Which side is closer to a premiership - Carlton or Essendon?

Which club is closer to a flag - Carlton or Essendon?

• Carlton

Votes: 153 47.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 75 23.4%
  • Neither in next 10 ywars

Votes: 92 28.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Please do go on. I'm all ears.

Just exactly how is my analysis incorrect?

I replied to a quote stating that Carlton are much more mature. How can this be measured? I chose average age.

I'm also reading everywhere that Essendon are a young team. That's blatantly false as they're in the top half of the league age-wise in most cases top third.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Let's use Collingwood as the most recent common opponent.

Carlton had more 27+ players in their game compared to Essendon but Essendon had the higher average.

Why?

Because Essendon have a 35 year old ruckman dragging the average up but Carlton have more mature players.

Hence "Essendon is older the average proves it" is poor analysis.

We were putrid at that time and kicked 6.16.
I wouldn't use that as a gauge for anything.
Both teams look to have improved since then.
And Essendon were on top of the world?

I'm just pointing out it's not unheard of for our defenders to hold Harry.

Players 30yo&>

Carlton Blues
2​
North Melbourne Kangaroos
2​
Adelaide Crows
4​
Essendon Bombers
4​
Fremantle Dockers
4​
Hawthorn Hawks
4​
Port Adelaide Power
4​
West Coast Eagles
5​
Gold Coast Suns
6​
GWS Giants
6​
St Kilda Saints
6​
Brisbane Lions
7​
Melbourne Demons
7​
Western Bulldogs
7​
Collingwood Magpies
9​
Richmond Tigers
9​
Sydney Swans
9​
Geelong Cats
11​

Players 30yo&>

Carlton Blues
2​
North Melbourne Kangaroos
2​
Adelaide Crows
4​
Essendon Bombers
4​
Fremantle Dockers
4​
Hawthorn Hawks
4​
Port Adelaide Power
4​
West Coast Eagles
5​
Gold Coast Suns
6​
GWS Giants
6​
St Kilda Saints
6​
Brisbane Lions
7​
Melbourne Demons
7​
Western Bulldogs
7​
Collingwood Magpies
9​
Richmond Tigers
9​
Sydney Swans
9​
Geelong Cats
11​
I mean really instead of this pissing contest we should all be united in laughing at the cliff Richmond are falling off.

They beat GWS without Coniglio and Sam Taylor. We beat a near full strength GWS.

Carlton beat GWS without Coniglio and Taylor by 19.
Essendon beat them near full-strength by 20.

Carlton lost to Adelaide at home. Essendon beat Adelaide away the next week.

Essendon drew to Collingwood and smashed their midfield. Carlton lost to Collingwood the next week.

And we weren't really smashed by Sydney. In fact, we smashed their midfield, but they are obviously premiership contenders for a reason. We are also a better team now than we were in the first couple of rounds.

I agree that we have a long way to go given what happened last year, but let's be honest. Carlton and Essendon have been pretty even based on form this year.
Comparing wins/losses against the same sides doesn't really translate into anything meaningful. I never mentioned or compared them to Blues. I was simply calling for caution about overreacting based off one win. I know that's just par for the course around here and in the media, where GF faves change week to week depending on who beats who(m?). I've stated that GWS was a good win, but this year it seems like anyone in the top 14 is capable of beating anyone on any given week.
A few result swaps and the ladder would be completely opposite for those 14 sides.

Based on last year's and this year's results, you'd have to say Blues are closer.
Based on this year only, it's harder to separate.
Blues are scratching out some wins while playing far from their best and have some good cattle still to come back in.
Dons seem to be playing better footy at the moment, but I haven't seen many of their games so far and I'm not sure what your injuries are like, or if there's likely to be any areas of improvement?

