What would an ideal Tasmanian league look like?

Remove this Banner Ad

Launceston
Ulverstone
Burnie
Devonport
Sandy Bay
Glenorchy
New Norfolk
North Hobart

in 1981 maybe...
I’m not a Tassie boy, just related to a heap but even I can see how 3 sides on the north coast (Devonport, Ulverstone and Burnie) and one Launnie side wouldn’t work or make sense. Ulverstone doesn’t get a seat, the other two should.

Once Tassie gets into the $FL they will have their Ressies in the VFL so realistically there will be no further need for a State league in Tassie but a better setup of the SFL and NTFL, probably to an extent the NWFL also.

CHFL
Same

DFL
Same

ODFA
Same

KIFL
Same

NWFL
Same

NTFL Premier - 10
Burnie
Circular Head
Devonport
Hillwood
Latrobe
Launceston
North Launceston
Penguin
Ulverstone
Wynyard

NTFL 1 - 10
Bracknell
Bridgenorth
Deloraine
George Town
Longford
Rocherlea
South Launceston
Scottsdale
St Patrick's
Old Scotch

NTFL 2 - 8
Bridport
East Coast
Evandale
Lilydale
Meander Valley
Old Launy
Perth
UTAS

SFL A - 10
Clarence
Cygnet
Glenorchy
Huonville
Kingborough
Lauderdale
Lindisfarne
North Hobart
Brighton
Claremont

SFL B - 10
Dodges Ferry
New Norfolk
Sorrell
Hobart
DOSA
Hutchins
OHA
St Virgils
Richmond
Uni

Tasmania Football premiers is won by the winner from previous season getting Rd 1 bye (say SFL).
Round 1:
CHFL play KIFL
DFL play ODFA
NWFA play NTFL

Round 2 is randomised:
ODFA play NTFL
SFL
play KIFL

Round 3
SFL play NTFL

Winner is the Tasmainian Champ

Once Tassie gets into the $FL they will have their Ressies in the VFL so realistically there will be no further need for a State league in Tassie but a better setup of the SFL and NTFL, probably to an extent the NWFL also.

CHFL
Same

DFL
Same

ODFA
Same

KIFL
Same

NWFL
Same

NTFL Premier - 10
Burnie
Circular Head
Devonport
Hillwood
Latrobe
Launceston
North Launceston
Penguin
Ulverstone
Wynyard

NTFL 1 - 10
Bracknell
Bridgenorth
Deloraine
George Town
Longford
Rocherlea
South Launceston
Scottsdale
St Patrick's
Old Scotch

NTFL 2 - 8
Bridport
East Coast
Evandale
Lilydale
Meander Valley
Old Launy
Perth
UTAS

SFL A - 10
Clarence
Cygnet
Glenorchy
Huonville
Kingborough
Lauderdale
Lindisfarne
North Hobart
Brighton
Claremont

SFL B - 10
Dodges Ferry
New Norfolk
Sorrell
Hobart
DOSA
Hutchins
OHA
St Virgils
Richmond
Uni

Tasmania Football premiers is won by the winner from previous season getting Rd 1 bye (say SFL).
Round 1:
CHFL play KIFL
DFL play ODFA
NWFA play NTFL

Round 2 is randomised:
ODFA play NTFL
SFL
play KIFL

Round 3
SFL play NTFL

With Tas state league side most likely joining the AFL reserves comp over the VFL does this change your opinion on a main Tas State League. I can see the argument for just having 2 or 3 major leagues and the lower teirs under them.

Round 1:
CHFL play KIFL
DFL play ODFA
NWFA play NTFL

Round 2 is randomised:
ODFA play NTFL
SFL
play KIFL

Round 3
SFL play NTFL

I like the idea of the premiers of Circular Head, Darwin, King Island and Oatlands playing off for a Country Championship.

Played at the one centre over a weekend with two matches each day.

e.g. Saturday - CHFL premier v ODFA premier followed by DFA premier v KIFA premier.
Sunday - two winners in the final and the two losers in a playoff for third.

You could do it as a club-based series or even as rep footy.

King Island would be uncompetitive. These days, they play around a dozen a side, with open registrations in case a visitor who says he played footy once visits that weekend...!

If you were ranking the leagues, the numbers seem to show that the tiers below the four big comps stratify like this:
Top: NTFA 2
Next: DFA, Old Scholars
Then: NWFA, ODFA
Then: CHFA
Last: KIFA

Need my docs to see if I've missed anyone...? These are going great, by the way...s**t tons of material obtained since last summer, and constant CTRL V/C is not helping my arthritis...! Simon, Kingpin, Phil, plus others...too many champions to salute...!

Locals could argue these, I could be wrong, but it looks that way from the results and numbers from the pov of an invested outsider...!

Locals could also contest my thought that the two big NW local leagues, DFA and NWFA, could swap or relegate sides because some are perennially bad...would a combined stratified league put players off if they didn't want to travel the 50km between Burnie and Devonport...? Motton Preston and South Burnie make every GF, while West Ulverstone have a few sides to compete with for players, never mind the atrocity that is East Devonport's absence from any comp. We've just lost Spreyton, and a few others over the years, all of them required to field two sides...meanwhile the ODFA, 5 of the 7 anyway, put out a decent product with no seconds, and the Old Scholars cruise along sometimes paying elite players more than the TSL can...!

It would just be great if we created a landscape where smaller communities are encouraged to reform their teams that have been missing for years, and we actually saw leagues expand. We know it will never look like the 1950's, with every town having two or more sides in tons of leagues across the state, but if you want to play serious footy or alternatively if you want to sit around in the back pocket at forty making the kids do all the running before chugging a beer at half time, you should be able to do either without watching your team fold...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back