Feedback What I hate about BigFooty - 10 years on

Remove this Banner Ad

Critical = Beautiful!

Even though there was no premiership in the end and came up second best our team had a great year thanks to our great supporters who are of course critical of the team. I remember after our ugly loss to Hawthorn in the middle of the season, we copped a sh*tload of criticism from the fans and the team put their butts together.

But yeah, when your team is playing like rubbish and they start blaming the umpires. And even if the umpiring was more fair in the GF (Jacobs deliberate, the play on call, Betts was held) I'm not sure if we would have still won. We played awful that day, maybe distracted by the pride factor, perhaps one of those calls, that stance during the anthem and I remember they got booed like crazy for doing it. I cannot fully blame the umpiring, oh yeah it was not great but I knew for sure Richmond were playing to win and we had to match it the same way, we got too ahead of ourselves and boom. Richmond (and others such as Port) fans making fun of us fine, you get what you deserve. It happens everywhere in sport.
I wasn't actually being critical, but I get I didn't express that, my bad. I think the Crows and West Coast boards are objective and with a high average in terms of footy knowledge.
I'm jealous somewhat, as our club needs to mature so do our supporters. Currently it's either old bastards like me who've adopted the club or new Aussie rules supporters mostly.

I made the request. So am reminding you again now. PM for new badges with you tagged into it along with Doss and NFL board mod. And the new Sci-Fi sub-board, multiple people tagged you when someone posted the idea in the last jedi thread, that we should have a sci-fi sub-board. No response.

The badges are up. I don’t know about a Sci-fi board but if you can get a dozen people to vote for it we can give it a try.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I personally believe the site would be much MUCH better if the like system was removed.

It would cut out so much crap from threads, and have people actually discuss footy rather than like whore with some shitty gif or gag.

The difference in thread footy discussion between post & pre-like Bigfooty is chalk and cheese IMO.

I personally believe the site would be much MUCH better if the like system was removed.

It would cut out so much crap from threads, and have people actually discuss footy rather than like whore with some shitty gif or gag.

The difference in thread footy discussion between post & pre-like Bigfooty is chalk and cheese IMO.
Actually, I do agree with this. More trouble than it's worth.
Also, i don't think anyone ever sorts a thread or board to view posts by most liked -- which is the point of having them. People always still use the basic thread view which is oldest first, and they enjoy following a thread that way, following along the conversations. It's a discussion board. Whereas a site like Youtube they are often sorted by "most liked" comments, for a reason. But it's not really a place people go to to engage in on-going discussion. It's more of a site you visit to watch a video, and surf for a few hours, jumping from video to video. No time to stop and really chat.

I highly doubt bf admin would consider getting rid of likes. Many posters get big dopamine hits when their post gets lots of likes, and lots of dopamine rewards posters to stay on the site.

Actually, I do agree with this. More trouble than it's worth.
Also, i don't think anyone ever sorts a thread or board to view posts by most liked -- which is the point of having them. People always still use the basic thread view which is oldest first, and they enjoy following a thread that way, following along the conversations. It's a discussion board. Whereas a site like Youtube they are often sorted by "most liked" comments, for a reason. But it's not really a place people go to to engage in on-going discussion. It's more of a site you visit to watch a video, and surf for a few hours, jumping from video to video. No time to stop and really chat.

Yep, I know the like system in theory was put in place so people could agree without clogging threads by saying "I agree", but I'd contend it's even more clogged and discussion quality has declined big time.

I struggle to read my clubs own board because it's all like whoring. No actual discussion seems to take place anymore.

I highly doubt bf admin would consider getting rid of likes. Many posters get big dopamine hits when their post gets lots of likes, and lots of dopamine rewards posters to stay on the site.

Yep, this is the exact problem now. It's not about the best discussion, it's all about them likes and the feels from getting them. I find that's all discussion is centred around.

Yep, I know the like system in theory was put in place so people could agree without clogging threads by saying "I agree", but I'd contend it's even more clogged and discussion quality has declined big time.

I struggle to read my clubs own board because it's all like whoring. No actual discussion seems to take place anymore.

Yep, this is the exact problem now. It's not about the best discussion, it's all about them likes and the feels from getting them. I find that's all discussion is centred around.
Agreed But I think it's more the posters than the system. I like humour but often cheap shots are "liked" and good analysis that contributes to the discussion less so. This is effectively training for cheap shots in my view.

Is there anything more hysterical in this world than crying about a 'left-wing agenda' on the internet?
Crying? Hysterical?

I just find it odd. It's almost as if it's intentional; which is not how a forum that largely has nothing to do with politics should be moderated.

You're not helping your cause by having to exaggerate everything I say just so you can try and prove a point.

Agreed But I think it's more the posters than the system. I like humour but often cheap shots are "liked" and good analysis that contributes to the discussion less so. This is effectively training for cheap shots in my view.

