Opinion Which 5 of our young players are you most excited about?

Which 5 young players?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Prince: Charlie could be anything, will be top 10 player in the comp by seasons end.

Big H: The most important player on our list, why, he could become elite within 12 games! Move over Charlie...

SPS: In close he has diesel like vision and a gift to distribute at will. The game slows down when he is in possession, freakish ability and now fit!

Setters: All my eggs are in this blokes basket, I'm going out on a limb here but everything points to this being the steal of the century. Reminds me of Fyfe!

Stocker: The unknown. I'll be willing this kid to be great. If he is anywhere near being good, it will accelerate for leap up the ladder by 12 months.

Thats enough pumping up from me...

Charlie Curnow - Cos Charlie
Harry Mckay - Love watching him play, good in the air and great on the ground for a guy his size. Finds space in the fwd line so well. Will be a very hard matchup especially with the addition of McGovern.
Paddy Dow - Burst speed is king and Paddy has it in spades.
Sam Walsh - Now this is probably going more on reputation as I've only seen highlights, but he sounds exactly like the bulk accumulator we need.
Liam Stocker - Getting a little Dusty vibe from this kid, looks like a goal kicker from his highlights.

I suppose there can be different ways to interpret any question, but given the basic reading of the question i can't believe that Charlie hasn't got 100% of the vote . Any coach in the league would kill for him. Any fan in the league would kill for him.

With that out of the way:), my list is:

Charlie
Dow
Walsh
SPS
Kennedy

Charlie i've already said it. Dow,Walsh and SPS i see as elite mids. Kennedy i see as the mid who makes others life easier, a real teammate's teammate.

I tossed up on Kennedy's inclusion and most of the others aren't far behind.

If Mitts McGovern was in the list i'd probably include him. Big fan and he's looking great fitness wise. I think his motivation now seems right and he is ripe to explode over the next few years and i'm glad we snared him. Him and Charlie can create havoc together.

One player i'll make a small mention on is Harry. I reckon he is a terrific prospect and he could go either way over the next 30 games. He could come on exponentially and become a key pea in his own right. Or he could become a David Hale type very good tall role player. Personally i lean toward the latter and that shouldn't be seen as talking him down or criticising him. He is a hugely interesting watch this year. I see him and TDK as the future tall combo doing their bit for a winning team.

I am contemplating dropping Setters for Weitering: should I?

Can I please hear arguments for and against.

Don't ask me I am excited about them all.

Weiters is Gold, bigger and stronger and can really read the ball and play.

Setters can't wait to see him. As someone else said I see Fyfe like potential.

Don't ask me I am excited about them all.

Weiters is Gold, bigger and stronger and can really read the ball and play.

Setters can't wait to see him. As someone else said I see Fyfe like potential.
wow, that's exactly what Nic, Nige, and Harl's said.

I'm amending my vote.

Charlie, Harry, Zac, Paddy, Walsh were my 5 but it's hard to limit it to just those. So many young guns.

If development goes right from here we may be comparing Cripps, Zac, Paddy, Walsh, SPS, and others as being one of the best young midfields in AFL history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an outsider stunned at the lack of love for Marchbank.
The love is there just not the same excitement due to injury.

Excited to see players play no sit on the sidelines. But, if he can get his body right, watch out, will be a weapon for us

Charlie - Obviously
Harry - In a few years could potentially be in Coleman discussions
SPS - It's time, first preseason, looking great, can't wait to see what he can do.
Fish - Quick, tough, great side step, great user of the footy, could set up a lot of goals this year and possibly kick one or two a game
Walsh - Hard not to get excited about a Number one Draft pick, let alone Sam Walsh.

BONUS ROUND
TDK - Long Term, Kid just has something.

I could pick all of them, but rules are rules, so

1. Charlie - Special player
2. Setterfield - Has it all. Amazing hands/skills for a taller player
3. Dow - Inside/Outside, Zip, Leader.
4. SPS - Combination of tough & silk.
5. H.McKay - Has speed, skills and a bit of mongrel all star key forwards have

Unlucky - O'Brien. Concerned about his family history

I could pick all of them, but rules are rules, so

Unlucky - O'Brien. Concerned about his family history

Rumours are circulating about his uncle. Worrying signs :)
(sort of an in-joke for people that don't get it)

Who knows who the best players may yet be, as every player there has a claim, even if a slightly more distant the for the obvious ones.
Feeling bad for leaving SPS out now, as I'm genuinely looking forward to what may come about this year and onwards.....and then there's him...and him..

Rumours are circulating about his uncle. Worrying signs :)
(sort of an in-joke for people that don't get it)

Who knows who the best players may yet be, as every player there has a claim, even if a slightly more distant the for the obvious ones.
Feeling bad for leaving SPS out now, as I'm genuinely looking forward to what may come about this year and onwards.....and then there's him...and him..

You should feel bad...!

Who made up these rules anyway, needs to have a long hard look at themselves....!

I am more interested in the five young players who are under the pump.
That's where the real added benefit will come from.
I mean we already know the ones who almost surely will become good players in time.

The ones I have earmarked as needing to show something are...

Cuningham.
Garlett.
Macreadie.
Kennedy.
Lang.

These are the ones who seem to be frequently injury prone and need to start getting on the park to develop.
Otherwise it'll be ta-ta at some stage.
football clubs don't wait forever.
Players are investments.
Not charity.

I haven't added Pickett to this list because he is as good as dusted for the year.
He is top of the list for 2020.

You should feel bad...!

Who made up these rules anyway, needs to have a long hard look at themselves....!

Yeah! Burn 'em at the stake, I say.

I feel that Charlie & Harry are somewhat one-offs for us, whereas Walsh can do a bit of SPS.
Dow is that burst player we'll be happy we have and Fisher will become a slippery accumulator.

Who knows, but right now are the five I'm looking forward to most and that may change in a couple of months time.

Back