Who would you rather?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Watching the games this weekend, as well as some inspiration stemming from those super fund ads, I decided to make a little comparison. One of the below players is a Collingwood player who we recruited for cheap (no prizes for guessing who), the other is an opposition player who cost them a boatload. So, I ask, who would you rather?

PlayerAB
Born19981999
Disposals23.323.2
Goals0.40.2
Tackles3.74.5
Inside 50s3.54.7
Goal assists0.80.3
Disposal efficiency69.1%74.1%
Clearances3.23.9
Rebound 50s1.80.8
Score involvements5.84.7
Metres gained293317

Lippa v Cerra?

You’d take Lippa. Cerra has been underwhelming for the Blues considering how much of a blockbuster trade it was

Watching the games this weekend, as well as some inspiration stemming from those super fund ads, I decided to make a little comparison. One of the below players is a Collingwood player who we recruited for cheap (no prizes for guessing who), the other is an opposition player who cost them a boatload. So, I ask, who would you rather?

PlayerAB
Born19981999
Disposals23.323.2
Goals0.40.2
Tackles3.74.5
Inside 50s3.54.7
Goal assists0.80.3
Disposal efficiency69.1%74.1%
Clearances3.23.9
Rebound 50s1.80.8
Score involvements5.84.7
Metres gained293317
I'm surprised Lippa's disposal is worse than the Blooz great hope... Wasn't his disposal supposed to be elite?

I'm surprised Lippa's disposal is worse than the Blooz great hope... Wasn't his disposal supposed to be elite?
It is, but I think given the style we are now playing; the chaos style, that doesn't always shine through. Doesn't matter though, as he gets the job done.

i'd like to see an analysis of all the players that cost multiple high draft picks. I generally think most of them havent been worth it.
I'm with you... Often multiple pick players just aren't worth it in comparison with the potential net production of multi picks. Jeremy Cameron is a star and the Cats will be delighted he's theirs, but even then it was 3 first rounders for an absolute star forward and two future seconds so not a genuine multi pick trade.

And even then... Nail three first round picks in a good year and that's a helluva lot of service you could get for 10+ years.

I'm with you... Often multiple pick players just aren't worth it in comparison with the potential net production of multi picks. Jeremy Cameron is a star and the Cats will be delighted he's theirs, but even then it was 3 first rounders for an absolute star forward and two future seconds so not a genuine multi pick trade.

And even then... Nail three first round picks in a good year and that's a helluva lot of service you could get for 10+ years.

its a good example and he's flying at the moment....and there is an argument for key key key key players....Generational players. I think cameron might qualify. Yes, I would pay multiple for the Bont, but not for the other dog midfielders. If your recruiters cant pick an elite midfielder from a couple of top 10 draft picks, then sack the recruiters. Adam Cerra's price was ok.

The other thing about the cameron trade is that the three picks weren't top ten. People talk about first round picks as if they're all the same. Big difference between pick 3 and pick 20.... a big difference.

Another thing is that cameron and cerra both wanted to go to their new clubs only. I didnt like the adam treloar situation. If a player is caught between two clubs, I'd be happy to see them move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is indeed Cerra. I wonder what the coin comparison is...
I think that this is the key comparison in todays game where you can trade picks and players more readily. Value for money and optimising the use of your salary cap. The other question to ask is over time do their salaries coalesce if the performances are similar. I expect Lippa’s next contract to increase.

This is where Grundy fails with his current post contract form.

If it was based purely on picking one of them, Cerra has a higher ceiling and produced better footy so taking him easily. However, reality encompasses various costs so we have got one hell of a steal. And I hope we do it again and get Matherson from lions.

What happens if you take out the Essendon match where Cerra played 8% game time due to his hamstring injury?
Cerra's averages become:
24.6 disposals, 0.21 goals, 5.2 tackles, 4.5 I50s, 4.2 clearances, 5.3 score assists. So, marginally better

Remove this Banner Ad

Back