepancy we do
Its easier to infringe on someone who has the ball already, then to infringe while you have the ball. Especially since they are insanely lenient on incorrect disposal now. That was my take on that last point.

Wow...doesn't matter if we aren't a serious threat on the field as it currently stands, haters are always gunna hate!!!

Main board currently in their weekly huff & puff about our cheating!!! We obviously pay the umps off :rolleyes:

Not surprised. This is the typical crap from the Vics. Can you imagine if it was our club with the PED scandal and not Essendon? Where is the righteous indignation from Robert Walls and the rest of the Vic hack commentators/media about Essendon? Don't hear Walls calling their season tainted or Watson's brownlow tainted? Hell a panel apparently already decided he keeps his medal no matter what the investigation outcome is.

I'd love to say that being hated again means we are doing something right, but we are playing very average football and are no real threat come September.

These hate articles are just strange.
Just Victorians being Victorians I guess.

The umps missed more than they paid, either way we would've probably ended up with more frees than we did. If they paid the stoppage holds Scooter would have had about 15 free kicks.

Opposition flogs who watch our games studying the frees we do get conveniently dismiss the ones we should have got which is why I DGAF what they think. I have a feeling nevertheless that after Friday night the AFL realised missing 'real' free kicks after they probably decided to put the whistle away was a furphy:
Fri night
Ess 8 Carl 9 Total 17
Sat
GWS 14 Gee 17 Total 21
Adel 12 Syd 13 Total 25
GC 12 North 17 Total 29
Sun
Saints 14 WCE 22 Total 36
Mon
Melb 12 Coll 21 Total 33
I can see a trend here.

Remove this Banner Ad