In Xenforo communities I read many people want to remove, disable, or minimize likes. And often the retort is......."Personally I don't see Likes as a popularity contest or a competition to get the highest number. To me, they are a great way for users to show that they like or agree with something without them feeling the need to make a post to do so." Which is exactly what the complaint is about -- people aren't posting as much because they can get away with "liking" something instead. And, that response is often deluded, because IT IS a popularity contest. Often I see an argument raging in a thread, and people on one side, get hundreds of likes from people on their own side, and people on the other side get hundreds of likes from people on their own side. Like it gets a little bitchy. I of course just like everything as a way to show "hey im enjoying the debate from both sides". But as a person who likes everything people end up railing against me for clogging up their alerts with likes, such that they end up even hating me :(

It's more trouble than it's worth.

Perhaps there's an alternative "button" Xenforo has in it's system that we can use instead of "likes". Something cleverer.

Like this thing Chief ???

A post ratings thing instead of a like...

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/post-ratings-taking-likes-to-the-next-level.410/

-2gp.gif

Crying? Hysterical?

I just find it odd. It's almost as if it's intentional; which is not how a forum that largely has nothing to do with politics should be moderated.

You're not helping your cause by having to exaggerate everything I say just so you can try and prove a point.
Thanks, I'll take my left wing agenda more seriously in future.

In Xenforo communities I read many people want to remove, disable, or minimize likes. And often the retort is......."Personally I don't see Likes as a popularity contest or a competition to get the highest number. To me, they are a great way for users to show that they like or agree with something without them feeling the need to make a post to do so." Which is exactly what the complaint is about -- people aren't posting as much because they can get away with "liking" something instead. And, that response is often deluded, because IT IS a popularity contest. Often I see an argument raging in a thread, and people on one side, get hundreds of likes from people on their own side, and people on the other side get hundreds of likes from people on their own side. Like it gets a little bitchy. I of course just like everything as a way to show "hey im enjoying the debate from both sides". But as a person who likes everything people end up railing against me for clogging up their alerts with likes, such that they end up even hating me :(

It's more trouble than it's worth.

Perhaps there's an alternative "button" Xenforo has in it's system that we can use instead of "likes". Something cleverer.

Like this thing Chief ???

A post ratings thing instead of a like...

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/post-ratings-taking-likes-to-the-next-level.410/

-2gp.gif
I see it a little differently but I get we're all biased to people who agree with us, and thus take your point.
Love the concept of rating posts, whether it's practical I got no idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see it a little differently but I get we're all biased to people who agree with us, and thus take your point.
Love the concept of rating posts, whether it's practical I got no idea.

Or instead of that..... how about a simple 5 empty stars showing, and people can literally rate a post from 1 to 5 stars.

Hate to drag up an old thread
Just a suggestion for admin and mind you I have a bad track record on here, let me know if I've broken any rules, sorry if I have

Maybe there could be a demerit system on here where posters lose their infraction points (5 at a time) every two-three years if they haven't received a suspension and mods think they've changed their personality on here. Similar to the Vic Police/TAC where if you drive your demerit points are rubbed off after a few years. Just a suggestion

Points expire after 12 months

Are there any mods that don't have a left-wing agenda?

Yes

I made the request. So am reminding you again now. PM for new badges with you tagged into it along with Doss and NFL board mod. And the new Sci-Fi sub-board, multiple people tagged you when someone posted the idea in the last jedi thread, that we should have a sci-fi sub-board. No response.

Where do you stop, fantasy sub board? Comic book movies? Doccos? Reality? Crime?

But yeah, when your team is playing like rubbish and they start blaming the umpires. And even if the umpiring was more fair in the GF (Jacobs deliberate, the play on call, Betts was held) I'm not sure if we would have still won.

You're 'not sure' that if the umpiring had been 'more fair' you would have won a game that you lost by 48 points? How very gracious of you.

I totally disagree. In fact I dislike your statement.

How do you figure that out? Before we had all these b.s., trolling congratulatory back-up blurts with no information.
If we had a dislike button I could have just pressed that on this occasion and saved a lot of time.

The difference in thread footy discussion between post & pre-like Bigfooty is chalk and cheese IMO

IMO, on the forums I visit, there has been a vast improvement in the reduction of unnecessary posting and a dislike button might remove even more trolling.
The idea of keeping feedback solely for the poster keeps the system from being another trolling war.

I totally disagree. In fact I dislike your statement.

How do you figure that out? Before we had all these b.s., trolling congratulatory back-up blurts with no information.
If we had a dislike button I could have just pressed that on this occasion and saved a lot of time.

IMO, on the forums I visit, there has been a vast improvement in the reduction of unnecessary posting and a dislike button might remove even more trolling.
The idea of keeping feedback solely for the poster keeps the system from being another trolling war.
I remember at one point there was a like/ dislike (and even multiple options of responses, I remember a rainbow being there) lasted about 48 hours

I
IMO, on the forums I visit, there has been a vast improvement in the reduction of unnecessary posting

You're entitled to your opinion, but the unnecessary posting has been replaced with a worse kind of posting in my opinion. It's the same on each of the forums that I visit.

As I said, I used to read the Richmond board, but it's really a waste of time now. It's hard to come across actual football discussion, and has been that way for some time now.

Your join date is 2015, so you have only known Bigfooty with a like system.

How do you figure that out?
The "3x" might mean it is not his first account.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back