Games & Recreation What are the odds of pocketing the 8 ball off the break?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm talking about a standard game of pool, 15 balls racked up to begin. I was able to pull it off a couple nights ago.

Eight_Ball_Rack_2005_SeanMcClean.jpg

I'm not comparing it to a hole in one or anything like that. but genuinely the 8 ball doesn't move or least some inches after a break.

I wouldn't be surprised if I had seen it happen 10 times Dan.

Then again, I'm probably a bit older than you, grew up with a table, and have spent plenty of time in the pubs playing.

Am i the only one who noticed that the triangle in the picture is wrong???

No "L" or whatever it is meant to be? and 3 twins

edit - "its a J" yeah?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is the result of the game if the black ball is potted on the break?
Depends what the rules are. There is no one set of rules - i think each state has a different professional 8 ball rules and then there's other sets of rules as well. In a pub it's really who owns the table sets the rules but given no one really sets this out before the game the best way to do it is the challenger pays for another game and they start again. Otherwise the owner of the table will call it "you lose the game" if the challenger breaks, and "I win the game" if he is the one who has broken.

I must say it annoys me in a pub when people try to say "my set of rules are the actual correct rules". Got no time for 2 shot foul or not being able to shoot backwards. Typically rules favoured by s**t players.

I have done it a few times.

I don't think it's that statistically startling.
Agree.
Relatively common place event.

Doing it on purpose regularly may be a different story though.

I must say it annoys me in a pub when people try to say "my set of rules are the actual correct rules". Got no time for 2 shot foul or not being able to shoot backwards. Typically rules favoured by s**t players.
Hate 'pub' rules too, although what's the penalty for a foul if you don't get two shots? Respot wherever you like? There has to be some kind of penalty

Hate 'pub' rules too, although what's the penalty for a foul if you don't get two shots? Respot wherever you like? There has to be some kind of penalty
You're better off without a penalty (or ball in hand/respot where you like) for these reasons:

1. Good players will pot out too often with 2 shots. The penalty is too harsh
2. Linked to point 1, because the penalty is too harsh it induces people to play safe and less risky pool. Bad on the eye. You want players going for their shots. Makes for far more attractive pool
3. Both players have the same advantage and disadvantage. Or maybe it favours the brave. That's a good thing

I don't mind ball in hand (Some call it Ball in Hansen).

Reasons why the "no shooting backwards" rule is dumbest rule ever:

One player is on the black, the other has 5, 6, or 7 balls. The player on the black has a massive and probably deserved lead. s**t player fouls. Because the good player has only the black and the other player has most of his balls on the table, it often makes it very hard to shoot backwards, off the cushion, and miss all the s**t player's balls to hit the black.

The player in front should not be penalised for his opponent's foul. A seriously f***ing stupid rule.

And to make it worse: some people play foul on the black losers. So you're smashing someone, they foul, and because they play this stupid no shooting backwards rule, you have to double off the back cushion, dodge all their balls and if you don't touch the black first, or sink the white you lose.

Essentially rules to help re****s feel good about themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back