What is Perth's best suburb?

Remove this Banner Ad

The best place to live is the southern end of Swanbourne - walk to claremont, walk to cott, old naked shielas on the beach what more could you want!

I like the suburbs with restaurant strips...

So Mt Lawley, Leederville, Subiaco, Vic Park (Albany Hwy), Fremantle, West Perth, South Perth etc...

So I've been out of Perth for a bit, and I am going to be selling up out of Sydney in the next couple of years (when the prices swing up a tad more). Where should I be looking in Perth? And what the hell are with all these new northern suburbs I've barely heard of? NoR only please, and with some value.

Freo is the biggest bogan hole ever created west of the rabbit-proof fence.

I would even go so far as to say the Dockers actually raise the tone of the place.

Biggest bogan hole eh sunny.........ever been to Joondalup??

The mere notion of you being a mod, just does my head in.:rolleyes:;)

Peppermint Grove by a fair margin, followed by Dalkeith, Cottesloe and City Beach.

My favourite is Mosman Park - good access to public transport to the city, very close to the beach (Cottosloe), very close to the river, short drive to Claremont, close to lots of parks/reserves and golf courses.

Biggest bogan hole eh sunny.........ever been to Joondalup??

The mere notion of you being a mod, just does my head in.:rolleyes:;)

What's the matter with Joondalup? The only s**t thing about Joondalup is the train station, the rest is fine. There are actually some nice houses in Joondalup as well as a uni campus, a TAFE, a shopping centre (which is being extended) and a mini CBD area.

It's a nice place (and no I don't live in the suburb of Joondalup). ;)

Peppy Grove is just snob central, nothing in the area except for rich people...if you want value, it's gotta be Cottesloe! :thumbsu:

What's the matter with Joondalup? The only s**t thing about Joondalup is the train station, the rest is fine. There are actually some nice houses in Joondalup as well as a uni campus, a TAFE, a shopping centre (which is being extended) and a mini CBD area.

It's a nice place (and no I don't live in the suburb of Joondalup). ;)

What's wrong with Joondalup??

What, apart from the fact that it is full of Eagle supporters!!;)

Nah, my mum has had a house there for nearly 20 years and in the past two or three years I have seen the residential part of the suburb decline rapidly.

The golden triangle. :)

Definitions vary but mine is North Freo/Mossie Park to City Beach to Subiaco.

The number of people who live in Claremont/Cottesloe and never move beyond a 5km radius (other than to go on overseas holidays) is amazing.

If you are not from perth, then you may sometimes hear in conversations: "G T". I know people who believe that they have never left GT in their lives. This is hard to believe of course. A lot of the Golden Triangle is probably what we'd term 'old money'.

Other tid bits of information. The richest man in Australia, Andrew Forrest, lives in Cottesloe. The most expensive Australian street and the street that has Australia's most expensive house is Saunders Street in Mosman Park, (valued at 85 million). That street is incredibly rich and has the most amazing views in Perth.

I probably think that Applecross is the leafiest and generally prettiest though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used lived in John St, Cottesloe for a number of years (in fact we still own the place there). I choose to pay rent by the beach in South Freo, rather than live at the beach in Cottesloe, where our unit stays empty lol. There's no 'grey' in Cott...either stuck up snobs who have their 11am coffee at the same place, and speak the same crapola every day, or meatheads from mainly outer suburbs pi$$ing/vomiting in your front yard, vandalising your car etc etc. Cott used to be good, with lots more of us country folk - you could have a swim and go to brekky without feeling the need to 'dress up'.

The two pubs are meatmarkets. Sooo many people at the beach that you have to swim under a 15m slick of sunscreen and bodily oils to get to clean water. Parking is crap!

Give me South Beach and South Freo any day. Eclectic range of people .... bohemian/artist crowd, hippies, ferals, families, and business people, not too pricey and just seems much more 'real world' to me.

Other tid bits of information. The richest man in Australia, Andrew Forrest, lives in Cottesloe. The most expensive Australian street and the street that has Australia's most expensive house is Saunders Street in Mosman Park, (valued at 85 million). That street is incredibly rich and has the most amazing views in Perth.

I probably think that Applecross is the leafiest and generally prettiest though.

When I was at uni I worked as a swimming pool boy in Mosman Park/Peppermint Grove and cleaned most of the pools on Saunders St.

Awesome homes though as they're all carved out of the cliff, lugging chlorine and 30kg pool salt up hundreds of steps sure took it out of you.

When I was at uni I worked as a swimming pool boy in Mosman Park/Peppermint Grove and cleaned most of the pools on Saunders St.

Awesome homes though as they're all carved out of the cliff, lugging chlorine and 30kg pool salt up hundreds of steps sure took it out of you.

Not to mention servicing all the bored housewives...

The problem with the Western Suburbs is that if your not a local, then your going to find it one snobby adventure.

I'm in Subi and its ok but when you head down to Mosman Park, Dalkeith, Peppy Grove.... then you'll really feel out of place.

The best suburb in Perth is Mt Lawly. The best of everything if you ask me.
Subi is pretty snobby as well if you ask me. You are bang on with Mt Lawley though best suburb Just behind Fremantle (though it is technically a city)
The golden triangle. :)

Definitions vary but mine is North Freo/Mossie Park to City Beach to Subiaco.

The number of people who live in Claremont/Cottesloe and never move beyond a 5km radius (other than to go on overseas holidays) is amazing.
Yep, I've got mates that won't leave the area, unless there is a very good reason. Though I'm not sure if I'd include north freo in the triangle.

As for anyone who mentioned peppermint grove, you must be confused, as there is no way in hell that peppermint grove is the best suburb. Perhaps the richest (big deal), with the best river views though what else is there?

I agree with Mt Lawley and the Western Suburbs.

East Freo is another great place to live. Close to the beach and there are some great views of the river.

Subi is pretty snobby as well if you ask me. You are bang on with Mt Lawley though best suburb Just behind Fremantle (though it is technically a city)

Yep, I've got mates that won't leave the area, unless there is a very good reason. Though I'm not sure if I'd include north freo in the triangle.

As for anyone who mentioned peppermint grove, you must be confused, as there is no way in hell that peppermint grove is the best suburb. Perhaps the richest (big deal), with the best river views though what else is there?

The only other place the yuppies may trek outside of GT is to Lake Karrinyup Country Club. You only see Taylormade golf clubs there...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back