Discussion What if? Aflw teams not associated with the Aflm teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
There is a thought that goes through my mind with women's footy being started in 2017 (as it did) but the afl decided that it would be a good idea to have no actual association with the men's teams.
So if you were starting the aflw in the context of brand new teams (can have associations with state leagues clubs, whatever you think would be the best option) for a women's competition. How many clubs, when would each start, what would the guernseys and logos look like, will the afl clubs have any association with a women's team?

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
Morphettville Park would be a candidate probably (aside from SANFL clubs).
1642803455103.png
1642804181620.png

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Would be interesting who would go in Sydney. The Sydney uni is the obvious choice. But maybe a combined Sydney side that is run outside of the afl teams. Southport is an obvious choice for the Gold Coast region.

rabbitoh21

Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many
It's going to sound awful but I'm not sure how the AFLW would have gotten so popular without the established clubs. I think using the existing clubs give fans an easy vector into dipping their toes into the women's comp, whilst also boosting the profiles of the athletes. The only tradeoff is that if your own club isn't involved in the competition (as is still happening in the NRL) it's harder to want to support it, particularly if your rival club is in (like the Roosters having a team as a Souths fan). Definitely didn't spend a game supporting the Dragons just to boo another Roosters team (before a Roosters v Rabbitohs final, just to be clear).

The other question revolves around resources - money, facilities and staff. Would a second- or third-tier club be able to support an elite, national side? Can they help develop their female athletes into the same standard as the other female codes who are using established clubs? Would it have made the league attractive for the numerous basketballers, footballers and netballers who jumped to the AFLW?

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
It's going to sound awful but I'm not sure how the AFLW would have gotten so popular without the established clubs. I think using the existing clubs give fans an easy vector into dipping their toes into the women's comp, whilst also boosting the profiles of the athletes. The only tradeoff is that if your own club isn't involved in the competition (as is still happening in the NRL) it's harder to want to support it, particularly if your rival club is in (like the Roosters having a team as a Souths fan). Definitely didn't spend a game supporting the Dragons just to boo another Roosters team (before a Roosters v Rabbitohs final, just to be clear).

The other question revolves around resources - money, facilities and staff. Would a second- or third-tier club be able to support an elite, national side? Can they help develop their female athletes into the same standard as the other female codes who are using established clubs? Would it have made the league attractive for the numerous basketballers, footballers and netballers who jumped to the AFLW?
All very valid points. This is why I liked the set up of the competition. The AFL did have their aim for expansion too to make the pill a little bit better to swallow knowing our team wasn't far away!

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon

You are right. Im sure the afl would of put in the money to develop the womens game as they have done, the facilities would of been a key difference between the two options. The obvious problem that occurs with the aflw teams is the same problem that exists in the afl, the amount of teams in melbourne and the in ability to spread the clubs across the country. It seems like they did attempt that with North melbourne, and how essendon orignally pitched themselves (having a key base in the tiwis), but it seems that this idea has been dropped. I think it would of been interesting to see how a competition with all new sides or a mix of new and established teams would be an interesting topic to explore (hence the thread). My main thinking behind the thread was that the amount of teams would be able to gradually expand over time and not just rush into getting 18 teams on board.

Unrelated, but i do find the nrlw an odd competition, with the nrl not caring anywhere near as much as the afl cares about the aflw. Maybe they should of created new teams, idk. maybe they should of just put the money and time in to build a strong competition with more then 4, now 6, teams.

rabbitoh21

Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many
You are right. Im sure the afl would of put in the money to develop the womens game as they have done, the facilities would of been a key difference between the two options. The obvious problem that occurs with the aflw teams is the same problem that exists in the afl, the amount of teams in melbourne and the in ability to spread the clubs across the country. It seems like they did attempt that with North melbourne, and how essendon orignally pitched themselves (having a key base in the tiwis), but it seems that this idea has been dropped. I think it would of been interesting to see how a competition with all new sides or a mix of new and established teams would be an interesting topic to explore (hence the thread). My main thinking behind the thread was that the amount of teams would be able to gradually expand over time and not just rush into getting 18 teams on board.

Unrelated, but i do find the nrlw an odd competition, with the nrl not caring anywhere near as much as the afl cares about the aflw. Maybe they should of created new teams, idk. maybe they should of just put the money and time in to build a strong competition with more then 4, now 6, teams.
The NRL have the issue of a much lower player base as it is - the players I've met who play women's league have either come from union or league tag (which is basically NRL rules but tags instead of tackling) or the touch leagues. The AFLW seemed to draw players in from a bunch of other sports - having 5/8 states and territories to yourself makes it much easier, I'd say.

The NRL also started much smaller because they wanted the league to be competitive from the very beginning - unfortunately, this failed as Brisbane dominate. The "girls" hit hard and play hard, but they still don't seem the same quality of player as the AFL do - having only 3, maybe 4 (if you make the Grand Final) elite level games a season will do that to you.

The NRL also briefly launched a mens and womens touch comp, if you remember. A lot of NRLW talent came from there - but the sports are quite different (hence why Shaun Johnson and Benji Marshall both wowed and flopped at different times early on in their tenures).

I think the first national ressies comp for the AFLW will be its big test. I wonder if they can sustain any second tier clubs at the moment that could viably compete interstate without needing constant help from the AFL. The AFL will likely persist in any case but unless they can make the league(s) able to sustain themselves without assistance in the next 5-10 years the experiment won't succeed. The AFL won't keep plundering money into a dying league, so support needs to come from the clubs themselves and the box office - thankfully the AFLW seems to get good attendance so there is clearly strong support that can hopefully be converted into financial success.

Back