AFLW West Coast Womens Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How do we feel about this? We really have been put at a disadvantage I think by having years of weak draft depth in WA and now that we're bringing some talent in the VFL pushes for national draft....
Swings and roundabouts.

First, tea leaves suggest WA top talent nominating national regardless. So, state based drafting may not protect WA clubs from the poaching of WA talent, but may stop WA clubs accessing some of the top Vic players in return.

Also

Under a state based draft, how quickly clubs develop may depend largely on how much talent is coming through that state.

The more national it is, the more even the drafting, and the more you are able to target for need.

If you really need a kpp, and the best few players in your state are wings and small forwards, you either go without a kpp, or recruit a second class one.

Many more options when you can look national.

Also makes trading fairer and easier.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Given the AFLW is still in its relative infancy I think young girls coming through should retain the option to only nominate for the state draft if they’re not ready to relocate for whatever reason

Clubs aren’t able to commit the same resources to their AFLW teams so there’s a risk young female draftees might not be as well looked after as their male counterparts. They’re also not paid as well

As the competition matures the number of girls nominating for the national draft will increase to the point where the distinction becomes almost irrelevant and can be done away with. And I don’t think that’ll be far off but maybe not there just yet

Given the AFLW is still in its relative infancy I think young girls coming through should retain the option to only nominate for the state draft if they’re not ready to relocate for whatever reason

Clubs aren’t able to commit the same resources to their AFLW teams so there’s a risk young female draftees might not be as well looked after as their male counterparts. They’re also not paid as well

As the competition matures the number of girls nominating for the national draft will increase to the point where the distinction becomes almost irrelevant and can be done away with. And I don’t think that’ll be far off but maybe not there just yet
I wouldn't mind one more year of state based, even though I think that probably hurts WA, as I think the WA girls nominate national.

But not much more than 1 year, or we may start to see draft manipulation.

For example, hypothetical only. Fish decides she wants to go to the Eagles, she sees the Eagles sitting below Freo. Finds out from Eagles recruiters that they are really keen on her, nominates WA. Effectively picking the Eagles as her club.

Girls not being in a position to move interstate is one thing, but girls picking the state their preferred destination team is in, is something else.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back