Teams Wests Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely Staines isn't pushing Laurie into the 14?
Be interesting as both left penriff because they couldn’t play FB there.

Be interesting as both left penriff because they couldn’t play FB there.
I really don't rate Staines. I live in Penrith (and my best mate is the media manager for the Panthers) so I've seen a lot of him growing through the ranks.

He's bloody quick which made him look good through the ranks below but just having speed isn't enough at the top level.

As you say, will be interesting to see how that unfolds.

Messy parting of ways with Hastings is sad viewing. Not sure what all the posturing is about.
Is there any truth to these Moses returning rumors ?

Hastings was a Madge supporter. Cant have him staying around :drunk:

Teflon is already starting to screw things up.
There was a reason why he was dumped and yet the board gets him back. DERRRRR

There is a lot of talk that Sheens wants Moses back at the Tigers. This seems very strange to me mainly because I don't rate Moses all that highly and certainly not at the high salary that has been mentioned.

I hope this doesn't happen.

329243136_567761648742129_7132550398523022921_n.jpg

Imagine being a Club where you have to pay overs for blokes who are only in it for the $$$$$$

The $2.1m Moses tug-of-war between Eels and Tigers and why its dragged on this long

Revealed: The $2.1m Moses tug-of-war between Eels and Tigers and why its dragged on this long
James Hooper from Fox Sports
February 15th, 2023 2:01 pm
WITH the clock ticking on a Mitch Moses contract decision it’s worth noting the $2 million difference in the tug-of-war between the Parramatta Eels and Wests Tigers for the services of the NRL’s most in-demand no.7

The Tigers – hell-bent on landing a marquee playmaker to help guide the club back towards the finals – are prepared to offer Moses a five-year deal valued at around the $1.3 million per season mark.

Parramatta – fresh off riding a September wave all the way into the club’s first grand final appearance in 13 seasons – are remaining slightly more fiscally-responsible with a four-year deal around the $1.1 million mark.

Crunch the numbers and the Wests Tigers offer ends up being a $6.5 million deal compared to the Parramatta Eels offer of $4.4 million.

Despite the $2.1 million difference, Moses told the media as recently as last week the decision will be based on winning premierships rather than money.

Turning 29 in September, it makes sense as the playmaker moves into what should be the best years of his career.

But $2.1 million is still a hell of a lot of money and in many respects explains why the Moses contract negotiations have stretched almost all the way to round one of the 2023 season.

Prior to Christmas, the word being pushed to Parramatta, Wests Tigers and at that stage the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs were still in the picture as well was Moses was expected to make a decision prior to December 25.

That deadline has now well and truly passed as Parramatta’s opening game of the season against Melbourne on March 2 rapidly approaches.

It’s easy to mount strong arguments about why Moses should remain in the blue and gold or conversely why he should return to his local junior club.

At Parramatta, the Eels have been one of the NRL’s most consistent sides for the past four seasons remaining in the top eight or top four since the low point of the wooden spoon in 2018.

They’ve also heavily-invested in Moses developing into the all-round no.7 he is today after signing him from the Wests Tigers midway through 2017 when the Eels went on to finish top four before the wheels fell off in 2018 and coach Brad Arthur had to undergo a major roster overhaul.

On the flip side at the Wests Tigers the club is clearly finally beginning to take some steps in the right direction under Tim Sheens prior to Benji Marshall taking control as the head coach in 2025.

So if Moses was to make the switch he gets 12-months under Sheens and then another four seasons with Benji at the helm, Api Korisau at dummy-half and the Tigers on an upward trajectory for the first time in ten seasons.

Speak to people at both clubs and it’s a constantly shifting landscape where one day they genuinely think they’re in the box seat and then 24 hours later and it’s been completely flipped on its head.

From what Moses said last week the guessing game shouldn’t go on for too much longer.

When you strip it all back, there’s an argument the playmaker can’t lose either way.
If you are going to offer him that much, then by all means, take him off our hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Canberra weren’t out of first gear all day but I did see some positives today.
There should be definite improvements across the paddock this season

Canberra weren’t out of first gear all day but I did see some positives today.
There should be definite improvements across the paddock this season

100% especially with a much better pack and Api controlling the ruck. If Douehi can remain injury free I think they're smokey for a top 8 finish.

100% especially with a much better pack and Api controlling the ruck. If Douehi can remain injury free I think they're smokey for a top 8 finish.
Douehi makes a huge difference. He actually plays with a lot of heart and pride.

Me too, don’t think we make the 8 but I expect a lot more than the shite we served up last season.

I see no reason why we can't. We have arguably improved and despite how s**t we were last season we were still in with a shout of finishing in the 8 late in the season. We just need to not have those patches where we are great for a couple of weeks then absolute crap for the next month.

Is that even possible?

Unfortunately, yes. Doueihi essentially had to play 5/8th and half-back since Brooks was so terrible. There was one passage where Brooks had a simple ball over the top to Naden (IIRC) for a try in the corner but instead rifled it into I think it was Papali'i's head.

Someone on Reddit in the match thread said something along the lines of the team would be lucky to have 100 IQ points between them all with Doueihi covering 99 of those.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back