what is the most remote aka middle of f**king nowhere you've been to/seen

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a few Ovals on Kangaroo Island that are basically in the middle of nowhere and you wonder how the hell anyone plays there.

Gosse Oval (Western Districts FC). Gosse is basically a few houses and some farms towards the Western end of KI, about an hour or more out of Kingscote and maybe just under an hour out of Parndana (KIs third biggest town)

"Panther Park" or Bay Of Shoals Oval, home of Wisanger FC. It's on one of the back roads that goes to Emu Bay or Stokes Bay.

And.... KIs own MCG. The MacGillivray Cricket Ground. Home of the MacGillivray Cricket club. It's not on any main road and if you end up there it's entirely by accident. It's past one of the honey farms off a dirt road.

Not on KI, but Wokurna Oval is in the Mid North /top of Yorke Peninsula and again if you end up in Wokurna it's either by accident or Ivan Milats brother has kidnapped you.

I played with the Leinster Bulldogs, WA, in 1988 and 1989, in the North Eastern Goldfields competition.

There were three (3) teams in the comp. us, Leonora and Laverton. We were the most northerly of the teams, we were 135km from Leonora, 270km from Laverton and 370km north of Kalgoorlie.

From memory, we played each other side 5 times each for the h&a and at the end of that, whoever finished top went straight to the gf and the gf was played at their ground. Whoever finished 2nd hosted the pf, so you could lose every h&a game and still win the flag.

The away games against Laverton were huge. The host would put on the grog and a sheep and a goat either on a spit or in a hangi. We would drink the whole 270km bus ride home and if on night shift, we'd get poured out of the bus on the mine site, clock on and then flake it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woodsdale and Pawtella (Mt Pleasant) football grounds (sheep paddocks) in Central Tasmania.
Both play in the Oatlands District Football Association.
In the middle of absolutely nowhere is a pretty apt description - and COLD!

Woodsdale and Pawtella (Mt Pleasant) football grounds (sheep paddocks) in Central Tasmania.
Both play in the Oatlands District Football Association.
In the middle of absolutely nowhere is a pretty apt description - and COLD!

100% correct there! Mt Pleasant annihilates Woodsdale though only being 5 minutes from the Midlands Highway and much better standard of playing surface and facilities.

Many years ago worked at the Goldmines in the Tanami Desert, Groundrush and The Granites, which are (or were back then) officially the most remote mine sites in Australia

Anakie outside of Geelong.

Last time I played there the structure they so call “club rooms” was a tin shed with a leaking roof.

There are a number of grounds in the Horsham District Football League that are in the middle of nowhere, I've made it to Pimpinio, Taylors Lake, Balmorral, Natimuk, Quantong and of course Kalkee this year. I don't drive, so when I can't catch a lift, these trips can cost upwards of $50-$60 each way, as the one taxi company in Horsham appears to charge for a return trip if you go a certain distance . As a city boy for the first 40 years of my life, it's a real experience to travel to a footy ground surrounded by fields and not much else, one that I have thoroughly enjoyed.

I've been getting to a few country grand finals and so far I'd say Katandra West and Serpentine are my biggest middle of nowheres. I've also been to Dunnstown and Wallace for regular games because the Central Highlands area is a nice place.

I saw that Lochiel Oval hosted one of the SA country league GFs this year which was surprising as I've driven through there heaps and didn't realise they even had an oval. I'd guess it was a long time since they had a football club there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back