Our match up in a few weeks should be a good one, but I won't be basing who the better team is on which side wins.

i don't disagree with the general message but thumped by Swans?

what?

we lost 101-131.............
That's fair I guess, but allowing a team to score 131 is never good (same as us allowing 118 against Cats).
15.13 to 11.10 after quarter time. 36 scoring shots to 26.
I've seen a couple people say that you smashed them in the middle, but everything other than clearances from stoppages was pretty even.
Maybe not a thumping, but fairly one sided after half time.
It's just semantics really, as there's no specific definition for a thumping.

Comparing wins/losses against the same sides doesn't really translate into anything meaningful. I never mentioned or compared them to Blues. I was simply calling for caution about overreacting based off one win. I know that's just par for the course around here and in the media, where GF faves change week to week depending on who beats who(m?). I've stated that GWS was a good win, but this year it seems like anyone in the top 14 is capable of beating anyone on any given week.
A few result swaps and the ladder would be completely opposite for those 14 sides.

Based on last year's and this year's results, you'd have to say Blues are closer.
Blues are scratching out some wins while playing far from their best and have some good cattle still to come back in.
Dons seem to be playing better footy at the moment, but I haven't seen many of their games so far and I'm not sure what your injuries are like, or if there's likely to be any areas of improvement?

Our match up in a few weeks should be a good one, but I won't be basing who the better team is on which side wins.
Carlton are definitely closer to a premiership given each respective list profile and the fact that Carlton have proven themselves in finals.

We've had many injuries this year. Ridley and Reid in particular are important outs at the moment as their kicking out of defence helps us concede less goals from turnovers. Not to mention the intercepts they can provide our side, particularly Ridley as the loose man in defence.

As for our prospects, I won't get my hopes up until we're playing this way in September.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ridley is a massive out for us who should come in and significantly improve the side. Based on last year he’d have a solid argument to be our most important player

And Essendon were on top of the world?

I'm just pointing out it's not unheard of for our defenders to hold Harry.
It was 6th vs 14th at the time. We dropped to 15th after the loss.
The game last year was specifically mentioned, but I don't think there's much to be gained by using that to prove anything.

What do the average games played say? Bearing in mind Goldstein would skew that a lot too?
Yeah I went and did that as well.

It really backs my points up more than I thought it would.

There's only 2 games (Swans and Pies)where Essendon are the least experienced team in said game.

The least experienced team was in round two and since then they've been entrenched in the top 5 most experienced week in, week out.

As this is a Bombers/Blues thread, it's worth mentioning there hasn't been a single weekend, when both teams have played, that Carlton have run out with the more experienced squad. The most games our lads have run out with totals 2132 against North.

The least the Bombers have trotted out was in Round 2 with 2278 at the SCG.

There's only 2 games (Swans and Pies)where Essendon are the least experienced team in said game.

The least experienced team was in round two and since then they've been entrenched in the top 5 most experienced week in, week out.

As this is a Bombers/Blues thread, it's worth mentioning there hasn't been a single weekend, when both teams have played, that Carlton have run out with the more experienced squad. The most games our lads have run out with totals 2132 against North.

Interesting. This is Bigfooty though where it’s always better to be young than good so I figure it’s better to be you guys

Todd Goldstein alone is 324 so of course our average is out of whack. 244. If we rest he and Heppell for one game, that's 568 games experience wiped.

Todd Goldstein alone is 324 so of course our average is out of whack. 244. If we rest he and Heppell for one game, that's 568 games experience wiped.
It'll fall on deaf ears

The point is I said Carlton's core is more experienced than ours. Goldstein and Heppell aren't are core players, which is the point of my original response.
I reckon Goldstein is integral right now, especially considering the work being in the middle. You guys cannot afford for him to miss any length of time.

You're right on Heppell he is pretty much meh.

This whole argument of who is older or younger re Essendon and Carlton is just dumb.

Or between any sides for that matter. It’s the BF obsession with the side being as young as possible to excuse not being as good, and painting any side older than theirs as about to fall off a cliff.

North are the youngest side going around but they are also dog s**t, I guess that is footballing nirvana.

Back