Western Border Football League - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see the wbfl and kntfl merging within the next couple of years - not with travelling. I think a couple of clubs in the kntfl won't survive but that could be years away.

Wouldn't have thought it would make a huge difference. They will just purchase another midfielder from somewhere and "buy" themselves another flag like they have for the past 4 years. Watching them carry on for weeks after winning premierships in a weak 6 team comp when they are paying probably 7 times more than any other team is embarrassing!!

Quirk
Mcinerney x3 Nick, Tim, Matt
Close
Jenner
Bartetzgo
Flett
Chapman
Perry
Morettii
Egan
Stafford
Blachut
S Egan
J Schutz
Munn

All have come through North juniors 10 of those blokes would be under 21 and would not be getting paid 7 times more then anyone.
Your argument is horrendous. Go and watch some footy.

Don't think its too horrendous SnIcKeRs. In 2014 the yellow bellies won the GF by 5 goals. The only 2 "Paid and bought in" ex-SANFL players in the league kicked 10 goals between them. In 2013 they kicked 8 goals between them once again and surprise surprise the GF was AGAIN won by under 8 goals, with one being BOG. And you wouldn't believe it SnIcKeRs in 2012 one was BOG with 3 goals and the other kicked 4. So if the above example does not indicate 3 Paid Premierships please explain what does. And yes I believe the match payments of McConnell and O'Grady combined would be 7 times more that any other clubs.
Please give me a spell.... recruiting two players on good coin is not buying a flag when the bulk of your team are locals!

Padthaway bought a flag in the KNTFL because the majority of there side was bought on good coin, thats buying a flag IMO not just simply two gun players! It takes more than two players to win a premiership even if their personal stats are the difference on Grand Final Day!

Anyways, South have got a good one in Chris Oliver. Personally watched him tear up the HDFL in Victoria for Eden/Aps across half back and im sure will go well at this higher level. Previous Port Mag in SANFL as a kid.

South have also had Oakleigh Chargers players just turn up at the club. He's here for the new Jazz uni thing and wants a game of footy.
Jacka Ryan and Tyson Ploenges are back at West.
Haven't heard much about East and does anyone know if North have replaced OGrady with another marquee player from Adelaide etc?

Keith Ransom raiding the club that delivered him two premierships could not be taken very well surely. Considering West were the only club in the SE willing to give him a go, it seems a very selfish move. Made a massive grab at Holmes and Wilson from what I have heard, somewhere around $1500/game, but what a credit to those blokes to stay loyal to West. Those two are the reason you still go to watch WBFL footy, absolute pleasure to watch and I don't even follow the Westies. I thought it was common sense and an unwritten rule in country footy that ex-coaches do not raid there old clubs.

Agree with your sentiment re Holmes and Wilson two of the better footballers in the WBFL, but it might be an unwritten rule for coaches not to raid their former clubs but the trail of evidence does not fully support that rule.

Anyone go to the East v West game ?Would have to say I was a bit surprised by West's winning margin !!
where they that good or was East just that bad ??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

East not that bad and we're still in it for fair while. Need some goal kickers. They've got some good hard at it young blokes.
West look to have more depth and bigger bodies than last year and will win more in the wet than last year.
You'd rekon it's going to be West North and South again.

Diid not go and see them and probably will not. Two seasons in a row i have not gone to a WBFL game simply no longer interested, East have a policy of exposing young players to the rigors of playing against bigger bodied players. They get belted around and in time leave the club for a better deal. A policy of failure imo they will go no where again this year and cannot see them improving at all. Their last premiership was in 88
North South and maybe West will compete again this year.

How's the WB travelling so far? Did they play interleague this year?
Anyone name 2 players to watch for each team coming into the middle chunk of the season?

How's the WB travelling so far? Did they play interleague this year?
Anyone name 2 players to watch for each team coming into the middle chunk of the season?

No one wants to play inter-league because the coach is going around snotting everyone. But North don't bother playing in it anyway.
Looking the same as last year with West probably making another late run.
Oneill is killing it for South.
Munn has impressed for North.
Watch out for a young Kipping to make an impact for West.
Connell is his usual unstoppable at North.

What's the news of a possible merger next year with the kntfl. Heard there is a committee investigating it but no news so far.

I'm a Portland supporter and obviously been following them in the Hampden league. Just wondering what you guys think of the Mount sides playing in the Hampden league? They should dump Terang, Camperdown, Cobden and put the 3 strongest Mount Gambier sides in. Casterton can join the South West league. I miss watching the Mount sides and the rivalry we had with them. Would strengthen the Hamden league as well. I realise the obvious problem will be travel, the Warrnambool sides sook about having to travel to Portland and Hamilton as it is. Just a thought...

I'm a Portland supporter and obviously been following them in the Hampden league. Just wondering what you guys think of the Mount sides playing in the Hampden league? They should dump Terang, Camperdown, Cobden and put the 3 strongest Mount Gambier sides in. Casterton can join the South West league. I miss watching the Mount sides and the rivalry we had with them. Would strengthen the Hamden league as well. I realise the obvious problem will be travel, the Warrnambool sides sook about having to travel to Portland and Hamilton as it is. Just a thought...

Any ideas are good ideas at the moment. We are certainly missing Portland and Hamilton. It's a very ho hum league at the moment. Final 4 is pretty well known after the first round. I actually look forward to the trips out of town .. going over the border always adds something and it's pretty unique. Likewise the only plus is no travel. We are probably hoping Penola and Narracoorte join the league but they a happy in their own leagues so unless they are forced I can't see it happening.
Best bet is that you and Hamilton come back??
How's it been going anyway everyone happy with the move?

Any ideas are good ideas at the moment. We are certainly missing Portland and Hamilton. It's a very ho hum league at the moment. Final 4 is pretty well known after the first round. I actually look forward to the trips out of town .. going over the border always adds something and it's pretty unique. Likewise the only plus is no travel. We are probably hoping Penola and Narracoorte join the league but they a happy in their own leagues so unless they are forced I can't see it happening.
Best bet is that you and Hamilton come back??
How's it been going anyway everyone happy with the move?
Both Hamilton and Portland have struggled since joining but having said that we both have pretty weak sides compared to what we had in the Western Border league. It certainly is a step up in standard compared to Western Border, they play a game style similar to AFL where there is a lot of run and spread. Portland this season only won their first game last weekend against South Warrnambool by 24 pts. Hamilton have won two games so far this season. Our best side I reckon was the first year when we had our Western Border side with Holty as coach and Hayse at full forward etc. I hope you guys get to play in a decent league as there are a lot of really good players over in the Mount. By the way there isn't a ground in the Hampden league that rivals any of the grounds in Mount gambier.

Your idea sounds good in theory, but you cannot ever chuck out Terang, Camperdown and Cobden. They were the Hampden league's original clubs. If Mount Gambier was another 70km closer, you would have them in the Hampden league. Reality is, the Victorian side of footy is sorted out in the South West region. I did hear one of the proposals for the SE South Australian 3 comps is; it will cut back to 2 comps. Each comp will have 2 divisions. I personally think that Penola, Narracoorte and Bordertown should join the Western Border.

Have heard 2 clubs are looking at joining the western border next year. Anyone heard anything. I am guessing one of those clubs is penola, who would the other club be?

Ive heard things but the other leagues aren't in immediate trouble so no one is in a hurry. Naracoorte and Penola might be thinking about it but could be years as things are ticking over Ok where they are.
Don't know if anyone can make anyone do anything like Victoria can.

That's all I've been hearing when I talk to people but maybe things are on the move

Remove this Banner Ad

Back